Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Mistake in the Wiki (Bishop Experiment)
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »
I entered 1.66666666 feet as the viewer height - 250 feet is the hidden amount factoring in for standard refraction.
Fair enough - I failed to account for refraction.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
Current verbiage:
...there will exist a curvature or declination of 8 inches in the first statute mile. In the second mile the fall will be 32 inches; in the third mile, 72 inches, or 6 feet, as shown in this chart. Ergo; looking at the opposite beach over 23 miles away there should be a bulge of water over 350 feet tall blocking my view. There isn't.

Proposed verbiage:
...there will exist a curvature or declination of 8 inches over the first statute mile. Over two miles the fall will be 32 inches; by the end of the third mile, 72 inches, or 6 feet, as shown in this chart. Ergo; looking at the opposite beach over 23 miles away there should be a bulge of water obscuring objects up to 350 feet above the far beach. There isn't.

Two problems corrected here:
- The fall isn't 32 inches over the second mile and 72 inches over the third mile - it's a total fall of 32 inches after 2 miles, and a total fall of 72 inches after 3 miles.
- The bulge of water isn't 350 feet high, but the height of objects it obscures is 350 feet.

I haven't confirmed the 350 foot figure, but the wording makes more sense to me.

Max_Almond

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:02 PM »
259 feet with standard refraction (306 assuming a sphere with no atmosphere):

https://www.metabunk.org/curve/?d=23&h=1.666&r=3959&u=i&a=n&fd=60&fp=3264

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:22 AM »
New proposed verbiage:
...there will exist a curvature or declination of 8 inches over the first statute mile. Over two miles the fall will be 32 inches; by the end of the third mile, 72 inches, or 6 feet, as shown in this chart. Correcting for the height of the observer of about 20 inches, when looking at the opposite beach over 23 miles away there should be a bulge of water obscuring objects up to 300 feet above the far beach. There isn't. Even accounting for refraction, the amount hidden should be around 260 feet - seeing down to the shoreline should be impossible.