A World Builder Exploring the Mechanics of Flat Worlds
« on: June 03, 2020, 05:19:21 AM »
Hi! I'm a worldbuilder who's trying to make a fictional world that is a discworld of sorts. Im only used to making maps of globe worlds though and I wanted to ask some questions regarding the flat earth ideas of how things about our world work. I wanted to learn about these things so that I could adapt them into the flat worlds im making hopefully. The things I was curious about are:

-Ocean currents
-Tectonic movement
-Hadley cells
-Temperature differences between equatorial areas and polar areas
-Tides

I mostly ask these questions as they are crucial in adopting what I know about building globe worlds into building flat disc worlds as they effect things like geography, eventually trade routes and especially climates.

Thanks in advanced! Any extra ideas are also welcome :)

Offline Tron

• View Profile
Re: A World Builder Exploring the Mechanics of Flat Worlds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
Im going to shoot in the dark here and try to answer some of your questions.   I'm also a world builder in that i like constructing multiple models of the world.   My model consists of a spinning flat earth with Antarctica at its center.

I assume ocean currents work similar to a spinning Round Earth.   Tectonic is also similar but in my model the whole world is like a collapsed volcano within a volcano which explains the worlds concave shape around the inner edges.  See "crater lake". Tom Bishop has other incredible ideas about plate tectonics in traditional FE theory.

Not sure what Hadley Cells are.

Temp differences should be same as RE.  Maybe extreme cold at the earths edges.

Tides Im unsure if.  I think it might be the temperature differences at night which help cause this.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?