Poll

Should we vote on fine details or broad proposals?

Fine details
0 (0%)
Broad proposals
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Should we vote on fine details or broad proposals?
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:02:40 PM »
Would we rather vote on the fine details of a subject, or a broad proposal drafted by members?

For example, when making standards for voting, we would either create individual polls for deciding conditions when a vote is passed, what should happen before a pole is created, contingencies for an absent voter, whether users should be allowed to change their vote, what happens when there are conflicts with previous polls, etc; or we could vote on "Thork's Voting Standards", which outlines a suggestion for all of this in a single written proposal.

Absent a formal voting procedure, voting will conclude when all 5 participants have voted.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:09:29 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Should we vote on fine details or broad proposals?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
A downside for 'broad proposals' may be that members will have less individual control. An upside to 'broad proposals' is the forum wouldn't be spammed with polls, and the polls will all be Pass/No Pass, rather than one poll of 10 options, which does not lend itself well to 5 voting participants.

Under 'broad proposals', the voting procedure would be more like how Congress and Parliament operates. They don't vote on every single detail of every bill. If a member has issues with 'Thork's Voting Standards' they would vote no and either submit a proposal of their own for a vote or give their criticism to Thork for revision.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:20:31 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
It has come to my attention that any non-council member can vote in these polls, making the poll invalid. We will have to manually post our vote.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:26:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
I reset the poll count and locked voting until a method to lock down poll voting in a read-only board can be put in place.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
I like the idea of manual voting, the way we do it in Werewolf. That way the votes are more public and it's easier to see who voted for what
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
It has come to my attention that any non-council member can vote in these polls, making the poll invalid. We will have to manually post our vote.
Sorry, this has now been rectified. Only councilors have voting privileges now.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:17:17 PM »
Personally, I think we should focus our initial efforts on spreading the message of FET.

We have a great forum, a wiki we can edit, a bunch of people who can help generate content. What we don't have are new users to the site. We need new users to replace those who move on, and also to grow the Society. Without new users, this site will die.

I think the initial work should be to discuss and implement ways to get this site known about and to entice people here. Be that media ideas, organising links with big sites (backlinks), viral videos or viral advertising (the legal kind of course) and basically getting this society moving.

I will be around more in the next few weeks, but if anyone has some great ideas in the mean time, float them, vote them and implement them.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
Personally, I think we should focus our initial efforts on spreading the message of FET.

We have a great forum, a wiki we can edit, a bunch of people who can help generate content. What we don't have are new users to the site. We need new users to replace those who move on, and also to grow the Society. Without new users, this site will die.

I think the initial work should be to discuss and implement ways to get this site known about and to entice people here. Be that media ideas, organising links with big sites (backlinks), viral videos or viral advertising (the legal kind of course) and basically getting this society moving.

I will be around more in the next few weeks, but if anyone has some great ideas in the mean time, float them, vote them and implement them.

Well, when we come up with a plan to 'Spread the Message of FET' should we vote on every single detail of a plan with many threads, or should we vote on broad proposals by members, which themselves encompass many details, which the council will vote yay or nay on to institute?

Can I make a poll with a laundry list of things to be done to gain members, and can we vote on that to institute it all, or do we need to discuss and vote on each item in that list?

Can I make a poll about a single little subject and list 10 different options for it, even though there are only 5 voting members?

These are all questions which need to be answered before the council can work efficiently as a team.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:21:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:04:06 PM »
Frankly I think we will have to suck it and see.

Lets say you decide that you want to get in touch with the huffington post or the bbc to run a story. Maybe about the society splitting for example. Mutiny at the Flat Earth Society or Squabbles on a Flat Earth and such like.

So you say "Nominate Tom to write an article for the syndicated press on subject x". We vote, it'll likely go through and basically you have the blessing of the community to go do it and represent us.
However lets say you come up with an idea to attack 4chan to gain publicity and you say "I nominate Tom to cause a war with 4chan" the likelihood is that you will get 4 no votes be told not to.

The Zetetic council shouldn't be there to chew over every stupid little thing. I see it as a way to get things done faster with the blessing of the community and to prevent some loose cannon going off and doing something dumb. I want the council to aid and help achieve things. Not hold everything up with never-ending rounds of votes.

Should we have a president?
Should we have a youTube channel?
Should we create a database of x information?
Should we take members?
Should we have a merchandise shop?

Then the council decides how to go about it, if its a goer.
Not, shall I make a wiki page on celestial gears? - Just go do it.

Hopefully its about making the big decisions to get things moving. Not squabbling over micromanagement.

then if the council decides say ... lets have a shop with T-shirts and stuff, we then throw it to the community and ask what they'd like to see. Designs, colours, suggested outlets etc. I look at it more as a steering committee than tyrannical rulers. Get a rough road map and then get the community involved in making it happen.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:08:57 PM by Thork »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »
The Zetetic council shouldn't be there to chew over every stupid little thing.

It appears that your opinion is that votes should be for broad proposals, then, and so you should vote for that accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:05:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
There is an argument to be made for fine detail voting, however. There are plugins which would allow multiple polls in one thread.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1586

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:11:54 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 03:08:43 AM »
I'm going with broad proposals too.  Sure, there may be instances where every nuance is important enough that everybody should have a say in every little detail.  But I think each member nitpicking over every little aspect of every proposal made would be a waste of effort, and possibly even lead to needless arguing (as opposed to meaningful discussion) between members.  An individual makes a proposal, however broad, the Council votes yea or nea, and maybe gives some of their own thoughs on the matter (if they think they have something valuable to say, of course), and the matter is decided.  That seems like it would be the ideal way to handle the vast majority of cases.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)