Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2016, 01:05:17 AM »
I'm so confused as to how that picture was anti-Semitic. Can someone explain in plain words how it was deemed to be that way?

Well, it comes from /pol/ apparently, so that doesn't do it any favors. But it's the combination of the star-shaped thingy over a bunch of money to insinuate that Clinton is corrupt from Jewish money. The shape alone is not the issue. It stems from a long-standing form of anti-semitism.

This is really just the straw that broke the camel's back. Trump has retweeted or spread messages that originate from white supremacist or neo-nazi sources before, and this is just one more example. His team needs to exercise to message discipline and vet the stuff they put out on his Twitter account.

Seems to me that this is grasping at straws to break the camel's back. It feels like another weak attempt to make Trump literally Hitler. I'm pretty sure Hitler wouldn't have had an hour long speech at AIPAC.

I also doubt Trump is anti-semitic, considering his daughter, son-in-law and grandchild are Jewish.

Rama Set

« Reply #901 on: July 09, 2016, 01:12:03 AM »

Seems to me that this is grasping at straws to break the camel's back. It feels like another weak attempt to make Trump literally Hitler. I'm pretty sure Hitler wouldn't have had an hour long speech at AIPAC.

I also doubt Trump is anti-semitic, considering his daughter, son-in-law and grandchild are Jewish.

You are talking about a guy that said he would date his daughter with her standing right there.  Awareness is not his strong suit.

I don't think he is anti-semitic either, but in this case, I don't the complaints against this message are unfounded, and definitely not weak.  It appears at best, that this is a communications tactic to stir controversy and a) keep people talking about him and b) keep fuelling the ever widening divide between the left and right.

For me its about as blatant as someone with a picture of them self with fried chicken, watermelon and a heineken with a caption reading, "I support black people."  Yes, you can claim, "I really do love those things!", but to lack awareness of how those symbols appear in context is not an excuse for someone running for POTUS.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:48 AM »
You are talking about a guy that said he would date his daughter with her standing right there.  Awareness is not his strong suit.

Who wouldn't date his daughter? Anyway, he voiced his opinion of her attractiveness in a weird way. Listening to him say it doesn't sound at all like he meant he literally wants to date his daughter.

I don't think he is anti-semitic either, but in this case, I don't the complaints against this message are unfounded, and definitely not weak.  It appears at best, that this is a communications tactic to stir controversy and a) keep people talking about him and b) keep fuelling the ever widening divide between the left and right.

For me its about as blatant as someone with a picture of them self with fried chicken, watermelon and a heineken with a caption reading, "I support black people."  Yes, you can claim, "I really do love those things!", but to lack awareness of how those symbols appear in context is not an excuse for someone running for POTUS.

I don't think it's that blatant at all. It's a common marketing shape. The Star of David is a six pointed star, but not all six pointed stars are a Star of David. It just seems like desperate grasping to me, and it helps me feel better about Trump because desperation from the opposition means they're not doing very well. It's just more "Trump is literally Hitler!" nonsense taking shape in the form of conspiratard level straw grasping.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:04:16 AM by Rushy »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 09, 2016, 04:26:40 AM »

The Snopes article does an excellent job of explaining why that's a pretty weak argument to use against Hillary.

Can you provide some additional context to this? A quick search on google and Snopes didn't yield anything for me, but maybe I'm not using the right search words.

Also, do you have an actual opinion on any of this? You are well known for having opinions, as well as writing fairly long reflections. However in this case it seems you've been reduced to short quips, and essentially parroting the narrative for Hillary, which is essentially, "even if she's done shady shit, she's still better than Trump." I think that is a sad position to take, but if I am off base then correct me.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 09, 2016, 08:03:07 AM »

Who wouldn't date his daughter? Anyway, he voiced his opinion of her attractiveness in a weird way. Listening to him say it doesn't sound at all like he meant he literally wants to date his daughter.

To be fair, do we want a president who can so easily say things taken the wrong way?  Just imagine if he says something that is innocent but in a weird way to say.... the Chinese government representative?  They may just take it as an insult.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #905 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »
dudes it's obviously just a sheriff's badge.  he was only trying to imply visually that clinton is corrupt, like a sheriff.

that's why it was changed less than 2 hours after it was posted; he realized how offensive that imagery is to sheriffs.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 09, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
dudes it's obviously just a sheriff's badge.  he was only trying to imply visually that clinton is corrupt, like a sheriff.

that's why it was changed less than 2 hours after it was posted; he realized how offensive that imagery is to sheriffs.

This isn't disingenuous at all

« Reply #907 on: July 09, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »

This isn't disingenuous at all

hey, i'm on your side here.  can you imagine if, after the events in the us this week, he were associated with the proliferation of anti-sheriff imagery?  egg on his face.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 09, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
This is the kind of desperation I mentioned I am glad to see.

« Reply #909 on: July 09, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »
These false attacks by Hillary Clinton trying to link the Star of David with a basic star, often used by sheriffs who deal with criminals and criminal behavior, showing an inscription that says “Crooked Hillary is the most corrupt candidate ever” with anti-Semitism is ridiculous.

The social media graphic used this weekend was not created by the campaign nor was it sourced from an anti-Semitic site [LOL]. It was lifted from an anti-Hillary Twitter user where countless images appear.

The sheriff’s badge – which is available under Microsoft’s “shapes” – fit with the theme of corrupt Hillary and that is why I selected it.

totally disingenuous.  lol added for lols.

