Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
New Georgia Law and Corporations
« on: April 04, 2021, 06:09:55 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/03/984150680/georgia-governor-criticizes-mlb-for-buying-into-liberal-lies-about-new-election-

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-annotated.html

So basic summary:
Georgia enacted a law to change voting.  Alot of things shifted: What machines you can use, absentee ballot rules, ID requirements, where early voting and mail in voting ballots can be dropped off and when, registration rules, etc... 

Also: Its illegal to give out water or food to someone in line.  In Georgia.  So if I wanna walk around selling bottled water, I'm going to jail.  If I run up and give my friend a swig of my ice cold soda, I'm going to jail.

Some of it sounds good but its definitely something that poorer people are going to struggle with.  I think there would be far less backlash if they added in a provision to give everyone a state ID off the bat.  Or even just a voter ID.

Also not letting polling places get 3rd party funds... I'm ok with.  Provided the governor gives them the money they need. 

However, being able to remove election officials at will is... not a good thing.

And now I'm reading up on voting ID requirements.  Its not too bad.  But it also depends on where these  DDS Customer Service Centers are located and their hours.  Which is basic DMV style stuff.
They should have let these things be done at the Post Office.  Would have made this much easier for people.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
Re: New Georgia Law and Corporations
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 09:34:26 PM »
I have a theory that the no water for people in lines thing is meant to distract from the fact that this bill basically gives the most extreme conservative part of the state government the power to override any election.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 11:08:33 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/03/984150680/georgia-governor-criticizes-mlb-for-buying-into-liberal-lies-about-new-election-

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-annotated.html

So basic summary:
Georgia enacted a law to change voting.  Alot of things shifted: What machines you can use, absentee ballot rules, ID requirements, where early voting and mail in voting ballots can be dropped off and when, registration rules, etc... 

Also: Its illegal to give out water or food to someone in line.  In Georgia.  So if I wanna walk around selling bottled water, I'm going to jail.  If I run up and give my friend a swig of my ice cold soda, I'm going to jail.

Some of it sounds good but its definitely something that poorer people are going to struggle with.  I think there would be far less backlash if they added in a provision to give everyone a state ID off the bat.  Or even just a voter ID.

Also not letting polling places get 3rd party funds... I'm ok with.  Provided the governor gives them the money they need. 

However, being able to remove election officials at will is... not a good thing.

And now I'm reading up on voting ID requirements.  Its not too bad.  But it also depends on where these  DDS Customer Service Centers are located and their hours.  Which is basic DMV style stuff.
They should have let these things be done at the Post Office.  Would have made this much easier for people.
The water thing is pure bs.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »

So basic summary:

In what way? 
That they shouldn't have written it in or that it doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means and you, being a legal expert, can explain what it actually means?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

So basic summary:

In what way? 
That they shouldn't have written it in or that it doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means and you, being a legal expert, can explain what it actually means?
In several ways.

The law doesn't state voters waiting cannot have water.

They can bring their own water. A family member can bring them water. A friend can bring them water.

The law states the election staff are not responsible to provide water (although many polls already have available fountains) and that people who are electioneers (People advocating for a specific party or candidate) cannot provide water.

Like I wrote, just a bs nothing burger.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:22:25 AM »
The Post Office does not have the state employees on hand to handle voter registration.

Any person in any state can already register to vote via their motor vehicle department or their county courthouse.

The whole, "I cannot get an ID to vote," is also BS.

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
In several ways.

They can bring their own water. A family member can bring them water. A friend can bring them water.

I am not sure where in the code you are seeing that family or friends can bring water to an elector.

The law states the election staff are not responsible to provide water (although many polls already have available fountains) and that people who are electioneers (People advocating for a specific party or candidate) cannot provide water.

Not exactly, it says:

SECTION 33.
1868 Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code
1869 Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling
1870 within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates
1871 from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:
1872 "(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any
1873 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give,
1874 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and
1875 drink, to an elector,
nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any
1876 person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables
1877 or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast:
1878 (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is
1879 established;
1880 (2) Within any polling place; or
21 SB 202/AP
S. B. 202
- 74 -
1881 (3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
1882 These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which
1883 cannot be seen or heard by such electors."
1884 "(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing
1885 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors
1886 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely
1887 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from
1888 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in
1889 line to vote."

Source: https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2021/04/Georgia-election-law-SB-202.pdf

I bolded the relevant section to giving food and drink.  It does not say anything about the food or drink having to relate to the collection or solicitation of votes whereas every other clause does make specific mention of solicitation.  It is open to interpretation what soliciting votes is as well.  Also, who cares if a democrat gives an undecided voter water when they are waiting in line.  The GOP is really just hanging on by a thread because their policies are unpopular and they can't market themselves well so they really have no chance of winning an election without fuckery.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »
In several ways.

