Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #820 on: October 27, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »
I don't consider the term "show" to specifically cater to television series.

What else were you referring to, then? Shows on Broadway?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 28, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
What else were you referring to, then? Shows on Broadway?

I was referring to pretty much all media portraying a zombie survival story. "Show" might have been poor word choice, but it doesn't have to specifically refer to television series.

Ghost of V

« Reply #822 on: October 28, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »
Why is zombie stuff so popular? That's the real question. I understand the "Who's going to die next?" line of thinking... but that usually doesn't apply to movies and games.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 28, 2014, 12:40:40 AM »
Why is zombie stuff so popular? That's the real question. I understand the "Who's going to die next?" line of thinking... but that usually doesn't apply to movies and games.

They're an easy infinite hoard of "bad guys" that no one could have any real moral quandary about killing.

Ghost of V

« Reply #824 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »

They're an easy infinite hoard of "bad guys" that no one could have any real moral quandary about killing.

Yes, but that should get boring after a movie or so.

Why has it become such a pop culture phenomenon? I see all these people dressing up like zombies and going to cons like it's the next best thing to godhood.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:45 AM »
Yes, but that should get boring after a movie or so.

Well, it most obviously did not.

Why has it become such a pop culture phenomenon? I see all these people dressing up like zombies and going to cons like it's the next best thing to godhood.

You'd have to ask some expert in sociology. Try google.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
The writers used to write original content loosely based off the comics. You're telling me that they're now just blatantly lifting from the comics? Then you're telling me you don't understand how the writers are running out of ideas?
They are still sticking to the same premise. There are common plot threads they follow but it's not exactly the same. If it were, a lot of the people still on the show should already be dead. They're not running out of ideas...  they're writing a show based off the comics. It's not a crazy concept to understand.

I haven't read the comics, because like I said: I don't like the zombie survival genre. It's one of the most brainless genres out there (no pun intended). There's always zombies popping up for no explainable reason. Why are there zombies? Virus. Where did it come from? Someone either created it as an experiment or it fell from space. Is it stoppable? No, we're all doomed. What do we do? Camp out until we are overrun and some of us die, then rinse/repeat. Oh no, one of my family has turned! So drama.
Well it's quite different from that. It was never said to be a virus.. the comics left it intentionally vague and almost hinting to some divine plan or something, I dunno. There is a lot of inner group drama and drama/action with other people which is really the most interesting part of the show. I don't really care about zombies myself. My favorite before Walking Dead was probably 28 Days Later just because sprinting infected people are terrifying. But this one is really more for the drama with the occasional macabre action.

And do you honestly not know of any other zombie survival media? We weren't talking about just TV shows, but the whole genre itself. Games, TV, movies, etc. Its getting ridiculous.
I was responding to Rushy's use of the word "show". Why are you so worked up over this? Horror themes get recycled all the time - vampires are another good example of this. And look at how many possession movies there are. The classics will always be re-used. Get over it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #827 on: October 28, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
They're lifting material from a comic. Is it safe to say that they ran out of ideas before they even started?

The comics hint that it is divine punishment?
I hate to be a Rushy here, but that's not so clever and has been done before as well. I guess intentionally leaving it vague was their point, but that just goes to show that they knew it was a stupid generic premise from the get go and didn't want to justify it. I like my stories to make sense (at least in universe sense) and have a proper resolution. The Walking Dead lacks both things.

And no wonder I've always disliked the horror genre.

I would like to see a zombie story told from the point of view of the zombies, maybe show them grouping up and scheming to take down the humans because they're viewed as stains on the Earth or something.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:42:43 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
They're lifting material from a comic. Is it safe to say that they ran out of ideas before they even started?
I'm coupling the show and the comics together here. Their writing material comes from the comics so they're not going to get stuck with no more plot threads to follow is what I mean by "run out of ideas".

The comics hint that it is divine punishment?
I hate to be a Rushy here, but that's not so clever and has been done before as well. I guess intentionally leaving it vague was their point, but that just goes to show that they knew it was a stupid generic premise from the get go and didn't want to justify it. I like my stories to make sense (at least in universe sense) and have a proper resolution. The Walking Dead lacks both things.
Yeah, I won't defend this. I don't know if there will be a proper resolution to the big problem. There are definitely resolutions to the various sub-plots though.

And no wonder I've always disliked the horror genre.
That's fine.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #829 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
Horror themes get recycled all the time - vampires are another good example of this. And look at how many possession movies there are. The classics will always be re-used. Get over it.

As a general concept (as opposed to a specific franchise, like Twilight), neither vampires or possessions are anywhere near as popular as zombies.  And in any case, at least the archetypes of most other horror themes can be actual characters, with intelligence and reasonable motivations and such.  Zombies - at least the most common variant that we keep seeing over and over again - are inherently one-dimensional creatures, basically animals rather than people.  If you've seen one, you've seen them all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:44:06 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #830 on: October 28, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
As a general concept (as opposed to a specific franchise, like Twilight), neither vampires or possessions are anywhere near as popular as zombies.  And in any case, at least the archetypes of most other horror themes can be actual characters, with intelligence and reasonable motivations and such.  Zombies - at least the most common variant that we keep seeing over and over again - are inherently one-dimensional creatures, basically animals rather than people.  If you see one, you've seen them all.

