Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
Re: Possible ways to (dis)prove FET?....
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
Do you think that the Venus belt appears between the observer and the sun? It doesn't. The video is clearly at sunrise and the belt is to the west. The curvature of the belt is objective, verifiable evidence that the earth is a globe.

I'm just not sure why you'd leap to that last conclusion.  Convince me.
A round subject casts a round shadow. The sun must be below the horizon in order for the earth to cast that shadow, so the sun does not "orbit" above the earth, disproving, as the OP claims, FET. Everyone can see the belt during sunrise and sunset and see it move upward (downward) in the sky opposite the already set (risen) sun, so there evidence is both objective and verifiable. Only a globe could cast such a lengthy shadow, across the entire sky, at both sunrise and sunset.

All right, I see where you're coming from.  I just don't agree that what we're seeing is the earth's shadow.  Thanks for explaining, however.
You're quite welcome. I corrected and augmented my earlier response in red just above. I apologize for my mistakes.

I do ask that you tell us what the Venus belt, that anyone can readily observer at both sunrise and sunset, without special pleading (having to add post hoc to FET to explain it). Thanks!

If you can't then, let's move on to the shape of the terminator. Thanks.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Possible ways to (dis)prove FET?....
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
Do you think that the Venus belt appears between the observer and the sun? It doesn't. The video is clearly at sunrise and the belt is to the west. The curvature of the belt is objective, verifiable evidence that the earth is a globe.

I'm just not sure why you'd leap to that last conclusion.  Convince me.
A round subject casts a round shadow. The sun must be below the horizon in order for the earth to cast that shadow, so the sun does not "orbit" above the earth, disproving, as the OP claims, FET. Everyone can see the belt during sunrise and sunset and see it move upward (downward) in the sky opposite the already set (risen) sun, so there evidence is both objective and verifiable. Only a globe could cast such a lengthy shadow, across the entire sky, at both sunrise and sunset.

All right, I see where you're coming from.  I just don't agree that what we're seeing is the earth's shadow.  Thanks for explaining, however.
You're quite welcome. I corrected and augmented my earlier response in red just above. I apologize for my mistakes.

I do ask that you tell us what the Venus belt, that anyone can readily observer at both sunrise and sunset, without special pleading (having to add post hoc to FET to explain it). Thanks!

If you can't then, let's move on to the shape of the terminator. Thanks.

I still suspect that rayleigh scattering contributes, but I'd like to observe the effect for myself, as I'm not certain I've ever seen the phenomena in reality, before I offer a definitive conclusion.