Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Yes, but I don't like his hair. Should be messy, like this.
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
Regarding Harley. From what's shown here, her personality is completely wrong. She should be giddy and smiling all the time, and her get-up here looks fucking trashy. She never wore crap like this in other media.
Come now, I'm sure that you've been around long enough to realize that characters in TV and movies rarely resemble the character from the original source material.  Apparently the studios think that they know the characters better than the people who created them.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
WB is butthurt about the trailer being leaked and would like to wag its finger at us:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/14/8959615/suicide-squad-trailer-warner-leaked-trailer-reaction

I don't like the Joker's goofy tattoos and teeth, but maybe the writing and acting will be good enough so as to not make it stick out.  And I'm glad they're not just trying to do a rehash of Ledger's take on the role.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:24:25 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
I'm not sure you know cosplayers very well. They're weird, but they're all super friendly and hardly stay in character.
What I was getting at is that to me he comes across more as someone who likes dressing up and roleplaying than a legitimate psychopath. I wasn't making a blanket statement about people who dress up as fictional characters at conventions.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
What I was getting at is that to me he comes across more as someone who likes dressing up and roleplaying than a legitimate psychopath.
Well, he's not a legitimate psychopath. He is just dressing up and roleplaying.

But in the very short time we see him in that trailer, how can you make the judgment that he won't play the part well? That he seems like psychotic than Ledger? What about that short appearance stands out as being disingenuous?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »
"I'm not going to kill you, I'm just going to hurt you" (paraphrased)

Really? That's probably the most generic villainous phrase I can think of. If that's his "cool trailer line", then we're in trouble.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »

Really? That's probably the most generic villainous phrase I can think of. If that's his "cool trailer line", then we're in trouble.
The whole script seems really stupid. Another example: when those two people are talking about setting up the squad, they refer to them as "bad guys." I cringed.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
What I was getting at is that to me he comes across more as someone who likes dressing up and roleplaying than a legitimate psychopath.

But in the very short time we see him in that trailer, how can you make the judgment that he won't play the part well? That he seems like psychotic than Ledger? What about that short appearance stands out as being disingenuous?

Where did I say he wouldn't play the part well? All I've said is that he comes across to me a particular way, whether or not that is right for this particular version of the character remains to be seen.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »

But in the very short time we see him in that trailer, how can you make the judgment that he won't play the part well? That he seems like less psychotic than Ledger? What about that short appearance stands out as being disingenuous?

Where did I say he wouldn't play the part well? All I've said is that he comes across to me a particular way, whether or not that is right for this particular version of the character remains to be seen.
Oops, meant less psychotic up there.
And if you think he seems like just a roleplaying cosplayer then it seems like you're saying he doesn't pull it off well. All actors are roleplaying cosplayers, so if one actually comes across as nothing but an actor then they're not doing a good job. But I may have interpreted your statement incorrectly.

But I'm still curious why you think he comes across as a cosplayer as opposed to the Joker.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »
I am really not a fan of this Joker so far. Those tattoos are atrocious, and his whole design looks like an out-of-touch executive's idea of what's currently "edgy" since they're often way behind.

And ugh, his voice...he sounds like "standard gruff cuh-razy!!! villain #99". Everything about this movie seems like it's going to be a train wreck for me, yet of course I'm going to see it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2015, 08:00:49 PM »
I would not be surprised if the Joker was in Batman Vs. Superman. The trailer hints that the Joker will make an appearance. The Joker appears in The Dark Knight Returns, and BvS seems to be ripping it off wholesale in terms of action and plot. There are items which suggest his appearance. The newspaper:

And the "Ha Ha Joke's on you Batman" scrawled over Robin's costume:

In DKR the original Robin Dick Grayson is dead, and his costume in the BvS trailer seems to suggest that Robin is also dead in this movie. The way Bruce Wayne looks at the empty cowl further suggests that he is retired or semi-retired at the start of the film and brought out of retirement to deal with the issues raised by Superman's debut.