I am not sure where in the code you are seeing that family or friends can bring water to an elector.

Not exactly, it says:

SECTION 33.
1868 Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code
1869 Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling
1870 within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates
1872 "(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any
1873 person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give,
1874 or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and
1876 person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables
1878 (1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is
1879 established;
21 SB 202/AP
S. B. 202
- 74 -
1881 (3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
1882 These restrictions shall not apply to conduct occurring in private offices or areas which
1884 "(e) This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing
1885 materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors
1886 or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely
1887 for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from
1888 making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in
1889 line to vote."

Source: https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2021/04/Georgia-election-law-SB-202.pdf

I bolded the relevant section to giving food and drink.  It does not say anything about the food or drink having to relate to the collection or solicitation of votes whereas every other clause does make specific mention of solicitation.  It is open to interpretation what soliciting votes is as well.  Also, who cares if a democrat gives an undecided voter water when they are waiting in line.  The GOP is really just hanging on by a thread because their policies are unpopular and they can't market themselves well so they really have no chance of winning an election without fuckery.
Good thing the bolded section isn't the law signed by the governor.

The law in place states that electioneering groups cannot set up what is essentially picnic areas outside a polling station.

Neither you or the  OP have a clue about voting laws in the US if either of you are holding on to this silly idea that people, if they are even waiting in line to vote (having worked polling places for over 30 years, they typically do not need to wait more than 10 - 15 minutes on the outside of the range) cannot get a drink of water.

The real issue that needs to be driven home is this: A person too stupid to satisfy his/her own thirst shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »
In several ways.

Not exactly, it says:

SECTION 33.
1879 established;
21 SB 202/AP
S. B. 202
- 74 -
1889 line to vote."

It’s in SB202 so I don’t know what distinction you are trying to make.

The law in place states that electioneering groups cannot set up what is essentially picnic areas outside a polling station.

Incorrect.

Neither you or the  OP have a clue about voting laws in the US if either of you are holding on to this silly idea that people, if they are even waiting in line to vote (having worked polling places for over 30 years, they typically do not need to wait more than 10 - 15 minutes on the outside of the range) cannot get a drink of water.

Go on. Make up more shit I never said.

The real issue that needs to be driven home is this: A person too stupid to satisfy his/her own thirst shouldn't be allowed to vote.

That’s not how it works. You might want to live somewhere else if you think that.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »
Quote from: Rama Set
I bolded the relevant section to giving food and drink.  It does not say anything about the food or drink having to relate to the collection or solicitation of votes whereas every other clause does make specific mention of solicitation.

Actually, what you quoted has a header that it applies to people campaigning and polling. Right at the top of what you quoted says that it applies to people campaigning:

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code
Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling
within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates
from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:

The food and drink point is in that section, after 'as follows' in (a).

Also, who cares if a democrat gives an undecided voter water when they are waiting in line.

It is immoral to target a polling place where people are gathering to vote, to reach people who are otherwise not coming to your events.

Many of the positions on a city ballot are unknown and anonymous to voters. They are picking between two unknown people for some positions. People without information on the candidates may merely vote for 'Steve Garcia' as City Supervisor simply because he gave them a water bottle 10 minutes before they voted. This is not a legitimate way to campaign.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:31:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 04:55:21 PM »
I bolded the relevant section to giving food and drink.  It does not say anything about the food or drink having to relate to the collection or solicitation of votes whereas every other clause does make specific mention of solicitation.

Actually, what you quoted has a header that it applies to people campaigning and polling. Right at the top of what you quoted says that it applies to people campaigning:

Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code
Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling
within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates
from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:

The food and drink point is in that section, after 'as follows' in (a).

Yeah I got that, but there isn't an accompanying definition of what qualifies as electioneering or polling.  I think its probably something that will never be prosecuted, but it the legislation could stand to be clearer.

It is immoral to target a polling place where people are gathering to vote, to reach people who are otherwise not coming to your events.

This is extremely dramatic and also nonsensical.

Many of the positions on a city ballot are unknown and anonymous to voters. They are picking between two unknown people for some positions. People without information on the candidates may merely vote for 'Steve Garcia' as City Supervisor simply because he gave them a water bottle 10 minutes before they voted. This is not a legitimate way to campaign.

Ideally all campaigning would be done on issues and not marketing, but using marketing to campaign is absolutely legitimate.  If you wanted to have elections that were run solely on issues and by people who are qualified to hold the office they are running for, then why would you support Trump?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
Targeting a non-partisan polling place where people are gathering to vote and bribing them to vote for your partisan politics with food and water is a cheap tactic, and it is not surprising that very outspoken liberals here are in high favor of it.