George

« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2016, 04:59:28 AM »
Can you provide some additional context to this? A quick search on google and Snopes didn't yield anything for me, but maybe I'm not using the right search words.

The link was in the post I quoted, albeit broken, and I fixed it in my post.  Here it is, just to be clear:

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-byrd-photo-klan

Also, do you have an actual opinion on any of this? You are well known for having opinions, as well as writing fairly long reflections. However in this case it seems you've been reduced to short quips, and essentially parroting the narrative for Hillary, which is essentially, "even if she's done shady shit, she's still better than Trump." I think that is a sad position to take, but if I am off base then correct me.

Regarding the email issue, it is genuinely shitty.  However, I do feel that the issue is receiving something of a, how best to put it, disproportionate response from the Republicans in Congress who are apparently trying to make this out to be the worst political scandal in American history.  Hillary did something stupid, and then she tried to cover it up in a stupid way.  That's certainly not something I want our leaders to be doing.  But it pales in comparison to some of the shit that politicians and/or the government in general have done in recent years and continue to do today.  I don't see this huge, months-spanning investigation being a priority for any other reason other than political ones - that is to say, trying to sink Hillary's presidential campaign, something that I find very frustrating.  To put it another way, corrupt politicians should be investigated and brought down for the sake of justice, not so their equally-corrupt rivals can benefit from their absence.

The latest Trump thing is hardly worth arguing about.  Of course the picture was made by racists, and of course the star was meant to refer to Jews.  Everyone here knows it, and so does Trump, as indicated by his removal of the image when the backlash got too strong.  As his supporters here so often remind us, Trump is a smart guy and a savvy politician.  He knows he has a strong following among racists, and he's doing his best to take advantage of it as much as he can without alienating mainstream America.  Bringing up Trump's family or arguing about what he truly feels in his heart is beside the point.  This is a political tactic of his; nothing more, nothing less.

And while I won't be voting for her myself, yes, Hillary is still preferable to Trump.  I fully agree that it's a sad position to take.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 10, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »
What image are you all talking about?
The Mastery.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #912 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »

The link was in the post I quoted, albeit broken, and I fixed it in my post.  Here it is, just to be clear:

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-byrd-photo-klan]

Regarding the email issue, it is genuinely shitty.  However, I do feel that the issue is receiving something of a, how best to put it, disproportionate response from the Republicans in Congress who are apparently trying to make this out to be the worst political scandal in American history.  Hillary did something stupid, and then she tried to cover it up in a stupid way.  That's certainly not something I want our leaders to be doing.  But it pales in comparison to some of the shit that politicians and/or the government in general have done in recent years and continue to do today.  I don't see this huge, months-spanning investigation being a priority for any other reason other than political ones - that is to say, trying to sink Hillary's presidential campaign, something that I find very frustrating.  To put it another way, corrupt politicians should be investigated and brought down for the sake of justice, not so their equally-corrupt rivals can benefit from their absence.

Nixon was going to be impeached, WITH the GOP backing impeachment, for far less than what hillary did, and with the protection of the Dem party. Sad.

but then the Dems covered for her husband too. "A blow job is not sex" sure thing. Right.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 10, 2016, 11:07:25 AM »

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-byrd-photo-klan]

Nixon was going to be impeached, WITH the GOP backing impeachment, for far less than what hillary did, and with the protection of the Dem party. Sad.

but then the Dems covered for her husband too. "A blow job is not sex" sure thing. Right.
The world we live in sucks, don't it?
Good thing you voted.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Round fact

• Science and math over opinion
    • View Profile
    • Starflight Publishing
« Reply #914 on: July 10, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
Lord Dave. I always vote. IF I don't then I have right to complain about the crap congress and POTUS does.

George

« Reply #915 on: July 10, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
What image are you all talking about?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 10, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »

This is a "tu quoque" fallacy. You can't claim that it's unfair to want punishment for corrupt politicians because the politicians that want to punish her are also corrupt. You constantly try to argue from hypocrisy and I have to be here telling you that's not an argument. Mishandling classified information in Hillary's position gets people killed, and to no surprise, that's exactly what she's done. It's asinine to excuse her corruption because "other politicians are corrupt too!"

The latest Trump thing is hardly worth arguing about.  Of course the picture was made by racists, and of course the star was meant to refer to Jews.  Everyone here knows it, and so does Trump, as indicated by his removal of the image when the backlash got too strong.  As his supporters here so often remind us, Trump is a smart guy and a savvy politician.  He knows he has a strong following among racists, and he's doing his best to take advantage of it as much as he can without alienating mainstream America.  Bringing up Trump's family or arguing about what he truly feels in his heart is beside the point.  This is a political tactic of his; nothing more, nothing less.

Stating things as a matter of fact doesn't make them any more factual, Saddam. As I said before, this is desperate grabbing for straws. "Trump has never outright said anything racist or anti-semitic, so I guess we'll just have to stretch whatever we can find to fit our narrative." - MSM

Of course this picture was made by racists and of course it was meant to refer to Jews. It's claiming that Jews have a cold frozen heart. This is just one of countless examples of a six pointed star shape being used in advertising.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:08:50 PM by Rushy »

« Reply #917 on: July 10, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »
lol so just to be clear, you're comparing the cover of disney's frozen to /pol/ memes...

adorable

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 10, 2016, 05:46:56 PM »
lol so just to be clear, you're comparing the cover of disney's frozen to /pol/ memes...

adorable

It's the same shape, no?

« Reply #919 on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »

adorable

It's the same shape, no?

it is the shame shape, yes.