Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
Speaking of the media...
Guess who got arrested?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/24/journalists-charged-felonies-trump-inauguration-unrest

That's right: Non-Mainstream Media Journalists. 

I get that they were swept up in general "arrest everyone in the area" but you know... journalists with actual credentials who were just recording?  Surely this should be a quick dismissal, right?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2017, 11:51:59 AM »
Most of Trump's early reforms are primarily guided by reducing the budget deficit. Government spending was through the roof, and since the economy is not recovering from the 2008 crisis as well as originally hoped, something has to give.

If he were serious about reducing the deficit, he'd reduce spending on Medicare, Social Security, or the Military. But he isn't. In fact, his tax decreases are projected by almost all economists to increase the deficit more than the plans by his opponents in the primaries and the general election.

Oh, also the executive order to allow the Dakota Access Pipeline to continue through Standing Rock.
Well, that one was to be expected. Everyone's been talking about it ever since Obama suspended it. What may be more surprised to many is that Justin Trudeau is happy about the development. A few fangirls' hearts probably just got broken.

Keystone XL is different than the Dakota Access Pipeline.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:54:02 AM by trekky0623 »

« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Yeah mollete: sucks but I expected the pipeline to go through.

Well, that one was to be expected.

Yeah, no, I wasn't surprised at all. I just don't think "yeah, well, we knew THAT shit was gonna go down" is a good reason to ignore it if it's still a big deal.

taxpayer-sponsored abortion

That does not happen.

US funds never go toward abortions abroad anyway

Any foreign clinics we give aid to were not allowed to use those funds for abortions. If they performed abortions, they funded them through other means. But now they can't even do that.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure taxpayers don't pay for abortions here either, or if they do it's a minuscule amount reserved for extreme cases. Federal funding PP gets goes to the other healthcare services they provide.

« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2017, 12:04:50 PM »
Mollette is correct. Zero taxpayer funds go toward abortion procedures either in the US or abroad. Even Planned Parenthood only receives federal funding directly for things other than abortions thanks to the Hyde amendment.

But of course, that won't really change any minds on the right, because if Planned Parenthood or clinics mentioning abortion abroad get federal funding, they can allocate funds that would have gone to other things to abortion, and so effectively federal funds can help fund abortions indirectly.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
Most of Trump's early reforms are primarily guided by reducing the budget deficit. Government spending was through the roof, and since the economy is not recovering from the 2008 crisis as well as originally hoped, something has to give.

If he were serious about reducing the deficit, he'd reduce spending on Medicare, Social Security, or the Military. But he isn't. In fact, his tax decreases are projected by almost all economists to increase the deficit more than the plans by his opponents in the primaries and the general election.
In fairness, he told Boeing to go fuck themselves for having such an expensive, over-budget F-35 and the new Airforce One he balked at.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
Oh goody.

U.S. President Donald Trump's administration has instructed the Environmental Protection Agency to remove the climate change page from its website, two agency employees told Reuters, the latest move by the newly minted leadership to erase ex-President Barack Obama's climate change initiatives.

The employees were notified by EPA officials on Tuesday that the administration had instructed EPA's communications team to remove the website's climate change page, which contains links to scientific global warming research, as well as detailed data on emissions. The page could go down as early as Wednesday, the sources said.

"If the website goes dark, years of work we have done on climate change will disappear," one of the EPA staffers told Reuters, who added some employees were scrambling to save some of the information housed on the website, or convince the Trump administration to preserve parts of it.

The sources asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

The last line really seals the deal, what with the recent news of the EPA recently being restricted from releasing info to the public.

Remember: if you don't like what science is saying, just order the scientists working for the government to remove all mention of it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
taxpayer-sponsored abortion
That does not happen.
Correct, but entirely immaterial to my point. Trekky's post pretty much covers it:

But of course, that won't really change any minds on the right, because if Planned Parenthood or clinics mentioning abortion abroad get federal funding, they can allocate funds that would have gone to other things to abortion, and so effectively federal funds can help fund abortions indirectly.

Yeah, no, I wasn't surprised at all. I just don't think "yeah, well, we knew THAT shit was gonna go down" is a good reason to ignore it if it's still a big deal.
Is it a big deal? American economy has to stop being shit if the USA is hoping to achieve anything in the long term. Further restricting development is hardly a good idea.

Yes, and Fanta is the second-oldest brand of The Coca-Cola Company. Are we just going to make statements back and forth? 'Cause that sounds boring.

