Re: 1961 Full Edition of Encyclopedia Britanica
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »
No, it was not "confirmed within measuring accuracy". For the Michelson and Gale experiment, which some assert to see motion of the earth, read this chapter from Galileo Was Wrong, starting from page 636.
https://archive.org/details/GalileoWasWrongTheChurchSungenisRobertA.Bennett4275.o/page/n636
Sorry, this source is tainted!
Sugenis Robert
Some Background on the New Geocentrists

His work is discarded because he "made statements about Jews and Judaism which have been criticized as being antisemitic, which he denies"?  ???

The book was coauthored by Robert Bennet:

https://wiki.naturalphilosophy.org/index.php?title=Robert_J_Bennett

Robert J. Bennett holds a doctorate in physics from Stevens Tech with a thesis on rigid body motion in General Relativity. He served as a physics instructor at Manhattan College and Bergen Community College from 1967-1983, and consulted on software architecture with Bell Labs and Chase Bank.

Your "complaint" looks like denial of evidence to me. Why don't you address it?

I like you Tom, here is the except of the Michaelson Morely experiment.

(Thumbnails)

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
Quote from: Britanica 1961 volume 15 page 418
We may therefore say that the broad result of a series of experiments of Michelson-Morely type is that no motion of the earth through the ether can be detected by an influence on the velocity of light. For theoretical implications see Relativity.

Interesting, I'm a pretty outspoken critic of GR.

"GR only works on the scale of our solar system. There's not enough mass, maybe Einstein was wrong and Tesla was right?"

"Quick, tell em that we can only observe 20% of the mass and energy in the Universe."

"Will the public believe that? That 80% of our universe can't be measured but is still there and makes GR work again, just trust us."

"They'll believe what we tell em, we're on their televisions."

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
Thank you, disputeone. This is exactly what I was looking for.

The failure to detect any influence of the earth's motion on the velocity of light really formed the starting point of Einstein's theory of relativity (see Relativity), and it is on account of its importance for this theory that the experiment is so fundamental, and has been so often repeated.