Offline imyy4u

• View Profile
A single question...
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:16:48 AM »
I have just a single question for the Flat Earthers.  In your model of the world, how can you get the shortest possible distance between multiple cities to be the exact distances we have measured with supremely accurate devices? 

Example: choose one city on each continent, i.e. Paris, Moscow, Sydney, Johannesburg, New York, and Rio de Janeiro (I'm leaving out Antarctica).  To make it even more accurate, choose a single address in each city.  Then, in your Flat Earth model, measure the shortest possible distance between each city and every other city if you traveled in a straight line.  How come the distances in your model don't match with our current measurements?  Or, if you would prefer, please draw a Flat Earth map with all of the continents and cities where all the distances between them match our measurements.  If you don't trust the currently accepted measurements between cities, please take your own measurements, and then make that map.  I bet you can't do it with a Flat Earth model!

And somewhat related...if the Earth is flat, how come if I setup a powerful laser perfectly parallel with the Earth/ground, it will always end up shining on the sky above?  This would only happen in a spherical Earth.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Re: A single question...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:36:57 AM »
I have just a single question for the Flat Earthers.  In your model of the world, how can you get the shortest possible distance between multiple cities to be the exact distances we have measured with supremely accurate devices? 

The answer really depends on the flat earth model. There are several.

In a flat earth model in which the measurements don't match the predictions by the model:

The most common response is something to the effect of: A measurement system which is based on the idea that the earth is a sphere will always give measurement results which would support a sphere earth.

In a flat earth model in which the flat earth model has no long distance predictions

The most common response is something to the effect of: There is no long distance FE measurement system developed, tested, and implemented so it's impossible to know if the current measurements support this FE model or not.

In a flat earth model in which the measurements do match the predictions by the model:

These measurements match the predictions made by this flat earth model which only makes it stronger.

how come if I setup a powerful laser perfectly parallel with the Earth/ground, it will always end up shining on the sky above?  This would only happen in a spherical Earth.

What I've found that makes the most sense to me is some sort of optical effect like refraction which is causing the light from the laser to either curve upward to the sky above or appear to shine on the sky above when it's really not.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »
Here's another that has been actually done using gps high accuracy surveying equipment and the same geospatial coordinate system.

In NYC measure a point at the bottom of a tall building.
Do the same at the top directly above the first.
Repeat in SF at the same heights ASL.

If the Earth is flat the distance between the top and bottom should be the same.  They are not: the top is slightly greater and the only way that can happen is if the Earth is spherical so the radius is greater for the upper points. Both the arc and line distances differ.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:42:18 PM by Snoopy »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:11 PM »
And somewhat related...if the Earth is flat, how come if I setup a powerful laser perfectly parallel with the Earth/ground, it will always end up shining on the sky above?  This would only happen in a spherical Earth.

Can you give a reference to where you have seen this? It might be a piece of evidence for EAT.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »

Can you give a reference to where you have seen this? It might be a piece of evidence for EAT.
Well, there’s this which you’ve already been shown.

If you remember you spent 2 days not understanding the experiment while telling me it was me who didn’t understand it.
Then when you finally did understand it you called it fake.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"