The International Space Station
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »
The Flat Earth Society's general opinion on the International Space Station is that it is a hoax. However during the 2017 eclipse, the YouTube channel Smarter Every Day was able to capture the ISS transition the eclipse.

Link to video

Although I think the whole video is worth watching, at around 3:23 into the video you can see the ISS quickly transition the eclipse near the bottom right of the eclipse followed by a slowed down and zoomed in capture where you are able to see the shape of the ISS.

They were able to calculate the position of the ISS and the exact time it would pass, thanks to a mathematical formula which is explained in a different video on his channel.

I am just curious on The Flat Earth Society's opinion on this footage.

Kindest Regards

Offline Buran

• View Profile
Re: The International Space Station
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »
I've already started a thread basically about this same thing. It was stated that it was probably a chunk of debris from the creation of the earth that got caught in the upper atmoplane that just resembles the ISS. I don't think you will get a better explanation than that.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:33:03 AM »
Thanks, I thought it was something worth debating whether the Flat Earth Society gave me a solid response or just claimed that the footage was faked. The video is really quite good and has a lot of sturdy science and math behind it, how they were able to get the exact second the ISS would transition the eclipse for example.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
In the other thread Pickel said

In the traditional flat earth model, an explation for satellites would be that they move in a circular path around the north pole because they possess technology to move, or an unknown natural whirlwind-like force may be propelling the satellites.

And she said it may be a balloon.

And she's a genius so she should know.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »
In the other thread Pickel said

In the traditional flat earth model, an explation for satellites would be that they move in a circular path around the north pole because they possess technology to move, or an unknown natural whirlwind-like force may be propelling the satellites.

And she said it may be a balloon.

And she's a genius so she should know.

That's a really odd shaped balloon that I would like to see. So even after all this scientific research is being shown to show that this is the ISIS, they tried this proving it by saying it's debris, or balloon with no actual backing or proof? Also, how much space debris is there that's that size? I think the last record I read said less than a thousand pieces of debris larger than a softball where in orbit.

Offline Zanz

• Flat Earth researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
I've already started a thread basically about this same thing. It was stated that it was probably a chunk of debris from the creation of the earth that got caught in the upper atmoplane that just resembles the ISS. I don't think you will get a better explanation than that.

That argument is invalid. You can almost easily predict the transit of the ISS, and i doubt anyone can predict a transit of a chunk of space debris, that just so happends to resemble the ISS perfectly.
I still believe its round don't worry.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:09 PM »

That argument is invalid. You can almost easily predict the transit of the ISS, and i doubt anyone can predict a transit of a chunk of space debris, that just so happends to resemble the ISS perfectly.

I don't see why we couldn't predict their transit...

With all of the satellites and space junk, they HAVE to track it all. It is a national security and indeed 'world security' issue. They have to know if a GPS satellite or comm or spy satellite or finance related satellite will go down.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
Destin is obviously part of the conspiracy

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
Destin is obviously part of the conspiracy

If you are going to post a video, include some context as to how it relates to the topic.

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »
Does it really matter whether it's a balloon or an orbiting satellite? It's clearly man-made, and the fact that we can get something that high means that we can take pictures from that high, which means NASA can't be mistaken on the shape of the Earth.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »
I'm still curious as to what the Flat Earth Society will respond with.

As far as I can tell there has been only one Flat Earther to post and that was junker doing moderator duties.

To be completely honest I'm a little disappointed that my question appears to have been ignored by the society. Maybe I made it sound too official wherein I asked for the society's opinion. I was just generally asking the community at large.

Based off of what I've been told by Buran I guess my answer will be along the lines of space debris but I thought the Flat Earth Society didn't necessarily believe in space. Even if they do, a chunk of random space debris of that size and shape seems to be highly improbable.

For a reference of the shape of the ISS from NASA.

https://goo.gl/images/gT7rkh

The shape from the footage and that of the above image are similar. You can see the shape of the solar panels clearly in the video.

Again I offer my kindest regards.
S.Hunter

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
I'm still curious as to what the Flat Earth Society will respond with.

As far as I can tell there has been only one Flat Earther to post and that was junker doing moderator duties.

To be completely honest I'm a little disappointed that my question appears to have been ignored by the society. Maybe I made it sound too official wherein I asked for the society's opinion. I was just generally asking the community at large.

Based off of what I've been told by Buran I guess my answer will be along the lines of space debris but I thought the Flat Earth Society didn't necessarily believe in space. Even if they do, a chunk of random space debris of that size and shape seems to be highly improbable.

For a reference of the shape of the ISS from NASA.

https://goo.gl/images/gT7rkh

The shape from the footage and that of the above image are similar. You can see the shape of the solar panels clearly in the video.

Again I offer my kindest regards.
S.Hunter

Not space, the atmoplane. I'm not sure how concrete this is to overall FE theory. If you browse the forum you will see the vast majority of people here are either just trolling or challenging the FE'rs. Why would they want to reply when they are just going to get attacked. Not saying you are, but in general people are pretty viscious on here.

The other answer would be it's a hoax perpetrated by NASA to make you believe it's real by flying some object thru the air to make it appear to be the space station.

