Offline ohplease

• View Profile
Re: Old Politicians
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2022, 05:23:51 PM »
Points 3 and 4 represent the creation of fundamentally new technologies. The Digital Age in on point 5 represents people doing the same things they were already doing, but on a computer.

For someone to say that a personal computer or even the internet was not revolutionary is insane.

We went from the Harvard Mark I in the 40's:

To this, way more powerful, in the oughts:

And that's not revolutionary?

Actually I did say it was revolutionary. I also said that it wasn't as important as the technologies that revolutionized society in the early to mid 1900's.

My main criticism was that the applications used are largely just digital replicas of things which already existed. People already had encyclopedias in their homes and had library passes. People already could compose documents, order things from catalogues, and send letters and notes to each other. Now you can do all of that on a computer with emojis. It provided a convenient platform, but people were still doing the same things they were doing before.
People have been traveling around the planet since being able to walk so according to Tom being able to move yourself or goods anywhere within a few hours (or days for bulk items) is really just the same thing.  Obviously false.

The computer in your pocket can tell you where you are anywhere on the planet.  Even if you delude yourself to think that GPS does not utilize a network of satellites, you can not deny that it works.  That is revolutionary.

Having access to information without having to go to a library or for physical volumes to have to be written and published allows information not only to be universally accessible but also up to date.  That is revolutionary.   It of course also allows false information to be widely distributed.  All aspects of a revolution do not have to be beneficial to be revolutionary.

Not only access to information but access to services like micro banking is revolutionary.  Poor producers can not only sell their goods at prices that match global markets but accept payment safety without the risks of cash.

All that that does not even get to the original purpose of the mobile phone.  Reaching anyone anywhere is pretty revolutionary all by itself.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
Humanity has been making less important revolutions and inventions as time goes on.

By what measure? Yours?

The Fourth Industrial Revolution: what it means, how to respond

The First Industrial Revolution used water and steam power to mechanize production. The Second used electric power to create mass production. The Third used electronics and information technology to automate production. Now a Fourth Industrial Revolution is building on the Third, the digital revolution that has been occurring since the middle of the last century. It is characterized by a fusion of technologies that is blurring the lines between the physical, digital, and biological spheres.

There are three reasons why today’s transformations represent not merely a prolongation of the Third Industrial Revolution but rather the arrival of a Fourth and distinct one: velocity, scope, and systems impact. The speed of current breakthroughs has no historical precedent. When compared with previous industrial revolutions, the Fourth is evolving at an exponential rather than a linear pace. Moreover, it is disrupting almost every industry in every country. And the breadth and depth of these changes herald the transformation of entire systems of production, management, and governance.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »
Whenever someone brags about the Digital Age and muh amazing computers the arguments end up sounding like "The US Constitution: Now on LaserDisc!"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »
Whenever someone brags about the Digital Age and muh amazing computers the arguments end up sounding like "The US Constitution: Now on LaserDisc!"

You should have some respect.  After all, without the digital age, it would have been impossible for you to troll as many people as you do, daily, without physical effort.
Hell, cherry picking because everyting is digital and can be searched in a second is your bread and butter. 

So have some respect for the tech that gave you purpose.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
It is because the pre-1950's generations are still considered by society to be the greatest generations. They are a hard-nosed, no-frills, people with traditional morals who tell it like it is.

Yep, those were the good old days. You could beat your kids and beat your wife. Child molesters were never prosecuted. There were places where white people could be white with other white people. There were no homosexuals to corrupt the minds of young people. The Republicans were protecting us from the red menace.

Then the damn liberals came along. They legalized interracial marriage and now we have all kinds of racial tension and riots. They destroyed thousands of jobs for the hard-working folks in the tobacco industry. We have rampant homosexuality, shemales and transvestites. Then the tree huggers came along and destroyed our economy with their ecological bullshit and workplace safety crap.

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »
Yeah.  It's unfortunate that Russia doesn't have a real film industry.  I would love to see ww2 war movies from their perspective.

Jude Law, Ed Harris and some other people would like a word.

The fact that I've never heard of this movie, I assume it's Enemy at the Gates, proves my point.  When I look at the number of dead from each country, ww2 looks almost like a fight between Germany and Russia with a bunch of other countries peripherally involved.