Then there's the rifle scene:

This shot of Batman holding a rifle is an obvious callback to the part in DKR where Batman curiously dawns a rifle:

I submit that, therefore, this movie will be entirely unoriginal, a direct rehash of the Dark Knight Returns. If anyone wants to know the plot or the ending of BvS, one can do so by picking up a copy of the comic book or watching the adapted Dark Knight Returns animated movie.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:04:46 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

But in the very short time we see him in that trailer, how can you make the judgment that he won't play the part well? That he seems like less psychotic than Ledger? What about that short appearance stands out as being disingenuous?

Oops, meant less psychotic up there.
And if you think he seems like just a roleplaying cosplayer then it seems like you're saying he doesn't pull it off well. All actors are roleplaying cosplayers, so if one actually comes across as nothing but an actor then they're not doing a good job. But I may have interpreted your statement incorrectly.

But I'm still curious why you think he comes across as a cosplayer as opposed to the Joker.

I don't really know why, that's just what I thought of when he showed up, and honestly I'm surprised it has sustained conversation for this long. Anyway, I never intended for my remark to be taken for a value judgement, I would have been clear about it if I had, although I can see how it might have been read that way.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
Tom: We already know the movies are based on Miller's comics. This was admitted long ago.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
In DKR the original Robin Dick Grayson is dead, and his costume in the BvS trailer seems to suggest that Robin is also dead in this movie.
Are you sure it's Dick Grayson and not the second Robin Jason Todd who's dead in the comic? Doesn't Alfred ask Bruce something like "Have you forgotten what happened to Master Jason?" when Bruce is thinking about recruiting Carrie?

EDIT:
Indeed. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_The_Dark_Knight_Returns
DKR takes place in a timeline outside the continuity of the DC Universe, but is still considered at least partially faithful to the source material and Batman mythos at the time it debuted, as it makes use of Post-Crisis characters. Certain elements of the main DC Universe did eventually come to match Miller's tale, most notably some of the backstory of the series. For example, Miller's Batman is haunted by the death of Robin, and later the character's lack of popularity led to the A Death in the Family story, where Robin (Jason Todd) is killed by the Joker.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:20:13 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
The movie isn't a direct adaptation of TDKR, Tom.  It's obviously taking a lot of influence from it, but like Snyder pointed out in the article that someone linked a while back, the Superman in the comic is in a very different place than the Superman in the movies.  Also, Jason Todd was the Robin that the Joker had killed in TDKR, not Dick Grayson.

EDIT: What beardo said.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:03 AM »
In DKR the original Robin Dick Grayson is dead, and his costume in the BvS trailer seems to suggest that Robin is also dead in this movie.
Are you sure it's Dick Grayson and not the second Robin Jason Todd who's dead in the comic? Doesn't Alfred ask Bruce something like "Have you forgotten what happened to Master Jason?" when Bruce is thinking about recruiting Carrie?

Perhaps so.

The movie isn't a direct adaptation of TDKR, Tom.  It's obviously taking a lot of influence from it, but like Snyder pointed out in the article that someone linked a while back, the Superman in the comic is in a very different place than the Superman in the movies.  Also, Jason Todd was the Robin that the Joker had killed in TDKR, not Dick Grayson.

EDIT: What beardo said.

So the director is admitting that it will be the same as the comic with exception of the events of Man of Steel that they are trying to shoe horn into this unoriginal sniper rifle-weilding Batman movie. Got it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2015, 02:17:40 AM »
So the director is admitting that it will be the same as the comic with exception of the events of Man of Steel that they are trying to shoe horn into this unoriginal sniper rifle-weilding Batman movie. Got it.
Tom, since when is TDKR the origin story of the Justice League?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:39 AM »

The whole script seems really stupid. Another example: when those two people are talking about setting up the squad, they refer to them as "bad guys." I cringed.

And also, "We're some kind of...suicide squad."  Ugh.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 15, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I like the look of Leto's Joker, there's something very... unsettling about him. Harley looks completely wrong, though. It looks like she's being played as a cloud-cuckoolander who is just bad for its own sake, rather than someone who has been dragged into The Joker's madness. I always thought that the most interesting part about her character was the tragedy of her, a promising young psychiatrist who has the misfortune to fall in love with a dangerously abusive maniac.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 15, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
I like the look of Leto's Joker, there's something very... unsettling about him.

Is it the "I'm unsettling" tattoo on his shoulder?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.