Scottish Independence
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
Having just watched the BBC show about the pros and cons of Scottish Independence, I'd vote yes to independence.

If I was Scottish. But I'm not. But I would if I was.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
But that would be dumb.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
The only good thing to come out of Scotland was The Jesus and Mary Chain. They can't ride on that achievement forever.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »
Alba gu bràth!

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
I think the Yes campaign has the better celebrity endorsements. Susan Boyle is backing the No campaign.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »
The Yes campaign has people who are good at entertaining others. The No campaign has people who understand how economics works.

You decide!

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
I can't believe we got to this point and Ireland still doesn't have our other 6 counties back. God damn it.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:15 AM »
I hope Scotland secedes and joins the EU properly. Then I can visit whisky distilleries when I visit Europe without having to leave the Schengen zone.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
I hope Scotland secedes and joins the EU properly.
Well, that wouldn't happen for quite a while. You see, Scotland would first have to build an economy that at least matches that of Romania.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:45:51 PM »
From the Wikipedia page on Scotland's economy:
In the run up to the referendum on Scottish independence opinions on the likely state of a post-UK Scottish economy are varied. Some commentators believe that a current account surplus would accrue to Scotland (including oil and gas revenues).[71] In response, a spokesman for finance secretary John Swinney referred to “the UK’s deteriorating growth outlook" and noted that Scotland was the only area of the UK outside London to record output growth between 2007 and 2010 and that "among the 12 nations and regions of the UK, Scotland is the third most prosperous in terms of output per head – behind only London and the South East of England.”[72] Contrasting research has indicated that the GDP figures for an independent Scotland have been overestimated.[73] Scotland has 8.4% of the UK population, 32% of the land mass and generates 9.1% (£53.1bn) of UK tax revenues, and receives 9.3% (£65.2bn) of UK spending back from Westminster.[74][75] In 2012-2013, this amounted to a budget deficit of 8.3% of GDP, higher than the UK's overall budget deficit for the same period of 7.3% of GDP.[74] including a geographic share of North Sea oil.

Are you referring to that deficit estimate? The US has had worse and so has Romania. At least that's what a really basic google search tells me.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
Scotland would probably be prevented from entering the EU by Spain to discourage the Basque Separatists from copying Scotland's example.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
Scotland would probably be prevented from entering the EU by Spain to discourage the Basque Separatists from copying Scotland's example.
Spain have already asked for some of Scotland's fishing rights in exchange for their blessing into the Eurozone. I think France and Germany want North sea oil. They'll have nothing left by the time everyone else made a demand.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »
What's the point. If they vote no the UK will cede more powers anyway, the only areas they won't have direct control over are defence and umm... a bit of tax I guess? If they vote Yes, they'll keep the Queen, open borders, the pounds, a combined defence force, but the flag will change...

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
I guess they think they can handle their economy better than Westminster can.

I'm a bit surprised that the government doesn't want Scotland to go independent, there's no Conservative voters north of the border.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »
I would think a lot of it just has to do with the principle of the thing. They've been fighting for independence for a verra long time, ye ken.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:44:38 AM by rooster »

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »
Why is it only the scots that get to vote on British independence? This is very undemocratic.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
Why is it only the scots that get to vote on British independence? This is very undemocratic.

Because of the principle of self-determination. the Scots are looking to remove themselves from the Union, not kick England, Wales and NI out of it.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
What about those that want to remove England, Wales and NI out of Scotland, England, Wales and NI?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:40:14 PM by pizaaplanet »

Thork

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
the pounds
So far, the UK's stance on that was a loud "AHAHAHAHA, NO.", so I doubt they'll get that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10731657/Talk-of-independent-Scotland-keeping-the-pound-is-nonsense-and-totally-wrong.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26166794
They will. The bank of England won't let them leave. If you control the money supply, you control the nation. In fact, it can't be independence without independence from the Bank of England.