Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #420 on: June 20, 2016, 02:32:30 PM »
best episode yet.  i was initially perturbed when it became clear that jon was going to lose and the vale would have to bail them out, but it was totally worth it to get to see the battle of cannae. 

PS: Soooo fucking glad Tormund didn't die. I don't think my heart could have taken it.

also this.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

George

« Reply #421 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »
I'm all about that Meereen plot. Dany is so awesome.
I will never understand why people prefer emo Jon Snow to alpha af Dany. Every time she's on screen I just wanna yell "yasss kween!"

All the more reason why she needs to stop hanging out on the other side of the world and just go to Westeros already.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 20, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »
She has her fleet, her army, and her three grown dragons. If she is not sailing for Westeros by the end of next episode there is something wrong.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #423 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:05 AM »
Tyrion has turned into a total wimp. Dany was giving him shit over Meereen being attacked after she'd buggered off on the back of a dragon, leaving the city in anarchy and Tyrion to pick up the pieces. He should have told her to fuck right off. Especially since her plan to sort things out was just to set fire to everything with her dragons, same as always.

Also why does anybody follow Jon Snow? He didn't even bother issuing any orders in the battle, he just raced off in the direction of the enemy. He's a complete idiot.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 21, 2016, 02:04:59 AM »
Rickon's death was basically Darwinian culling.  Did it never occur to him that by running in a straight line he was making himself an easy target?
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 21, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »
Tyrion has turned into a total wimp. Dany was giving him shit over Meereen being attacked after she'd buggered off on the back of a dragon, leaving the city in anarchy and Tyrion to pick up the pieces. He should have told her to fuck right off. Especially since her plan to sort things out was just to set fire to everything with her dragons, same as always.

Also why does anybody follow Jon Snow? He didn't even bother issuing any orders in the battle, he just raced off in the direction of the enemy. He's a complete idiot.
So.. you wanted Tyrion to tell Dany to fuck off? The one person he believes to be a decent ruler and has placed all his hope in? Yeah, aight. He's there to advise, which he did and since she is actually a reasonable person, she listened.

Yep, Jon Snow is fucking retarded and I hate him. I don't even like Sansa at all anymore tbh. I'm still so angry they changed her character from conniving, charismatic, woman to a bitter and cold hardass. Everything she's done has been so generic and predictable.

« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2016, 01:01:35 PM »

So.. you wanted Tyrion to tell Dany to fuck off? The one person he believes to be a decent ruler and has placed all his hope in? Yeah, aight. He's there to advise, which he did and since she is actually a reasonable person, she listened.

Yep, Jon Snow is fucking retarded and I hate him. I don't even like Sansa at all anymore tbh. I'm still so angry they changed her character from conniving, charismatic, woman to a bitter and cold hardass. Everything she's done has been so generic and predictable.

Yeah, I really don't like TV Dany. She's surrounded by sycophants, she keeps going on about her dragons all the time, most of her dialogue is either "do you know who I am?" moments or threatening to destroy anybody who doesn't kiss her arse, and her long term plan is to invade Westeros with dragons and an army of village burning slave taking rapists. She's a monster. If Tyrion had any integrity he would shoot her while she's on the toilet.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 21, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
Book Dany intended to invade Westeros with her army of  village burning slave taking rapists from the moment she asserted her independence from Viseris. And the dragons from the moment they hatched. Honestly I'm not seeing the distinction between Book Dany and Show Dany's plans that you seem to be drawing.

« Reply #428 on: June 21, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
Book Dany intended to invade Westeros with her army of  village burning slave taking rapists from the moment she asserted her independence from Viseris. And the dragons from the moment they hatched. Honestly I'm not seeing the distinction between Book Dany and Show Dany's plans that you seem to be drawing.

I don't like book Dany that much either, really. At least she seems more human and fallible though. Show Dany is more of a Mary Sue character who seems to succeed at everything. The books are also far more subjective, you only read about Dany from her own perspective, so there's always the possibility that she might not be the great leader that she thinks she is, and her perception of events are biased. The TV show loses that aspect of the narrative.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 21, 2016, 04:50:48 PM »
Succeeds at everything? Did you forget she had to run from her homeland, her family was murdered, she had a twisted cruel brother, moved from place to place, was forced into marriage, lost her child, lost her husband, her loyal friends were murdered, and had to deal with the Sons of the Harpy constantly trying to undermine everything she's done in Meereen?

The only thing she's "succeeded" at is hatching dragons and has only NOW finally gotten her army and ships.
She's a fucking Targaryen. The mother of dragons. She's a total badass that keeps fighting for what she knows is right: freeing slaves and taking Westeros.
She's made a lot of mistakes, so definitely not a Mary Sue. But she can ride dragons which is a huge advantage, I spose people hate her for that.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:52:22 PM by rooster »

« Reply #430 on: June 21, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Succeeds at everything? Did you forget she had to run from her homeland, her family was murdered, she had a twisted cruel brother, moved from place to place, was forced into marriage, lost her child, lost her husband, her loyal friends were murdered, and had to deal with the Sons of the Harpy constantly trying to undermine everything she's done in Meereen?