There isn't really anything more to be said than it's wrong, and that you need to campaign fairly in a manner that doesn't involve targeting people just before they vote at a non-partisan government polling place, and in a way that does not involve giving them gifts to curry favor.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »
Targeting a non-partisan polling place where people are gathering to vote and bribing them to vote for your partisan politics with food and water is a cheap tactic, and it is not surprising that very outspoken liberals here are in high favor of it.

There isn't really anything more to be said than it's wrong, and that you need to campaign fairly in a manner that doesn't involve targeting people just before they vote at a non-partisan government polling place, and in a way that does not involve giving them gifts to curry favor.

lol ok, Bom.  Those bastards gave out water!!!!  Is there nothing they won't do!?!  If both sides can do it, it isn't unfair is it?  I'm not surprised you will employ teenage dramatics to make it seem like giving out water is a horrible abuse of power.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
It has been illegal to campaign at polling places for quite a while. Candidates giving out food and water at polling places is just another form of campaigning. It is not their role to have any presence or influence at a non-partisan government polling place.

Maybe you are also in support of people putting up pictures of dead fetuses and signs that say things like "XX Supports Abortion up to the Moment of Birth" outside of polling places too, replete with gruesome imagery and horrid slogans, in an effort to disgust and disincentivize voters as they walk in to vote? Ludicrous.

Wrong on all counts. Candidates who attempt to exert influence or curry favor at a polling place in any manner is improper.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:24:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »
It has been illegal to campaign at polling places for quite a while. Candidates giving out food and water at polling places is just another form of campaigning. It is not their role to have any presence or influence at a non-partisan government polling place.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  As with most things in life, there is nuance.  Assuming that all distribution of water is necessarily an influence campaign is bereft of nuance.  You will understand one day.

Maybe you are also in support of people putting up pictures of dead fetuses and signs that say things like "XX Supports Abortion Up to the Moment of Birth" outside of polling places too, replete with gruesome imagery and horrid slogans, in an effort to disgust and disincentivize voters as they walk in to vote? Ludicrous.

Wrong on all counts. Candidates who attempt to exert influence or curry favor at a polling place in any manner is improper.

Interesting, I can sit back and just watch you argue with imaginary Rama Set.  Go on.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 06:49:54 PM »
If you are going to allow campaigning and gift giving and political influence at polling places then you have to also allow the abortion signs and gruesome imagery and dozens of people screaming at voters about abortion as voters walk in. Freedom of speech. Why not?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:52:23 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
Understand that this move by Republicans has nothing to do with election integrity. 

Corruption in our electoral system has to do with gerrymandering, corporate money, ballot access laws. None of this is being addressed by the Republicans. This is about making it easier for the right people to vote and harder for the wrong people to vote. It is about the Republicans losing control of the state of Georgia and doing whatever it takes to regain it.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
Understand that this move by Republicans has nothing to do with election integrity. 

Corruption in our electoral system has to do with gerrymandering, corporate money, ballot access laws. None of this is being addressed by the Republicans. This is about making it easier for the right people to vote and harder for the wrong people to vote. It is about the Republicans losing control of the state of Georgia and doing whatever it takes to regain it.

And it’s playing out all over the country. Makes the never Trumpers seem like the most bipartisan people around.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 07:24:47 PM »
Republicans have known their party was dying for years. They are getting more and more corrupt in general in their desperate bid to hold on to power. They're being more blatant now than ever in their attempts at voter suppression because they have no choice. And it will only get worse as the country gets less white.

I'm not saying the Republican Party is dying real soon, but it's dying, and it's only these desperate stabs at voter suppression that are keeping them relevant. One popular vote win in the last eight presidential contests is all you need to know to understand why they are so desperate.

It must be frustrating that they can't hide it anymore. I think that with social media and the publicity that's been generated around the Georgia voting laws more people are aware of what the Republicans are doing than ever before. It doesn't matter, because they will probably continue getting away with it, and they will definitely continue to be a dying entity. But at least we get entertaining little episodes like Mitch Mcconnell having conniptions over corporations daring to get involved in politics, after arguing just a few years ago that they should be treated as people and have that very right. We already knew that Mitch Mcconnell is a hypocrite; they all are. But I love these little reminders.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »
In several ways.

Not exactly, it says:

SECTION 33.
1879 established;
21 SB 202/AP
S. B. 202
- 74 -
1889 line to vote."

Then please post the law the governor did sign.  Because rama posted what foxnews said is the law so.... Isn't that supposed to be trusted by you?

Also: 15 min. Lines are great.  This doesn't mean its the norm everywhere.  I realize you may have lived a sheltered life and I hate to shatter the illusion but... Well... Not every place in America is like the place you live.