Rama Set

Re: Nuclear Non-Proliferation and its actual impact
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
But using renewable energy at home would allow for more oil to be exported. That should be pretty beneficial to the region.

He said "...when the oil industry starts to implode" which is referring to the eventuality that the oil will run out since it is a finite resource. Saudi Arabia won't run out for a long time, but Iran isn't quite so lucky. Iran's limited supply combined with China's outrageous consumption will only end in economic depression sooner or later.

If the oil industry is imploding why would they fear its replacement?  I think, and hopefully Tausami jumps in to clarify, that he meant the development of renewable energy before the oil is running out.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 01:06:25 AM »
But using renewable energy at home would allow for more oil to be exported. That should be pretty beneficial to the region.

He said "...when the oil industry starts to implode" which is referring to the eventuality that the oil will run out since it is a finite resource. Saudi Arabia won't run out for a long time, but Iran isn't quite so lucky. Iran's limited supply combined with China's outrageous consumption will only end in economic depression sooner or later.

If the oil industry is imploding why would they fear its replacement?  I think, and hopefully Tausami jumps in to clarify, that he meant the development of renewable energy before the oil is running out.

They fear it's replacement because solar power won't pay the bills.
By imploding, I think it's meant that oil is no longer profitable/possible to produce to sustain your nation's economy.  As such, your budget goes to shit, your people go poor, and the entire region destabilizes as people use the opportunity to mobilize the massive force of desperate and angry people around a common enemy (Jews or America).

I hope, when oil does crumble, that the entire middle east attacks Israel again and the US, not giving anymore fucks about oil in the middle east, leaves them to their own fate. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 01:49:56 AM »

This is indeed what I mean. If Israel, or any other Middle Eastern power, were to effectively use solar power then that would encourage other nations to look into renewable resources. They would have to find solutions to all of the massive problems associated with solar-powered infrastructure, and then everyone else would be able to use their solutions.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Rama Set

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 03:17:20 AM »

They fear it's replacement because solar power won't pay the bills.
By imploding, I think it's meant that oil is no longer profitable/possible to produce to sustain your nation's economy.  As such, your budget goes to shit, your people go poor, and the entire region destabilizes as people use the opportunity to mobilize the massive force of desperate and angry people around a common enemy (Jews or America).

I hope, when oil does crumble, that the entire middle east attacks Israel again and the US, not giving anymore fucks about oil in the middle east, leaves them to their own fate. 

Then that is nonsensical and, as Tausami mentioned, not what he meant. If the oil industry is already imploding why would they fear further implosion?  Obviously there would be a search for other industries. Perhaps silicon crystals from the sand or some shit. No one really cares.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2015, 08:43:53 PM »
MAD has a fucked up logic that seems to work in a world that is relatively stable and on the up, but we are seeing signs that it may not always be so.
Increasing nationalism, overpopulation, the proliferation of religious intolerance coupled with a really serious pandemic or a big natural disaster that destabilised a major region and we could be back to the mad Max state of dark ages Europe. If some end of days cult hero of the future gets their hands on them, boosh! Limit them and work seriously to stop proliferation.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.