Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a new smartphone
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
I dropped my phone in the toilet while I was pissing last week. Of course it was on and I got a text, while taking it off my belt, down it went into the toilet. I quickly grabbed it, toweled it off and set it next to a heater. Luckily it never turned off, went blank or had any trouble. I am amazed that there has been no trouble from that.
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
I dropped my phone in the toilet while I was pissing last week.... I quickly grabbed it ... I am amazed that there has been no trouble from that.
And it doesn't stink of piss?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
I dropped my phone in the toilet while I was pissing last week.... I quickly grabbed it ... I am amazed that there has been no trouble from that.
Of course not, you don't smell urine on this post, do you?
God is real.

Thork

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
Of course not, you don't smell urine on this post, do you?
Sniffing posts for urine is something a dog might do.

I'll just take your word for it that fishing a phone out of a pissed filled toilet, towelling it and leaving it by a heater would somehow cleanse it of urine entirely and that you aren't walking around with that thing smelling like you've pissed your pants.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »
I think hoppy smells like he pissed his pants anyway, so no one will notice anything different.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
Bloody hell that's cheap.

It is. I am curious to see the build quality and responsiveness, but my expectations are not very high.

So my BLU Studio 5.0 HD LTE arrived. I must say, I am impressed by its initial performance. The screen is decent, comparable to 720P smartphone screens I have seen. The phone is plastic, but the build quality is just as good as other Android phones like the Nexus 5. The various bands work as advertised. I am on T-Mo, popped in my SIM and was pulling 45Mb on LTE. Performance is good, at least switching between apps and such. Haven't tried any games. Tested out Netflix, looked really good. Call quality is just as good as any other Android phone I have used. I haven't tested the camera yet, and can't comment on battery life since I haven't used it much.

My verdict is that it is worth every penny of its $170 price tag, considering that is for an unlocked, unsubsidized phone (still a thing here in the US). It comes with a charger, silicon case, screen protector, and headphones. A very good deal indeed. I am going to order one of their Windows Phone models today to test that out. They don't have a Windows model that supports LTE, but that is okay since it is just a test unit.

Rama Set

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
Bloody hell that's cheap.

It is. I am curious to see the build quality and responsiveness, but my expectations are not very high.

So my BLU Studio 5.0 HD LTE arrived. I must say, I am impressed by its initial performance. The screen is decent, comparable to 720P smartphone screens I have seen. The phone is plastic, but the build quality is just as good as other Android phones like the Nexus 5. The various bands work as advertised. I am on T-Mo, popped in my SIM and was pulling 45Mb on LTE. Performance is good, at least switching between apps and such. Haven't tried any games. Tested out Netflix, looked really good. Call quality is just as good as any other Android phone I have used. I haven't tested the camera yet, and can't comment on battery life since I haven't used it much.

My verdict is that it is worth every penny of its $170 price tag, considering that is for an unlocked, unsubsidized phone (still a thing here in the US). It comes with a charger, silicon case, screen protector, and headphones. A very good deal indeed. I am going to order one of their Windows Phone models today to test that out. They don't have a Windows model that supports LTE, but that is okay since it is just a test unit.

Wait.  What happened to your iPhone 6 Plus?  Are you just being a baller?

Thork

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
He probably sat on it and it bent.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

I still have my 6 Plus, which is my daily driver. Part of my job is to stay up to date on tech. Since I don't use Android phones anymore, I order units to test with which work pays for and I keep. So yes, I am just being a baller.

Oh totally, I watched those videos where a guy applies 642 billion pascals of pressure and the phone slightly bends. Unheard of in any phone ever created before.

It is just as pristine as the day I bought it.

Rama Set

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »

I still have my 6 Plus, which is my daily driver. Part of my job is to stay up to date on tech. Since I don't use Android phones anymore, I order units to test with which work pays for and I keep. So yes, I am just being a baller.

Oh totally, I watched those videos where a guy applies 642 billion pascals of pressure and the phone slightly bends. Unheard of in any phone ever created before.

It is just as pristine as the day I bought it.

After dropping my phone almost daily because I am dumb and have not gotten a case, I finally cracked the screen. It took a drop from about 5ft up on to pavement. I have always found the iPhone to be extremely durable.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »
After dropping my phone almost daily because I am dumb and have not gotten a case, I finally cracked the screen. It took a drop from about 5ft up on to pavement. I have always found the iPhone to be extremely durable.

They are very durable, and the build quality is fantastic.

In other news, I am going to test out one of their Windows Phone models. Specifically, this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQGFQ7C/ref=s9_al_bw_g107_i3/184-1249409-2744814

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »
My Blu Win HD Windows Phone arrived today. I ended up ordering from Microsoft since it is $149 there, unlocked. I will fire it up here in a bit so I can test it out.

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:27 AM »
Lol at iPhones being durable. My mates with iPhones are all running big cracks across the screens. Sure, the ones with galaxies are too, but that just goes to show that all phones are fragile.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2015, 05:13:15 AM »
You need better mates. People who don't take care of their phones can't be good friends.

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2015, 06:35:08 AM »
You need better mates. People who don't take care of their phones can't be good friends.

u wot m8

Rama Set

« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »
Lol at iPhones being durable. My mates with iPhones are all running big cracks across the screens. Sure, the ones with galaxies are too, but that just goes to show that all phones are fragile.

Meh, I never got a crack in an iPhone until recently and even then, it took a lot of drops to get this crack.

Ghost of V

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »

I agree with this.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:19 PM »
My Blu Win HD Windows Phone arrived today. I ended up ordering from Microsoft since it is $149 there, unlocked. I will fire it up here in a bit so I can test it out.

I finally had some time to test out this phone. While I was greatly impressed with their Android offering, this phone was a bit underwhelming. The build quality was fine. Maybe it is just that Windows Phone OS blows but it just doesn't seem very intuitive. The phone itself has most of the features one would expect, and they all function. The visual transitions look nice, but get choppy on occasion, maybe because of the hardware, I am not really sure. It has dual SIMs, which can be handy when needed. It does have the best implementation of Outlook for those using Exchange or a hosted Microsoft e-mail solution. Overall, I'd use this phone if I was in a pinch and needed something cheap, but the Android of a similar price is much more functional in terms of being a smartphone.

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2015, 01:46:07 AM »
But my S5 is neither slow not choppy
Neither is my note 3...its a beast