« Reply #240 on: March 30, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
Bitches, stop.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #241 on: March 30, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »
Well, it's pretty much what Vauxy said. I think SotC is a fine game, but the criticisms Rushy has about boss fights can be boiled down to essentially any game with boss fights. I'm generalizing SotC because Rushy is generalizing Dark Souls. In both games you still have to figure out how to beat the boss before you can actually beat it. You don't see the puzzles in a SotC speedrun, just saying.

In Dark Souls you can beat literally all bosses by dodging and swiping at them with a dagger. No other form of strategy is necessary. Going around in SotC doing nothing but dodging and attacking is never, ever going to work, no matter how hard you try. This is what I was talking about when saying effectiveness and difficulty are not the same thing, you know, in that part of the thread you moved because reasons.

Right, and in SotC literally all you have to do is find out a simple gimmick at the start of each fight, at which point you move on to the exact same climbing and stabbing section as last time. You can think, but you don't have to. Just like in Dark Souls, right?

It's very easy to generalize things like that in every game.

Ghost of V

« Reply #242 on: March 30, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »
Well, it's pretty much what Vauxy said. I think SotC is a fine game, but the criticisms Rushy has about boss fights can be boiled down to essentially any game with boss fights. I'm generalizing SotC because Rushy is generalizing Dark Souls. In both games you still have to figure out how to beat the boss before you can actually beat it. You don't see the puzzles in a SotC speedrun, just saying.

In Dark Souls you can beat literally all bosses by dodging and swiping at them with a dagger. No other form of strategy is necessary. Going around in SotC doing nothing but dodging and attacking is never, ever going to work, no matter how hard you try. This is what I was talking about when saying effectiveness and difficulty are not the same thing, you know, in that part of the thread you moved because reasons.

If Dark Souls was a money grab it would have been more appealing to "casuals"

Oh may gawd my sides.

You do realize you haven't played Dark Souls. Right?  ??? ???

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 30, 2014, 01:59:23 AM »
Right, and in SotC literally all you have to do is find out a simple gimmick at the start of each fight, at which point you move on to the exact same climbing and stabbing section as last time. You can think, but you don't have to. Just like in Dark Souls, right?

Except with Darks Souls it never moves beyond the generalization. It doesn't get more detailed than dodge/swipe.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »

Except with Darks Souls it never moves beyond the generalization. It doesn't get more detailed than dodge/swipe.

And in SotC it doesn't get more detailed than climb/stab.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:00 AM »

Each enemy in SotC requires you to figure out how to climb and where to stab. Dark Souls enemies take damage anywhere and all attacks can be dodged.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2014, 02:10:31 AM »

Each enemy in SotC requires you to figure out how to climb and where to stab. Dark Souls enemies take damage anywhere and all attacks can be dodged.

In SotC you don't even have to dodge anything nor are you ever in danger, you just have to push left stick in a direction until you get to the next obviously marked weak point. It's starting to seem more and more obvious that it's a terribly designed game.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:08 AM »
In SotC you don't even have to dodge anything nor are you ever in danger, you just have to push left stick in a direction until you get to the next obviously marked weak point. It's starting to seem more and more obvious that it's a terribly designed game.

Grasping at straws. Who is really the troll here?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »

Grasping at straws. Who is really the troll here?

I'm simply demonstrating how flawed your generalizations are. If I'm grasping at straws, then so are you.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2014, 04:23:44 AM »
I'm simply demonstrating how flawed your generalizations are. If I'm grasping at straws, then so are you.

Your arguments represent a basic misunderstanding of mine, not a reflection.

« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:48 AM »
This is ruining the thread.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:46 AM »

How so? Do you see any other relevant discussions taking place? Would you prefer everyone just treat this thread as their own personal Dark Souls twitter feed? Because that was the only thing going on before.

"Just beat the asylum demon on my first try #yolo #canttouchthis #bootywarrior"

Ghost of V

« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2014, 06:09:17 AM »
It is a lot more fun this way.

« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »

How so? Do you see any other relevant discussions taking place? Would you prefer everyone just treat this thread as their own personal Dark Souls twitter feed? Because that was the only thing going on before.

"Just beat the asylum demon on my first try #yolo #canttouchthis #bootywarrior"

I'd rather the thread die than rehash the same crap ad nauseam. Not to mention the loss of 7 pages of posts thanks to it.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »

Your arguments represent a basic misunderstanding of mine, not a reflection.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know that. Seeing as you haven't played the game, you have no idea what you're actually generalizing; I do, on the other hand, and I produced the most accurate equivalent argument for SotC that boils down criticisms in the exact same manner. Just like how to an outside observer SotC is just doing that same climbing section over and over again, Dark Souls is, er, I guess rolling and swiping. You know there's more to SotC than that, yet you're hellbent on assuming there isn't anything else to Dark Souls without confirming it yourself in any way, shape or form. You've just seen the fights without the "puzzles", so to speak.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
I'd rather the thread die than rehash the same crap ad nauseam. Not to mention the loss of 7 pages of posts thanks to it.

Thanks to Blanko, the destroyer of threads, you mean.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't know that. Seeing as you haven't played the game, you have no idea what you're actually generalizing; I do, on the other hand, and I produced the most accurate equivalent argument for SotC that boils down criticisms in the exact same manner. Just like how to an outside observer SotC is just doing that same climbing section over and over again, Dark Souls is, er, I guess rolling and swiping. You know there's more to SotC than that, yet you're hellbent on assuming there isn't anything else to Dark Souls without confirming it yourself in any way, shape or form. You've just seen the fights without the "puzzles", so to speak.

Dark Souls is about as puzzling as a 1x1x1 Rubiks cube.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

Dark Souls is about as puzzling as a 1x1x1 Rubiks cube.

It's still more puzzling than SotC, but I guess you wouldn't know.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:06 PM »

There are no puzzles in Dark Souls. You get puzzled a lot while playing it, but that isn't because there are puzzles.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2014, 04:35:09 PM »

There are no puzzles in Dark Souls. You get puzzled a lot while playing it, but that isn't because there are puzzles.

It does have puzzles and it has more of them than SotC, but I guess you wouldn't know.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
It does have puzzles and it has more of them than SotC, but I guess you wouldn't know.

Puzzles and getting puzzled are not the same thing.