Matthew G. Bianco

Pictures in space?
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
What are with all these pictures that people say satellites took? Appearantly the earth looks really round based on these pictures, but the question is, are any of these genuine pictures? Even further, are any of these satellites in space real? What happens to these rockets that launch supposedly out into outer space?
This shoud be the most used argument against a flat earth "well, astronauts don't ever see it flat!"

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures in space?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
Hi Matthew,

I think I replied to your question, but maybe there was a technical issue.

Maybe you have the change to talk to an astronaut who can tell you his experience. Or you could try to become an astronaut yourself! Then you can find out reality for yourself.

But, honestly, according to my knowledge and experience, the earth is round!

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:10:27 AM »
the pictures are actually paintings.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
the pictures are actually paintings.

Any evidence to back that up or just your opinion?

Offline Misero

• Evidence, Evidence, Evidence, and more Evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
"Humans cannot be trusted" is not a proof for a conspiracy.
Nobody should ever follow my standard.  I am the worst moderator ever.
Yes, I'll still keep that in mind on this forum too.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
Hi Matthew,

Maybe you have the change to talk to an astronaut who can tell you his experience. Or you could try to become an astronaut yourself! Then you can find out reality for yourself.

If you believe the Earth is round than it would be a pear shaped, A earth spinning fast is like dough of a pizza spinning and eventually it would flatten out, than people could really see the curvature of the earth.
Jarimee White

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
Hi Matthew,

If you believe the Earth is round than it would be a pear shaped, A earth spinning fast is like dough of a pizza spinning and eventually it would flatten out, than people could really see the curvature of the earth.

You come up with "If you believe the Earth is round than it would be a pear shaped".  It looks like you picked up a bit of a requote from Neil deGrasse Tyson that left out some important information - yes, slightly pear shaped, but since the polar diameter is 7899 miles and the equatorial diameter is 7926 miles it would look almost perfectly round in any photo you are likely to see.

Then you go on and come out with "A earth spinning fast is like dough of a pizza spinning".  Well maybe an "earth spinning fast" might, but the earth is really spinning quite slowly - one revolution in about 23.93 hours (one sidereal day), or 0.000696 rpm!

We can calculate the centripetal acceleration from the earth's rotation by using Acent = (v^2)/RE.  Easiest in SI units, so: The surface velocity at the equator is about 1671 kph, or 464 m/s.
The earth's equatorial radius is around 6,366,000 m.  Hence the centripetal acceleration is Acent = (v^2)/RE = 0.034 m/sec^2.
Compare this with g of at the North Pole of 9.83 m/sec^2.  So the centripetal acceleration is almost neglible compared to the gravitational acceleration!

Really, I think you need a better script writer.  If you are thinking these up fro yourself, learn a bit more about the globe before coming out with more half-baked ideas!

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Rabinoz Where do you get off on talking to newbies like that? Do you feel superior now? Well done, im so pleased for you.

Mathias, of course the pictures took from so called outer space are fake. Its obvious these pictures are being used as proof for globe earth which is no proof at all. Other than these photos there is no proof that the earth is round. There is plenty of proof that the earth is flat and not moving.

Is there a shill infestation in this forum?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Plenty of shills on here, loud , voicetrous, rude know it alls. Flatters are so nice, we even let them stay here, although sometimes I wonder why?
God is real.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Rabinoz Where do you get off on talking to newbies like that? Do you feel superior now? Well done, im so pleased for you.

Mathias, of course the pictures took from so called outer space are fake. Its obvious these pictures are being used as proof for globe earth which is no proof at all. Other than these photos there is no proof that the earth is round. There is plenty of proof that the earth is flat and not moving.

Is there a shill infestation in this forum?
When someone makes a statement like this:
"If you believe the Earth is round than it would be a pear shaped, A earth spinning fast is like dough of a pizza spinning and eventually it would flatten out, than people could really see the curvature of the earth."
He did not come up with words like this himself, clearly he read if from quotes taken out of context elsewhere!
This bit: "it would be a pear shaped", is just a scrap taken from Neil deGrasse Tyson, with the following explanation left out. 
Likewise "A earth spinning fast is like dough of a pizza" is such a stupid statement.  Again I don't blame Jarimee, but the general approach of making completely incorrect and misleading statements about the globe.
Don't blame me, the blame rests squarely on flat earth supporters (probably on Youtube) that take quote out of context try to make the "spinning ball" look ridiculous.