I don't know about all this. I agree with zombies being very one-dimensional... but vampires are pretty popular. From Bram Stoker to Anne Rice to Stephenie Meyer, to Buffy the Vampire Slayer... etc.

I think zombos are more popular for now, but it seems to fluctuate among the masses..
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:41:10 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #831 on: October 28, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
All those works came out in different time periods, and the vampires were portrayed differently in every one.  Perhaps I should have specified that there's never really been a craze about vampires or the like that's measured up to the absurd following zombies have gotten over the past...eight or nine years, is it?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 28, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
Horror themes get recycled all the time - vampires are another good example of this. And look at how many possession movies there are. The classics will always be re-used. Get over it.
Zombies - at least the most common variant that we keep seeing over and over again - are inherently one-dimensional creatures, basically animals rather than people.  If you've seen one, you've seen them all.
It's true they don't have any personality to them, but there are variants.

You have slow zombies and running zombies. Virus zombies, voodoo zombies, and supernatural zombies. Zombies that can shoot guns and zombies that just bounce into things. Maybe there are others I'm missing, I don't watch a lot of zombie stuff. As I said before, I'm not really into them. I like Walking Dead for the drama between other human factions but I'm just really into post-apocalyptic stories in general for that same reason.

Ghost of V

« Reply #833 on: October 28, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
Zombies - at least the most common variant that we keep seeing over and over again - are inherently one-dimensional creatures, basically animals rather than people.  If you've seen one, you've seen them all.
It's true they don't have any personality to them, but there are variants.

You have slow zombies and running zombies. Virus zombies, voodoo zombies, and supernatural zombies. Zombies that can shoot guns and zombies that just bounce into things. Maybe there are others I'm missing, I don't watch a lot of zombie stuff. As I said before, I'm not really into them. I like Walking Dead for the drama between other human factions but I'm just really into post-apocalyptic stories in general for that same reason.

I feel like they should have dragged out the Terminus story line a bit longer because I felt it had a lot of potential and was actually somewhat interesting.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 28, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
Zombie comes and family is kill oh no. Find friends and then zombie is kill, but sometimes new friend is kill too. Find safety for a bit. Friend is kill by friend because no food. Friend is kill before he become zombie. Very sad. More zombie is kill. The end, yawn.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:05:37 PM by Andrew »

Ghost of V

« Reply #835 on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »
Zombie comes and family is kill oh no. Find friends and then zombie is kill, but sometimes new friend is kill too. Find safety for a bit. Friend is kill by friend because no food. Friend is kill before he become zombie. Very sad. More zombie is kill. The end, yawn.

WE HAVE TO GET TO CDC/WASHINGTON/ARMY BASE/PRISON lol zombos closing in gotta sacrifice the farm animals lulz OH NO friend is showing signs of barbarism time to ostracize frum da grup

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
You guys are so jaded and wise.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #837 on: October 28, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
PHEW! we finally made it to the CDC/WASHINGTON/ARMY BASE/ ETC. this is grea-.... OH GOD THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL US

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
Louie [Season 3]

Whatever problems I had with the previous two seasons, all is made up for by this. It mixes comedy and drama in a manner best described as "bravura", it's bold and fearless in its mish-mash of materials, and from a directorial standpoint Louis C.K. seems really to have matured immensely. Great performances from guests like Parker Posey, Robin Williams, F. Murray Abraham, David Lynch, and others (including some seriously good recurring performances from the child actors) also help the show with their consistently high quality and approaches one might not expect — consider Williams in a reserved performance where his nuanced facial expressions do most of the talking. Snupes tells me that the best is yet to come, I don't want to get my hopes up for an even better season four, but if it can maintain season three's level it's gold.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 28, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
I used to like the Walking Dead but not anymore.  Once they hit the Prison I was like "Hey, this is great.  Defensible walls, fences, fields, and enough supplies to feed/house hundreds of people.  What could go wrong?"  Then they threw in the Governor shit.

And really, why haven't they seen more survivors?  And more easily defended buildings?  A school, for example, is usually nice and easy to defend.  Lots of rooms, nice thick doors, and a cafeteria full of food.  That school in Season 2: Perfect spot. 

Or what about traps?  I saw ONE zombie attractor/trap and it was designed to just capture them.  WTF?  Is it really that hard?  I played Half-Life 2 and that had better zombie traps than the walking dead.

Sorry, ranting.  Long story short: Zombie movies have stupid people.  Except Zombieland.  They only have two stupid girls who aren't dumb enough to leave their guns when they go on the rides.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.