Offline Kirsty

• View Profile
Seeing the horizon
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
One thing that stands out to me is how the FES says that ships disappear because we can’t see that far.

However if I have a telescope I can look and see in detail the moon, Saturn’s rings etc. So surely if the earth was flat as you say then by using a telescope I should be able to see the ship while further away than I can with naked eye and would be able to observe the flat plain of Earth much further?
However this cannot be done.

Offline Buran

• View Profile
Re: Seeing the horizon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:23:53 PM »
One thing that stands out to me is how the FES says that ships disappear because we can’t see that far.

However if I have a telescope I can look and see in detail the moon, Saturn’s rings etc. So surely if the earth was flat as you say then by using a telescope I should be able to see the ship while further away than I can with naked eye and would be able to observe the flat plain of Earth much further?
However this cannot be done.

1. In some instances you can pull the ship back into view.

2. The atmosphere becomes too thick to see beyond a certain point no matter how powerful the telescope is.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

Offline Kirsty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
Surely though if I can see through the atmosphere to objects that are 3000 miles away and only 32miles diameter (according to FES) then I should have no problem seeing that same distance horizontally as well as vertically?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:40:49 PM by Kirsty »

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
Surely though if I can see through the atmosphere to objects that are 3000 miles away and only 32miles diameter (according to FES) then I should have no problem seeing that same distance horizontally as well as vertically?

The atmosphere is much thicker at the surface than at higher altitudes. And also notice that during the day you can't see any stars with a telescope because of scattered light in the atmosphere.

A quick Google search gives me maximum vantage distances between 40 and 200 miles.

Offline Kirsty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
The sun is a star and the closest therefore brightest one and because of its light it is not possible to view others during the day unless you have an appropriate telescope and the exact position of where the star is at that time. Only a few can be seen using this technique during the day.

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
Right, I would agree with you. Of course I didn't mean you couldn't see stars during the day with special instruments, I only meant with standard telescopes. And again, you're looking up thru much thinner atmosphere.

I don't know what techniques could be used to see much farther on land. I know SONAR has a pretty limited range. I would be interested to know of any that can "see" thru the haze at that kind of distance.