Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
Re: How Hard is it to Realize Earth is Round?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
I don't post to convert Tom and his ilk, I post for the undecided or curious.
Which is always much appreciated (except when it relies on lies, but those are easily corrected). The RE'ers' contribution to our efforts is perhaps one of the best recruitment mechanism we've ever had. Couldn't ask for more!

Can you disclose how much money this society has collected from sales and donations?
No problem. Throughout our existence, we have amassed $0.00. We do not accept donations, and our Cafepress storefront has all markups set to 0 - all prices are set by their business.

Ahh, Peter decided to pop in and make another unsupported statement. Cool and thanks for your contributions.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Rama Set

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
Which is always much appreciated (except when it relies on lies, but those are easily corrected). The RE'ers' contribution to our efforts is perhaps one of the best recruitment mechanism we've ever had. Couldn't ask for more!

Can you disclose how much money this society has collected from sales and donations?
No problem. Throughout our existence, we have amassed $0.00. We do not accept donations, and our Cafepress storefront has all markups set to 0 - all prices are set by their business.

Ahh, Peter decided to pop in and make another unsupported statement. Cool and thanks for your contributions.

You asked a question and he answered. Do you think you are entitled to see the finances of the society? This is not a public institution.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
Sadly none of your efforts have managed to prove the earth is anything but round.
On the contrary - we're doing better by the day. As I said, you hecklers make for a great recruitment tool :)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »

You asked a question and he answered. Do you think you are entitled to see the finances of the society? This is not a public institution.

I didn't ask a question.
-Terry50

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
If you take a philosophy of pure empiricism you will find that the earth is flat and that it is the burden of the authority to conclusively prove its case.

Those of us who have assessed their evidence have found the evidence presented to be lacking and questionable, hence our existence.
What aspects of round earth evidence do you find lacking?  Is it satellites, measured distances, angles of the sun?  All easily checked.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
Proving a negative (we don't accept donations) is always a funny subject, but a complete absence of evidence of the positive should be a hint. There isn't a Flat Earth Society bank account anywhere, and if you tried to make a donation, we'd simply tell you there's no way of doing that currently, and no plans of establishing it for the future. (The question has been asked in the past.) If you have found evidence to the contrary, I encourage you to bring it to light.

Regarding the Cafepress store, it's best verified by yourself. Why take my word for it? Take a look at Cafepress's base prices and compare them to our store.

See, this is the thing about RE'ers. They need to be handheld through establishing the blindingly obvious, constantly asking for special treatment because Google is hard. Boo-hoo, your response to some random guy's baseless accusations was unsubstantiated! Grow up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:43:10 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 01:54:20 PM »
Proving a negative (we don't accept donations) is always a funny subject, but a complete absence of evidence of the positive should be a hint. There isn't a Flat Earth Society bank account anywhere, and if you tried to make a donation, we'd simply tell you there's no way of doing that currently, and no plans of establishing it for the future. (The question has been asked in the past.) If you have found evidence to the contrary, I encourage you to bring it to light.

Regarding the Cafepress store, it's best verified by yourself. Why take my word for it? Take a look at Cafepress's base prices and compare them to our store.

See, this is the thing about RE'ers. They need to be handheld through establishing the blindingly obvious, constantly asking for special treatment because Google is hard. Boo-hoo, your response to baseless accusations was unsubstantiated! Grow up.

No Peter, you have a history of popping into threads, saying the equivalent of "you're wrong", and bolting. If you have a point to make, then make it. Otherwise, you're just another low content poster. And your concept of blindingly obvious is certainly up for debate. You think the Earth is flat when it is blindingly obvious to anyone that doesn't buy into the whole "NASA IS LYING!!!!" story that it is a globe.

I never commented on funding for the site, nor do I care.
-Terry50

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
No Peter, you have a history of popping into threads, saying the equivalent of "you're wrong", and bolting. If you have a point to make, then make it.
I did make a point, and I didn't "bolt" (in fact, I'm usually fairly happy to answer follow-up questions if a Round Earther with entitlement issues confronts me on something blindingly obvious - this thread is just one of many examples).

The person in question (not you, as you wisely noted) tried to suggest that I'm profiting from my activity here. This is an accusation that shouldn't require much more than a "lol no" from me, if it was presented without evidence. Nonetheless, since you (not the person concerned, as you wisely noted) have failed to assess the situation for yourself before blurting out a comment, I've provided you with assistance. I hope it helps, and I hope you will endeavour to improve your Google-fu in the future.

For someone who doesn't care, you sure talk a lot, bucko.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:00:17 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 02:11:54 PM »
But fine, I will make you a thread and rephrase it for you yet again.

That's what you said three weeks ago too.

I have just looked back over your last posts - and I don't see where you explained the path taken by the photons.   Lots more stuff about vanishing points and so forth - but no actual description of where the photons PHYSICALLY travel.

What I've seen is two contradictory statements:  (1) That light travels in straight lines and (2) that magic perspective bends it somehow in order to get from 3,000 mile up and 6,000 miles away - and yet to skim the horizon and reach my eye.

If what you say is true - then somehow you have to resolve this contradiction - and you cannot.   You have to continually try to invoke perspective (which implies some kind of focussing device or a pinhole or something) - and you CANNOT explain to us where the actual photons travel without EITHER admitting that light doesn't travel in straight lines - OR that there cannot be sunsets.

