Flight route Sydney to Johannesburg
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
Hi there!

another thread from Sceptom. The flight route that planes actually take to go from Sydney to Johannesburg would look something like the red path (file attached) on your flat earth.

Why? why such a counter-intuitive and obviously longer and more expensive route, and why not the green one?

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Flight route Sydney to Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:45:38 AM »
Hi there!

another thread from Sceptom. The flight route that planes actually take to go from Sydney to Johannesburg would look something like the red path (file attached) on your flat earth.

Why? why such a counter-intuitive and obviously longer and more expensive route, and why not the green one?

Aircraft use instruments.  Instruments follow magnetic field lines, and this would guide it along that route.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:49:52 AM »
Hi there!

Aircraft use instruments.  Instruments follow magnetic field lines, and this would guide it along that route.
No instruments "follow" magnetic fields lines. Even if some did, why would anyone take a longer route just to follow a magnetic field line?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »
Hi there!

No instruments "follow" magnetic fields lines. Even if some did, why would anyone take a longer route just to follow a magnetic field line?

The compass would like a word with you.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:55:36 AM »
Hi there!

The compass would like a word with you.
Since when does a compass follow magnetic field lines? It might point along them if there were no other nearby EM fields.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:12:48 AM »
so it is no longer possible to manually fly a plane anymore, tintagel?
excuse me while i go outside and remove the steering wheel from my private jet
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
Hi there!

The green route on my previous attachment goes above lots of lands. Are you telling me that they are unable to communicate with people on the ground in order to follow the most obvious route? No flight company ever tried this and save millions?

Also, could you please show us the data that says that there is a "magnetic line" along the red route?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
I don't think you have a private jet. I'm suspicious because they are very expensive and so it is already unlikely, and because if you had one, you should have noticed aircraft don't have steering wheels.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:42:08 AM by Thork »

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
Hi there!

The green route on my previous attachment goes above lots of lands. Are you telling me that they are unable to communicate with people on the ground in order to follow the most obvious route? No flight company ever tried this and save millions?

Also, could you please show us the data that says that there is a "magnetic line" along the red route?

I am sure you can google to learn how the magnetic lines of force around the earth are oriented.  Additionally, at the risk of opening an entirely new can of worms, the Green route only appears shorter on your inaccurate disc map.  I don't support the literal disc earth, I support an infinite earth with fractally recursive geography. 

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »

I am sure you can google to learn how the magnetic lines of force around the earth are oriented.
Yes, I certainly can. I found this, where you can see that the red path (from my previous attachment) would actually cross a lot of those magnetic lines, which doesn't serve your argument at all...
EDIT: I'm not sure that the link I provided actually shows the magnetic lines, so I'll search some more. However, the argument of magnetic lines has been brought by you FEers and I'm actually doing your job of refuting arguments- or trying to -  against FET. It's a bit ironic.

Additionally, at the risk of opening an entirely new can of worms, the Green route only appears shorter on your inaccurate disc map.  I don't support the literal disc earth, I support an infinite earth with fractally recursive geography.
Well, it's not my disc map. It's the one I downloaded from FES wiki: here.

In your model of "infinite earth with fractally recursive geography" (whatever that means), what would be the shortest route between Sydney and Johannesburg? Could you show us a map?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:47:21 PM by Sceptom »

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:41:30 PM »

Yes, I certainly can. I found this, where you can see that the red path (from my previous attachment) would actually cross a lot of those magnetic lines, which doesn't serve your argument at all...
EDIT: I'm not sure that the link I provided actually shows the magnetic lines, so I'll search some more. However, the argument of magnetic lines has been brought by you FEers and I'm actually doing your job of refuting arguments- or trying to -  against FET. It's a bit ironic.

You're being deliberately obtuse.  The magnetic field lines run north to south.  Of course you wouldn't literally follow them to travel east or west, but the compass still indicates the direction using those lines.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »

You're being deliberately obtuse.  The magnetic field lines run north to south.  Of course you wouldn't literally follow them to travel east or west, but the compass still indicates the direction using those lines.
No, the geographic and the magnetic poles are not aligned. Why would knowing north from south cause a pilot or any navigator to take a needlessly longer route anyway?

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »
I don't think you have a private jet. I'm suspicious because they are very expensive and so it is already unlikely, and because if you had one, you should have noticed aircraft don't have steering wheels.

FACEPLAM FACEPALM SARCASM

But seriously, the airline companies would save a lot of money to just fly straight.
By the way How many of you live in the northern hemisphere?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »
No, the geographic and the magnetic poles are not aligned. Why would knowing north from south cause a pilot or any navigator to take a needlessly longer route anyway?

Because they assume the earth is a sphere. 

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
just like you assume that the earth is flat, hey tintagel. i think pilots who regularly spend lots of time at very high altitudes would have more expertise on this than you.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:47 AM »
just like you assume that the earth is flat, hey tintagel. i think pilots who regularly spend lots of time at very high altitudes would have more expertise on this than you.

Why would you think that?  The earth looks flat from an aircraft as well. 

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 02:54:05 AM »

Because they assume the earth is a sphere.
So every insect, dinosaur, mammal, including all human pilots, steamboat captains, navigators of WWII convoys to Europe. explorers, throughout history are too stupid to question that assumption at the cost of millions of lives and so much more. You'd think that one renegade would have shown you right with enough documentation to save us all. Oh well, maybe you would get yourself an ocean-going sailboat and save us all. I'm sure a site like Kickstarter would fund your project. Good luck.