There are some topics that are worked out well by the FE'rs, and some that they haven't begun to tackle. This may be one. If I were you I would just read thru the forums to get a feel for what they believe. Have an open mind and you will begin to understand why they believe what they do.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »

Yet its path matches exactly the path that the space agencies intended and mapped out for it? And radio hams make contact with the astronauts on board as it passes by? And it's predictable to the extent that photographers now routinely capture it in transit over the Moon and the Sun?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »

Yet its path matches exactly the path that the space agencies intended and mapped out for it? And radio hams make contact with the astronauts on board as it passes by? And it's predictable to the extent that photographers now routinely capture it in transit over the Moon and the Sun?

That was basically the point I made, but the best answer was debris. Believe me, I know this answer doesnt explain how I knew what exact time to go out and see it cross the entire sky in 3 minutes. It was the fastest thing I have ever seen.

Offline Sydney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 06:33:27 AM »
The Flat Earth Society's general opinion on the International Space Station is that it is a hoax. However during the 2017 eclipse, the YouTube channel Smarter Every Day was able to capture the ISS transition the eclipse.
How do you know what he "captured" was the ISS? Because he said so? Because there is nice, questionable footage?

Link to video

Although I think the whole video is worth watching, at around 3:23 into the video you can see the ISS quickly transition the eclipse near the bottom right of the eclipse followed by a slowed down and zoomed in capture where you are able to see the shape of the ISS.

They were able to calculate the position of the ISS and the exact time it would pass, thanks to a mathematical formula which is explained in a different video on his channel.

My opinion is that I saw video footage of some guys in a field and they had cameras. Footage changed to a scene of some lights, with a small, dark shape sailing past one of the lights. Actual or fabricated with some spiffy software? Possible? Indeed yes! Who knows? What they say in the video and what they presented (spliced in) to me is anathema to any legitimate truths. I am not buying it, but the whole presentation seemed pleasant and seemingly convincing to the average non-thinker.

Kindest Regards

JohnAdams1145

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
How do you know what he "captured" was the ISS? Because he said so? Because there is nice, questionable footage?

My opinion is that I saw video footage of some guys in a field and they had cameras. Footage changed to a scene of some lights, with a small, dark shape sailing past one of the lights. Actual or fabricated with some spiffy software? Possible? Indeed yes! Who knows? What they say in the video and what they presented (spliced in) to me is anathema to any legitimate truths. I am not buying it, but the whole presentation seemed pleasant and seemingly convincing to the average non-thinker.

Kindest Regards

See, this is a perfect example of the difference between Round Earth and Flat Earth on this forum. Round Earth does research and thinking to back up its claims. Flat Earth does mere speculation and what-ifs to try to poke holes in something they don't understand. Your opinion was formed in less than 5 minutes and you didn't even do the most basic of research. How do I know? Because you're questioning whether the video makers faked the video of them observing the ISS from the ground. Well, why don't you just take out your telescope and look toward it?. It's been well-documented that the details of the ISS are visible from the ground to anyone with a good telescope. There are tons of people who have replicated looking at the ISS. So your rebuttal is just an ad-hoc, poorly thought-out, reactionary, and ignorant machination; you didn't even consider that you might be wrong and look up evidence to support your claims.

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 01:15:56 PM »

Kindest Regards

See, this is a perfect example of the difference between Round Earth and Flat Earth on this forum. Round Earth does research and thinking to back up its claims. Flat Earth does mere speculation and what-ifs to try to poke holes in something they don't understand. Your opinion was formed in less than 5 minutes and you didn't even do the most basic of research. How do I know? Because you're questioning whether the video makers faked the video of them observing the ISS from the ground. Well, why don't you just take out your telescope and look toward it?. It's been well-documented that the details of the ISS are visible from the ground to anyone with a good telescope. There are tons of people who have replicated looking at the ISS. So your rebuttal is just an ad-hoc, poorly thought-out, reactionary, and ignorant machination; you didn't even consider that you might be wrong and look up evidence to support your claims.

I have to say I completely agree with you on this. I have learned that any argument that simply tries to cast doubt without actual evidence isn't worthy of consideration. The video of the ISS is evidence. To argue it was a fake requires more than just your say so.

If Mad Mike Hughes were to ever launch himself high enough to prove the earth was flat, and had photos and videos to prove it was flat, I wouldn't try to argue they were fakes just because they go against what I believe. I would take them seriously and look into how a round earth could look flat.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »
There's so much CGI fakery out there, can you blame anyone who questions the videos that have been released, im still waiting for stars in any of NASA's live streams.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »
There's so much CGI fakery out there, can you blame anyone who questions the videos that have been released, im still waiting for stars in any of NASA's live streams.
You think stars are hard to fake?!
I'm laughing at the idea that there's a team in NASA desperately working on this "They're on to us, we have to start faking the stars too!"
That would be the easy bit to fake, it's only points of light. Go outside at night and take a photo of the street, see how many stars show in the photo.
If the street is lit then your camera will adjust its exposure to that and dimmer objects like stars will not show up.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »

Yes I can blame them. It's such an easy out to just say anything that is against my belief is fake.

And yes, people do post fake cgi videos on youtube, but they are easily proven false. Not just a claim, but with actual evidence. Until there is evidence for fake cgi video from everyone that has ever filmed anything in space that goes against flat earth, I won't believe it's just cgi. You need actual evidence.