If he were serious about reducing the deficit, he'd reduce spending on Medicare, Social Security, or the Military.
Well, he can't exactly do that. It's not a sign of not being serious about reducing the deficit, it's a sign of not betraying his electorate. He's doing precisely what he was elected to do.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:35:44 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
Is it a big deal? American economy has to stop being shit if the USA is hoping to achieve anything in the long term. Further restricting development is hardly a good idea.
Development is great but the oil pipeline isn't the answer.   Especially now.  We saw what happens when we drill and drill for oil: We end up having it too cheap to keep drilling.  OPEC killed a lot of US and Canadian oil just by producing more and more.  It's finally going back up but not soon enough for most of the tar sands oil which is what this pipeline is gonna move. 

I mean, how does the pipeline benefit the US?  It won't make oil cheap.  It cuts down on transport cost but so what?  Just means they need to keep oil prices high to make the tar sand oil profitable anyway which is gonna make everyone who ISN'T in the oil business use more money on transportation anyway.  So consumers at the pump will pay more.

Secondly, refineries in Texas get the oil to refine.  Great but will it really help?  Will they build more refineries or just keep plugging away at the steady stream of oil they already have?  I'm under the impression that those Texas Oil Refineries are operating at capacity and adding more workers won't change that.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #329 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
Yes, and Fanta is the second-oldest brand of The Coca-Cola Company. Are we just going to make statements back and forth? 'Cause that sounds boring.

Mollete's post was about the Dakota Access Pipeline. Trudeau praised the movement forward on Keystone XL. Your post implied Mollete and Trudeau were talking about the same pipeline. They were not. I mean feel free to talk about other pipelines, but the issues related to Dakota access are different than the ones of other pipelines.

« Reply #330 on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:13 PM »
Is it a big deal?

I would define the risk of poisoning a region's water supply as a big deal, yes. There's also the harm that the pipeline poses to areas of cultural/spiritual significance to the Sioux, but I don't have the energy to convince the right to care about that too.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
Is it a big deal?

I would define the risk of poisoning a region's water supply as a big deal, yes. There's also the harm that the pipeline poses to areas of cultural/spiritual significance to the Sioux, but I don't have the energy to convince the right to care about that too.

The right doesn't care about anyone but themselves.  Thats the whole point of conservatism: conserve your resources for yourself.
Fraking?  Not my problem.
Oil spill?  I don't live there.
Flint water is poison?  Don't live in flint.

Republicans who are affected are just ignored.  Then they blame the left for their problems.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
Mollete's post was about the Dakota Access Pipeline. Trudeau praised the movement forward on Keystone XL. Your post implied Mollete and Trudeau were talking about the same pipeline. They were not. I mean feel free to talk about other pipelines, but the issues related to Dakota access are different than the ones of other pipelines.
A particularly insignificant technicality regarding my choice of words, but I can understand why you'd resort to it.

I would define the risk of poisoning a region's water supply as a big deal, yes.
Sounds like the solution to that would be to both stop exaggerating the risk in left-wing media and lobby for appropriate measures to minimise the risk further. Of course, thanks to past protests, none of that will happen.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
Sounds like the solution to that would be to both stop exaggerating the risk in left-wing media and lobby for appropriate measures to minimise the risk further. Of course, thanks to past protests, none of that will happen.

But that requires regulation and Donald Trump says we need to remove most of our regulations.

« Reply #334 on: January 25, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
A particularly insignificant technicality regarding my choice of words, but I can understand why you'd resort to it.

It wasn't insignificant. They're two different pipelines, and the arguments against them are different. You are misleading people by implying Trudeau is talking about Dakota. But whatever.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 25, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
You are misleading people by implying Trudeau is talking about Dakota. But whatever.
I strongly suspect you were the only person who took it that way, and you obviously did it on purpose since you knew the difference. Shorthand isn't the crime you claim it to be.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 25, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Trump also withdrew from the TPP. It's interesting to see people formerly against the TPP now claim that China will become a bigger superpower because of Trump.

« Reply #337 on: January 25, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
You are misleading people by implying Trudeau is talking about Dakota. But whatever.
I strongly suspect you were the only person who took it that way, and you obviously did it on purpose since you knew the difference. Shorthand isn't the crime you claim it to be.

I was misled.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 25, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
I was misled.
Okay: I was talking about Keystone XL.

Well done for letting a random person on the Internet "mislead" you with a figure of speech. I see that for all the lambasting you got here for falling for fake news, you're still failing to double-check things.

« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
Allow me to clarify: I was misled into believing that you were implying that Trudeau was talking about DAPL and not KXL. I had not double-checked as to whether or not that was the reality yet because I was getting ready for work at the time, but I wouldn't have been under the impression that Trudeau was talking about the DAPL until I actually found a source other than you saying so.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:35:03 PM by mollete »