Re: Just Watched
« Reply #240 on: April 26, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
I quite like the new Superman Man of Steel film.

It was alright. Jonathan Kent's death was moronic. Clark could have easily saved him, why didn't he?

It had something to do with the world not being ready for someone like Clark Kent.

I don't know why Clark didn't rescue the dog instead of his dad though.

Rama Set

« Reply #241 on: April 26, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

It was alright. Jonathan Kent's death was moronic. Clark could have easily saved him, why didn't he?

It had something to do with the world not being ready for someone like Clark Kent.

Clark was taking care of his mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #242 on: April 26, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »

Because his dad was of the firm belief that the world wasn't ready for something like Superman and Clark was raised believing the same. Saving his dad would have revealed him to the crowd.

In Smallville Clark Kent saves people in front of crowds all the time. He's faster than a "speeding bullet".... no one would even see him do it. The fact that he let his father die in such a trivial way goes against everything Superman stands for. It's his adoptive father. Any other version of Superman would have saved him in that situation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:18:20 PM by Ghost of V »

Rama Set

« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »

Because his dad was of the firm belief that the world wasn't ready for something like Superman and Clark was raised believing the same. Saving his dad would have revealed him to the crowd.

In Smallville Clark Kent saves people in front of crowds all the time. He's faster than a "speeding bullet".... no one would even see him do it. The fact that he let his father die in such a trivial way goes against everything Superman stands for. It's his adoptive father. Any other version of Superman would have saved him. This is why Man of Steel sucks.

It's an origin story. Superman does not stand for anything yet. The movie goes through great pains to establish how superman comes to stand for the things he does.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 26, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
Oh well the movie isn't based on Smallville so that might have confused you.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 26, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
Somehow I got the feeling that they were trying to make young Clark look like Tom Welling though.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #246 on: April 26, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
Doesn't Superman kill about a million people in the final battle in that movie?  Also, the product placement was incredibly obnoxious.

Ghost of V

« Reply #247 on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
The movie goes through great pains to establish how superman comes to stand for the things he does.

No it doesn't. I would have to watch it again to give examples, but the development of Superman was handled poorly in my opinion.

Oh well the movie isn't based on Smallville so that might have confused you.

I know that, but Superman is Superman. His character is similar across different media. I appreciate your snarkiness though, seems to be a trademark of yours.

Doesn't Superman kill about a million people in the final battle in that movie?  Also, the product placement was incredibly obnoxious.

No, but he does help destroy a good portion of Smallville and ends up snapping someone's neck, which is weird for Superman.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:33:06 PM by Ghost of V »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
Somehow I got the feeling that they were trying to make young Clark look like Tom Welling though.
Henry Cavill and Tom Welling resemble each other so that would make sense.

I never did a body count for the final battle, but it seemed realistic. Superman was matched by General Zod so breaking away to save people while still winning the fight  seems improbable.

And Ghost, don't let the snarkiness rustle your jimmies. This Superman was supposed to be a bit darker and more conflicted than other versions. He went to great lengths to hide who he was. Plus, when he was that young we don't really know the extent of his power development. He might not have been that fast yet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:37:05 PM by rooster »

« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »

Clark was taking care of his mom.

His Mum didn't need taking care of.

I thought they were trying to make superman more vulnerable and human like compared to the other films about him.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »

Yeah, I still wish they had more of a focus on him helping people during the battle, going out of his way to put himself at risk for something as simple as getting one or two people out of harm's way, rather than throwing people through Arby's and stuff.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #251 on: April 26, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
They wreck a lot of Metropolis yes, but if you are doing a realistic version of Superman what else would happen?  Superman is on his heels for a lot of the fight and there is a bunch of immovable object/unstoppable force type physics happening.

« Reply #252 on: April 26, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »
I just didn't like how grim and serious the whole thing was. It's a Superman movie, yet I had next to no fun watching it. I even winced when people in metroplis were levitated and smashed on the ground. What the hell is that doing in Superman?

They wreck a lot of Metropolis yes, but if you are doing a realistic version of Superman what else would happen?  Superman is on his heels for a lot of the fight and there is a bunch of immovable object/unstoppable force type physics happening.

This is a fairly common argument. It's not hard to imagine that they simply fought elsewhere, or Superman moved the fight elsewhere. In any case, the final 40 minute destruction sequence was just 1 of many problems.