Anyway...as before...I await your new thread with a clear explanation...three weeks and counting.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

To be honest, we are in the red. Parsifal pays out of his own pocket to host this community ad-free. Pete and I have also spent our own money to improve our social media following (although I am sure Pete has spent much more than me).

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
To be honest, we are in the red. Parsifal pays out of his own pocket to host this community ad-free. Pete and I have also spent our own money to improve our social media following (although I am sure Pete has spent much more than me).
This is true. I was more focusing on the fact that we have no income to begin with, rather than the balance of expenses.

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 02:40:14 PM »
i've been on .org since the split.  the idea that anyone is using this forum to make money is totally absurd.

round earth dudes and dudettes: chill out a little bit.  lol i think science can survive a few polemics on a web forum.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
No Peter, you have a history of popping into threads, saying the equivalent of "you're wrong", and bolting. If you have a point to make, then make it.
I did make a point, and I didn't "bolt" (in fact, I'm usually fairly happy to answer follow-up questions if a Round Earther with entitlement issues confronts me on something blindingly obvious - this thread is just one of many examples).

The person in question (not you, as you wisely noted) tried to suggest that I'm profiting from my activity here. This is an accusation that shouldn't require much more than a "lol no" from me, if it was presented without evidence. Nonetheless, since you (not the person concerned, as you wisely noted) have failed to assess the situation for yourself before blurting out a comment, I've provided you with assistance. I hope it helps, and I hope you will endeavour to improve your Google-fu in the future.

For someone who doesn't care, you sure talk a lot, bucko.

I don't care if the site makes money or not. More power to ya. I absolutely care about debating the topics on the site.
-Terry50

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
But fine, I will make you a thread and rephrase it for you yet again.

That's what you said three weeks ago too.

I have just looked back over your last posts - and I don't see where you explained the path taken by the photons.   Lots more stuff about vanishing points and so forth - but no actual description of where the photons PHYSICALLY travel.

What I've seen is two contradictory statements:  (1) That light travels in straight lines and (2) that magic perspective bends it somehow in order to get from 3,000 mile up and 6,000 miles away - and yet to skim the horizon and reach my eye.

If what you say is true - then somehow you have to resolve this contradiction - and you cannot.   You have to continually try to invoke perspective (which implies some kind of focussing device or a pinhole or something) - and you CANNOT explain to us where the actual photons travel without EITHER admitting that light doesn't travel in straight lines - OR that there cannot be sunsets.

Anyway...as before...I await your new thread with a clear explanation...three weeks and counting.

Can you not derail every thread TB posts in with this? It is already in your signature. If a thread on the topic comes about, take it there, or another thread where that is the topic.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »

Well that explains why there is no map research.   
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »

And I'm sure we all appreciate the sacrifice.

It should be mentioned though that web hosting services for something as simple as a small Wiki and a 100 post-per-day forum comes in at about $5/month if it's the ONLY web site you host.   I host about a dozen sites with a total of around a terabyte of data and vastly more traffic on a $9.99/month server at DreamHosts...so if you can piggy-back on some existing web site need - the costs should be VERY small.

If you're paying much more than $10/month then you need to find a cheaper web provider.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
It should be mentioned though that web hosting services for something as simple as a small Wiki and a 100 post-per-day forum comes in at about $5/month if it's the ONLY web site you host.   I host about a dozen sites with a total of around a terabyte of data and vastly more traffic on a $9.99/month server at DreamHosts...so if you can piggy-back on some existing web site need - the costs should be VERY small.

If you're paying much more than $10/month then you need to find a cheaper web provider.
I've already tried explaining this to you once, but let's have a go at it again:
  • You have literally no understanding of how we operate, or what Parsifal uses his server for. I don't blame you, but stop acting like you know the use case here.
  • dreamhost.com is ridiuculously expensive for what they offer, and what they offer is different from what we want.
  • I'm not sure how you concluded that by "improving our social media following" junker may have meant web hosting costs, but I assure you that he did not.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:45:06 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »

I've already tried explaining this to you once, but let's have a go at it again:
  • You have literally no understanding of how we operate, or what Parsifal uses his server for. I don't blame you, but stop acting like you know the use case here.
  • dreamhost.com is ridiuculously expensive for what they offer, and what they offer is different from what we want.
  • I'm not sure how you concluded that by "improving our social media following" junker may have meant web hosting costs, but I assure you that he did not.

I don't know why you're on my case about this one - I did CLEARLY say that I was talking about Web Hosting fees and not other stuff.  Please don't assume bad faith.  I've come across sites about as large/complex as this one before who were paying some shysters $50 and $100 a month for "web maintenance" - so it's worth pointing out that there are much cheaper options.   That's all I wanted to pass on. 

Doubtless you could have decided to spend money on things like FaceBook ads or whatever - but I gave no input on that.  I would say htat FB ads and similar social media adverts work best to an already sympathetic audience - and that's not your problem here.

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 03:37:36 AM »
I forgot to ask you directly what do you see on the video i posted. Minute 14.  Please.

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 03:43:21 AM »
Hi have you people ever seen pictures of the Earth?