The only thing she's "succeeded" at is hatching dragons and has only NOW finally gotten her army and ships.
She's a fucking Targaryen. The mother of dragons. She's a total badass that keeps fighting for what she knows is right: freeing slaves and taking Westeros.
She's made a lot of mistakes, so definitely not a Mary Sue. But she can ride dragons which is a huge advantage, I spose people hate her for that.  ::)

She somehow learned how to do blood magic to hatch the dragons, she somehow learned how to be immune to fire, she somehow learned how to control the dragons which previously seemed out of control. Everybody is insanely loyal to her, in a series where all of the other characters seem to stab each other in the back. Her only strategy seems to be identify an authority figure and then set them on fire, and then all of their supporters will automatically follow her without question. She doesn't even have any friends, just people to kiss her arse, and if some of them die, she just gets more.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
She somehow learned how to do blood magic to hatch the dragons, she somehow learned how to be immune to fire, she somehow learned how to control the dragons which previously seemed out of control. Everybody is insanely loyal to her, in a series where all of the other characters seem to stab each other in the back. Her only strategy seems to be identify an authority figure and then set them on fire, and then all of their supporters will automatically follow her without question. She doesn't even have any friends, just people to kiss her arse, and if some of them die, she just gets more.
Sounds like you missed a lot.

She didn't learn blood magic, she only burnt a witch and then walked into fire with her eggs. She didn't learn how to be immune to fire, that's a trait some Targaryens have. We know from Tyrion that dragons are exceptionally intelligent, so communicating with them might not be as difficult as you'd think. They recognize their "mother" since they imprint when hatched as was pretty obvious from the earlier seasons. She also taught them commands early on, "dracarys" being one of them.

She inspires loyalty because she is a good person. She kills violent and cruel people, usually slavers or to you a random "authority figure", to free their slaves and in return the slaves adore her. It's really not that complicated. In the case of the Dothraki, they respect strength and bravado, so Dany is right up their alley. She has the strongest claim to the throne, is riding the first dragon in over 100 years, and is a badass. Again, really not too hard to see why she inspires allegiance.

Her handmaidens, Jorah, Ser Barristan, her bloodriders, and Missandei could all be called friends. But it doesn't matter. Having friends isn't a requisite for a good character in this show since almost no one has friends.

George

« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
Book Dany is definitely a lot more nuanced than show Dany.  I'm not a fan of the Meereen subplot in the books, because it's slow, boring, never goes anywhere, and Martin had a very annoying tendency to immediately end the chapter whenever something interesting was about to happen and begin a new one after the interesting event was over, but at least she was getting some character development out of it as she discovered that ruling is far more complicated than conquering and that killing isn't the solution to every problem.  I don't blame the show for wanting to spice that up a bit, but they had almost the exact opposite problem that Martin had - instead of skipping over the action to get to the politics, they kept skipping over the politics to get to the action.  Or else just delegating the politics to Tyrion.  And without any decent context to the action, it's hard to get invested in it.  I don't really feel that Dany has grown as a ruler since she conquered Meereen.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
I don't really feel that Dany has grown as a ruler since she conquered Meereen.
This is definitely true.

Taking Tyrion on as an advisor seems to be the only good ruling decision she's made. Aside from that, she's very much a small picture kind of person and hasn't been doing a good job ruling for the long haul. This would be another failing of hers, which goes against a successful Mary Sue.

She has the ruthlessness of a Targaryen and has a good heart, but needs wise advisors around her.

George

« Reply #434 on: June 27, 2016, 02:56:18 AM »
WHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

The finale was awesome and completely batshit at the same time.  They confirmed R+L=J!  They confirmed Frey pies, albeit in a different context to the books!  They gave us another wildfire explosion, for which I'm eagerly awaiting the gifs turning it into a greentext explosion of implications.  And Dany is finally heading to Westeros, assuming that the next season doesn't start with her being forced to dock in Qarth or something stupid like that.  Now we just need to wait another year.

« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:21 AM »
that was definitely my favorite episode of the series so far
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 27, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
I might have squeaked a few times while watching it.

So good. But why the fuck did Cersei go all Micheal Jackson? That was the dumbest outfit I've ever seen in the show.

Rama Set

« Reply #437 on: June 27, 2016, 12:50:31 PM »
I thought the finale was the best episode of the season. Cersei's revenge was very satisfying.

If I was Sansa, I would be mad as fuck that a Bastard gets to rule House Stark. Maybe there is some backstory I don't know,but they could have established a triplet of Queen's that would have nice.

« Reply #438 on: June 27, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
i can't wait for jaime to kill cersei.  that shit is going to be satisfying af.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 27, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
If I was Sansa, I would be mad as fuck that a Bastard gets to rule House Stark.
Why? She has more maneuverability now. There's a lot of restriction that comes with leadership. Also, she loves Jon. She was just saying how she sees him as a Stark and wanted him to have the master bedroom.