Ghost of V

« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
And Ghost, don't let the snarkiness rustle your jimmies. This Superman was supposed to be a bit darker and more conflicted than other versions. He went to great lengths to hide who he was. Plus, when he was that young we don't really know the extent of his power development. He might not have been that fast yet.

Jonathan's death was forced. It felt like forced character development, which just ends up feeling cheap.

"We need to motivate Supes, wut do?"
"Oh lets kill Jonathan Kent in tornado. Lol. supes will be sad and his character will develop lol"

His death could have had so much meaning, like in other adaptions of the Superman mythos, but no. Man of Steel is disappointing to say the least, but at least the fight scenes were entertaining.

Derp.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:58:30 PM by Ghost of V »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
I just didn't like how grim and serious the whole thing was.
I think this is ultimately why we don't see eye to eye when it comes to comic books movies.

I would hazard a guess that people who already liked Superman didn't care for the movie and the people who didn't care for Superman before liked the movie. From my experience that's what it seems like at least and for precisely the reasons that Snupes and Vindictus are pointing out.

Jonathan's death was forced. It felt like forced character development, which just ends up feeling cheap.
Do you think it might have felt forced because it was a flashback? Just curious.

I don't have a lot to compare it to since I've never been into the Superman series. But I guess they wanted it as a freak accident where Clark had to make a decision whether to hide or reveal himself. It still felt realistic to me just because freak accidents don't leave a lot of time for decision making and Clark fell back on what he was taught (hiding his powers). Right before Jonathan died they had an argument on what Clark should do, the guilt of calling him out as not actually being his father was probably a factor when he listened to Jonathan's judgement. Throughout the movie that theme is persistent; he loves humanity and will do whatever he can to protect it, but he also fears that they will reject him.

Ghost of V

« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
he loves humanity and will do whatever he can to protect it, but he also fears that they will reject him.

Then logically he would have saved Jonathan Kent... unless in the next Superman movie we find out that Supes from Man of Steel is actually Bizzaro Supes. I would support this plot twist.

I know I'm not making convincing arguments as to why I disliked this part so much, but it's also a movie and ultimately subjective.

I just didn't like how grim and serious the whole thing was. It's a Superman movie, yet I had next to no fun watching it. I even winced when people in metroplis were levitated and smashed on the ground. What the hell is that doing in Superman?

I liked the tone of the film. I feel like comics don't show enough violence to begin with, especially older comics. Showing a villain straight up smash a human being into blood and dust makes the villain seem more realistic... also it makes it more satisfying when that villain gets what s/he deserves. I hate all the "I HAVE A DEATH RAY" villains, because they're not threatening.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:22:50 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
he loves humanity and will do whatever he can to protect it, but he also fears that they will reject him.

Then logically he would have saved Jonathan Kent... unless in the next Superman movie we find out that Supes from Man of Steel is actually Bizzaro Supes. I would support this plot twist.

But then this:
It still felt realistic to me just because freak accidents don't leave a lot of time for decision making and Clark fell back on what he was taught (hiding his powers). Right before Jonathan died they had an argument on what Clark should do, the guilt of calling him out as not actually being his father was probably a factor when he listened to Jonathan's judgement.

Hence, conflicted feelings. During that small time frame he instinctively fell back on what he was taught which is a very real human thing to do.

Thork

« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
#t=77

Poor cow is dropping hints all over the place, but he just wants to play pool.

*Also, pizzaplanet, I asked this video to start 77 seconds in. The plugin ignores this.

Ghost of V

« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Hence, conflicted feelings. During that small time frame he instinctively fell back on what he was taught which is a very real human thing to do.

Clark Kent is not human. He was rebellious toward his adoptive father to begin with, although he did respect him completely. Which might prompt him to disobey his advice, like he had done in the past. I suppose the argument could be made that Supes has a human's moral code since he was not aware of his alien nature at the time of Jonathan's death, or was he? I forget.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:28:52 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »

Clark Kent is not human. He was rebellious toward his adoptive father to begin with, although he did respect him completely. Which might prompt him to disobey his advice, like he had done in the past. I suppose the argument could be made that Supes has a human's moral code since he was not aware of his alien nature at the time of Jonathan's death, or was he? I forget.
He knew he was an alien at that point. But does Superman typically not act like a human with human morals?