No, I don't feel superior, but how can I let silly statements about the globe stand?

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »
Rabinoz. You completely shut Jarimee down.......not nice.

Just look at the photos on google of Mars or even earth. They are all different. The path finder photos  look like they are from earth.

What worries me is why are they going to these lengths to deceive us so much?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 09:01:39 PM »
Rabinoz. You completely shut Jarimee down.......not nice.

Just look at the photos on google of Mars or even earth. They are all different. The path finder photos  look like they are from earth.

What worries me is why are they going to these lengths to deceive us so much?

They need to maintain the illusion of a space program to intimidate other countries into submission. By claiming to have nukes and rockets to get into orbit America was able to become the world's leading super power after WWII. This is ultimate power that can annihilate countries at the push of a button, and must be maintained.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 04:34:32 AM »
They need to maintain the illusion of a space program to intimidate other countries into submission.
What about countries like Japan which have space programs but no nukes?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
They need to maintain the illusion of a space program to intimidate other countries into submission.

According to a 2014 report they may be developing nukes, which would compliment its developing space program: http://www.infowars.com/report-japan-secretly-developing-nuclear-weapons/

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »

According to a 2014 report they may be developing nukes, which would compliment its developing space program: http://www.infowars.com/report-japan-secretly-developing-nuclear-weapons/
Why would Japan start their space agency nearly 60 years before they start working on nukes (that is of course assuming that the article is true)?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 09:17:07 PM by markjo »

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »

Why would Japan start their space agency nearly 60 years before they start working on nukes (that is of course assuming that the article is true)?

Japan has been relying on international partners (NASA) for those 60 years to do things like put up satellites (stratellites\pseudolites). It is only recently that they have been moving towards an independent space agency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAXA

As JAXA shifted away from international efforts beginning in 2005, plans are developing for independent space missions, such as a proposed manned mission to the moon.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 03:49:55 AM »
Japan has been relying on international partners (NASA) for those 60 years to do things like put up satellites (stratellites\pseudolites). It is only recently that they have been moving towards an independent space agency.

Incorrect.  Although they have used variations of some American designs, Japan was launching its own satellites as early as 1970 using their own rocket designs.
The Lambda 4S or L-4S was an experimental Japanese expendable carrier rocket. It was produced by Nissan and the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science and launched five times between 1966 and 1970 with Ōsumi technology demonstration satellites. The first four launches failed, however the fifth, launched on 11 February 1970, successfully placed Ōsumi-5, the first Japanese satellite, into orbit.

Also:
The Mu, also known as M, was a series of Japanese solid-fuelled carrier rockets, which were launched from Uchinoura between 1966 and 2006. Originally developed by Japan's Institute of Space and Astronautical Science, Mu rockets were later operated by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency following its merger with ISAS.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 08:41:42 AM »

Incorrect.  Although they have used variations of some American designs, Japan was launching its own satellites as early as 1970 using their own rocket designs.
The Lambda 4S or L-4S was an experimental Japanese expendable carrier rocket. It was produced by Nissan and the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science and launched five times between 1966 and 1970 with Ōsumi technology demonstration satellites. The first four launches failed, however the fifth, launched on 11 February 1970, successfully placed Ōsumi-5, the first Japanese satellite, into orbit.

Also:
The Mu, also known as M, was a series of Japanese solid-fuelled carrier rockets, which were launched from Uchinoura between 1966 and 2006. Originally developed by Japan's Institute of Space and Astronautical Science, Mu rockets were later operated by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency following its merger with ISAS.

The Wiki admits that those projects up to at least 2005 required international collaborators (NASA). Japan had yet to show that it could operate a spacecraft independently, the litmus test for a space power. Perhaps they brought some technologies to the table with those projects, but it is unclear who participated in what and under which rules.

Countries like the Netherlands may claim to be a "space power," but they have no rockets, no satellites, and only make that claim because they once paid NASA a lot of money to put a couple of Dutch nationals on the Shuttle/ISS. Hardly a space power. You are only a space power once your space agency can operate independently.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:12:41 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »
The Wiki admits that those projects up to at least 2005 required international collaborators (NASA).
Where does Wikipedia admit that NASA collaboration was required for those projects?  How do you know which projects NASA collaborated on and which ones were entirely Japanese home gown?