Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Cynicism
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »
Everything you do is an attempt by your brain to improve your own state of mind.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 12:31:05 AM »
Everything you do is an attempt by your brain to improve your own state of mind.

No part of that sentence makes sense.

Ghost of V

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »

Please see markjo's avatar.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:45:22 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 01:56:51 AM »

Vauxhall doesn't even know what cynicism means. You should probably know about shit before you make topics about it homie.

Ghost of V

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 02:33:58 AM »

Vauxhall doesn't even know what cynicism means. You should probably know about shit before you make topics about it homie.

There are a few different meanings of the word.

Why don't you try your e-bully tactics on someone else?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 02:38:05 AM »

There are a few different meanings of the word.

Why don't you try your e-bully tactics on someone else?

Actually, you posted something deconstructive before I did. I was going to attempt to have a legitimate discussion, but you'd rather derail your own thread.

Ghost of V

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 02:43:04 AM »
Thork, perhaps? He's always a good target.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 02:44:38 AM »
We are products of nature and unless you posit a supernatural (or extranatural, if you prefer)...
Actually, I prefer the term "unnatural" for things that are not natural.  Supernatural has more of a ghostly or magical implication.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »
We are products of nature and unless you posit a supernatural (or extranatural, if you prefer)...
Actually, I prefer the term "unnatural" for things that are not natural.  Supernatural has more of a ghostly or magical implication.

Everything that's part of our universe is natural, Markjo. Nice effort though.

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 02:51:53 AM »
Semantics on TFES? Colour me surprised.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 05:05:06 AM »

Yes, because we all know that Apple computers grow on trees. ::)

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 06:33:20 AM »

Why is getting built by a tree more natural than getting built by a human? Malus sp is not more natural than Homo sapiens
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Ghost of V

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »

No, but trees helped make them. Imagine all the paper shuffling around the Apple offices.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

Why is getting built by a tree more natural than getting built by a human? Malus sp is not more natural than Homo sapiens
Because making an apple is an innate ability of an apple tree.  Making an Apple computer is not an innate ability of a human.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 03:21:42 PM »
Making an Apple computer is not an innate ability of a human.
How so? Clearly humans are able to do so without outside intervention of non-humans.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
How so? Clearly humans are able to do so without outside intervention of non-humans.
Incorrect.  A computer cannot be made without the use of many different man-made machines.  Or do you really think that a human can successfully layout the billions of transistors required in modern cpus without nonhuman assistance?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:28:09 PM by markjo »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »

Pedants Corner:
Innate is the word you wilfully ignored here, an apple tree will plough out apples while the conditions allow because it is innate, in the genes, no learning involved.

This whole nit-picking debate about what is “natural” would annoy the shit out of the cynics as it kind of proves their point, perhaps complexity would be a better word, but I dare say someone will hit the online dictionaries to disprove this.

Picking an apple to eat is natural, cooking it is a complication, another layer of naturalness maybe? Eventually the layers mount up until, to live the life you have would be impossible without a complex culture. To make a battle ship or apple-mac, takes not only umpteen more layers but generations of knowledge and shit loads of people and resources only available to a complex society.

Therefore the more layers of complexity the less “natural”, nowhere more so than in social life where the wealth and power, is not about having a few more apples and a bigger club, but a whole system that nurtures, encourages and protects the wealthy and powerful, so that some wizened up scrote’ can take my apples from me because he has an army.

Jroa, lend me a gun.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Markjo: is a bird nest natural?  Why or why not?
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 08:02:01 AM »
Apparently, something is only natural if it's made by a creature below a certain intelligence threshold or not made by a creature at all. That's a pretty weird standard.