Offline AATW

• View Profile
Satellite Dishes
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:47:47 AM »
I'm in India right now on a work trip and I noticed that the satellite dishes point noticeably up more than they do in the UK.
On a previous work trip to Sri Lanka I noticed the angle was even more pronounced there, they almost point straight up.
This makes sense if the dishes are all pointing at geostationary satellites above the equator. The nearer the equator you are the steeper the angle would need to be.
Just wondering if between us as we have members all round the globe (haha, lol, sorry Pete) on here, we could take measurements and see which model they fit best.
Would this show anything? I guess the FE claim could be the dishes are all pointing at different things.

Just thought I'd raise this as a possible line of investigation.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Re: Satellite Dishes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:56:11 AM »
You do realize that there is more than one satellite in the world right?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »
You do realize that there is more than one satellite in the world right?
I do realise that. But they have to be geostationary, otherwise they'd have to be constantly moved or you'd lose signal. From what I understand that put them in orbit around the equator so the angle they point up at should be related to latitude.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

manicminer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
As far as I know FEers don't acknowledge the existence of space based satellites so perhaps that should be addressed first?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
As far as I know FEers don't acknowledge the existence of space based satellites so perhaps that should be addressed first?
Yes well Someone might not acknowledge that bears exist it doesn't stop a bear from mauling them.

Is there evidence that satellites don't exist other than the belief that they don't? Otherwise there is a lot more evidence of the existence than not.
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 11:09:11 AM »
Well, yes, maybe.
But my satellite dish IS pointing at something. I know this from at time my neighbour put up some scaffolding and blocked line of site and my signal went.
The something it's pointing at is in the sky. I'm told it's a geostationary satellite above the equator. That makes sense given my latitude and the angle it's pointing at, and I've observed that the angle of satellite dishes here in India is noticeably steeper and in Sri Lanka - much further south again - it's steeper still.
Now, these dishes might not all be pointing at the same satellite - they almost certainly aren't - but this all builds confidence that they're pointing at some things above the equator, as we're told. If the somethings aren't satellites then what are they, how do they stay up and stay still and are they part of the big Round Earth cover up? Are the satellite TV companies "in on it"? Are they being tricked too?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
FE'ers often suggest that your "satellite dish" is pointing at anything from a distant radio tower to a stationary high altitude balloon or it's receiving some sort of atmoplanic reflection (troposcatter, ionoplane bounce, etc.).
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

manicminer

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Is there evidence that satellites don't exist other than the belief that they don't? Otherwise there is a lot more evidence of the existence than not.

Quite agree, especially as I see them passing overhead each clear night!  Not to mention the satellite images from the Met Office that allow us to monitor the global (?!) weather everyday.  O yes and GPS and mobile phone signals etc etc.  You get my drift.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »
Google street view can help. As a for instance, look at any town on the south coast of the UK, and dishes are all seen to be pointing out to sea. No land-based towers there, so that demolishes one line of CT reasoning.

Look at any large town or city in Australia, and dishes are all seen to be pointing North, from the Southern Hemisphere. Again, look at towns or cities on the Northern coast, and all the dishes point out to sea.

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Max_Almond

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »
Satellite dishes in the far north point almost horizontally. Here's one in Alaska:

And another in Norway:

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 06:30:45 AM »
Satellite dishes in the far north point almost horizontally. Here's one in Alaska:

And another in Norway:

Looks like this Alaskan Satellite TV Tech has to aline the dish at an elevation of 13 degrees, almost straight, to get the green bar signal going (at 2:20):

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 02:17:35 AM »
Just wondering if between us as we have members all round the globe (haha, lol, sorry Pete) on here, we could take measurements and see which model they fit best.
This is not a well designed test. We can't prove the dishes are all pointed at the same object. Regardless of the shape of the earth, it's fairly unlikely we're using the same satellite. We also can't independently verify the information, making it hardly a rigorous and repeatable test.

This is, however, a great way to track the personal information, including physical location, of Flat Earthers.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 03:10:25 AM »
This is, however, a great way to track the personal information, including physical location, of Flat Earthers.
Nice tin foil hat you have there.
Fun fact: no one gives a shit where you are and if they did there are better ways of finding out than you posting your latitude (which only tells you roughly which circle you’re on) and the angle of your satellite dish (which tells you no additional information).
Also, most of the people on here are round Earthers.
Also, it doesn’t have to be your satellite dishes. Note the ones I’ve posted about (although I’ve not taken any measurements) are from work travels.

So, dealing with the non-paranoid part of your post. I already agreed above that there will be different satellites. In fact, there have to be for people in different longitudes. But so long as the satellites are all in geostationary orbit above the equator the angle of elevation will be the same and thus could be used to validate the model.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:13:02 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
Fun fact: no one gives a shit where you are
Those of us who were stalked and/or assaulted for being "wrong" on the Internet will beg to differ. I'm sure it would never cross your mind, but there are some fucked-up people on the Internet.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »
Fun fact: no one gives a shit where you are
Those of us who were stalked and/or assaulted for being "wrong" on the Internet will beg to differ. I'm sure it would never cross your mind, but there are some fucked-up people on the Internet.
Fine. I'll retract the "no-one". But not many people give a shit where you are. I don't give a shit where you are.
And if I did then your rough latitude and a satellite dish angle would not be the way I'd go about finding you were I Liam Neeson.
But anyway, let's not derail the thread. The point was that this could be a potential line of enquiry and a way to test the assertion that these dishes are pointing at a geostationary satellite above the equator. The fact they're not all pointing at the same one is neither here nor there.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
I mean the moment 3 or more dishes are found to be pointing to the same satellite is the moment a satellite exists. You can triangulate it's location from there. Besides, it's not like the guys who come and put dishes up are in on any conspiracy, they're just regular dudes who go out and point dishes at a specific point. No one here even needs to lift a finger, experiment is done!
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
How?