Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: New here
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
If a question isn't covered in the wiki it has a much better chance of being answered. That's why we so strongly encourage checking the wiki before asking the question. Often the proper approach leads to an interesting discussion which is what most of us are really interested in.

I read the wiki and it did not answer the question of "why would anyone cover up the fact that the earth is flat and who gains".   If it other than Nasa, I missed it.  Please be so kind as to provide a quote.

For me, it's not so much "who" as "when".

People were using celestial navigation in the southern hemisphere at least 300 years ago - they'd have seen the huge differences between RE and FE and the result of that would be in every navigation handbook from the time - and it's not...they all talk in terms of RE.

So it takes a cooperation between at least the British, Spanish and Dutch navies - plus all of the whaling fleets, all of the commercial shipping - and all of the pirates of the time.  With all of those people having to know the difference, the idea of an airtight conspiracy tracking down to the present day seems incredibly unlikely.   This knowledge of how to navigate using the stars would have been passed down both verbally and in books...and probably would have to be built in to the mechanics of some of the mechanical contrivances used at the time.

If you ever get the chance, read the book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel - he describes the tremendous public effort to figure out how to calculate a ship's longitude at sea - and the idea that all of that was conspiracy - right down to actual pieces of equipment that you can see in museums today...it's one hell of a stretch to say that all of that was faked.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: New here
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
If a question isn't covered in the wiki it has a much better chance of being answered. That's why we so strongly encourage checking the wiki before asking the question. Often the proper approach leads to an interesting discussion which is what most of us are really interested in.

I read the wiki and it did not answer the question of "why would anyone cover up the fact that the earth is flat and who gains".   If it other than Nasa, I missed it.  Please be so kind as to provide a quote.

For me, it's not so much "who" as "when".

People were using celestial navigation in the southern hemisphere at least 300 years ago - they'd have seen the huge differences between RE and FE and the result of that would be in every navigation handbook from the time - and it's not...they all talk in terms of RE.

So it takes a cooperation between at least the British, Spanish and Dutch navies - plus all of the whaling fleets, all of the commercial shipping - and all of the pirates of the time.  With all of those people having to know the difference, the idea of an airtight conspiracy tracking down to the present day seems incredibly unlikely.   This knowledge of how to navigate using the stars would have been passed down both verbally and in books...and probably would have to be built in to the mechanics of some of the mechanical contrivances used at the time.

If you ever get the chance, read the book "Longitude" by Dava Sobel - he describes the tremendous public effort to figure out how to calculate a ship's longitude at sea - and the idea that all of that was conspiracy - right down to actual pieces of equipment that you can see in museums today...it's one hell of a stretch to say that all of that was faked.

Very good points.  I started a thread on celestial navigation.  I am curious if I can get real debate.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?