Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Fortuna's Epic DoorDash Adventure
« on: January 20, 2022, 12:00:44 AM »
I started delivering for DoorDash last week in my free time. It started out as a thing to try for fun, but I realized I can make some decent side cash. The app you use is like playing a video game and completing quests. You start out "looking for orders", and when one pops up it shows you the distance you'll have to travel, and a big, bold number that is the amount of money you'll make on the order. You can decline the order if it's not enough money for the distance. As far as I know, there's no penalty for declining.

Anyway, today I did a single order worth $20. I only had to drive a little over 5 miles to complete it. I had another order where some Chinese lady yelled at me because the restaurant got her order wrong. However, it was sealed and we aren't allowed to open orders to check if they are correct in that case.

Delivering to apartments is really shitty, especially if the orderer doesn't add a good description of where they are in the complex.

Delivering WingStop orders is really shitty too. The restaurant usually takes forever to make the order, they come in giant oily bags, and the smell of the wings is so strong my car just smells like shitty wing seasoning permanently now.

Today, I made $22/hour after taking gas into account. I also got two free sodas.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:04:37 AM by Fortuna »

Rama Set

Re: Fortuna's Epic DoorDash Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:49:59 AM »
I look forward to seeing you on r/publicfreakout

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 03:39:06 AM »
All I can say is thanks for doing what you're doing. I know the primary objective is side-gig cash, but me for being in a big city and having such awesome delivery options with the likes of door dash, it's been a godsend. And all the dashers I meet are super nice and cool. I've had a few orders screwed up in the past year+ but I know to take it up with the restaurant and not with the dasher.

And I'm super glad to read that you guys are told upfront what you get for a gig. And not get penalized for passing.

I'm sure you'll have more stories from your quests. Keep 'em coming.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 04:06:53 AM »
All I can say is thanks for doing what you're doing. I know the primary objective is side-gig cash, but me for being in a big city and having such awesome delivery options with the likes of door dash, it's been a godsend. And all the dashers I meet are super nice and cool. I've had a few orders screwed up in the past year+ but I know to take it up with the restaurant and not with the dasher.

And I'm super glad to read that you guys are told upfront what you get for a gig. And not get penalized for passing.

So far the funniest order was a lady who ordered a piece of pie and two eggs. She came out and was obviously high as a kite. And yeah, if you have disposable income it's a pretty great service. I used to order from them a lot too, which is what made me want to try out delivering.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 04:15:17 AM »

So far the funniest order was a lady who ordered a piece of pie and two eggs. She came out and was obviously high as a kite. And yeah, if you have disposable income it's a pretty great service. I used to order from them a lot too, which is what made me want to try out delivering.

When super baked, a piece of pie and a couple of eggs can be like a gastronomic adventure into parts unknown.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 04:18:46 PM »
If you are going to make a significant amount of money doing some side gigs be sure to form some kind of LLC first and keep separate books on the money you receive.  Failing to do that will cause you all kinds of problems in the future.  When I started a business 50 years ago, I kept my incomes from that business in my personal checkbook.  My income increased significantly, and things got screwed up.  Eventually I earned an audit by the IRS and ended up paying some extra taxes and fines.  An accountant was hired, and I separated all my business finances from my personal ones.  That’s the real downside of all the side gigs people have.  There’s nothing wrong with doing that and indicates all kinds of good things in people but if the finances are not handled in a professional manner there can be some significant accounting (and IRS) problems down the road.  Take this from a boomer who has personally made these mistakes and ended up paying for them.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 05:01:17 PM »
Today, I made $22/hour after taking gas into account.
Sounds like your town needs more Mexicans.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:14 AM »
If you are going to make a significant amount of money doing some side gigs be sure to form some kind of LLC first and keep separate books on the money you receive.  Failing to do that will cause you all kinds of problems in the future.  When I started a business 50 years ago, I kept my incomes from that business in my personal checkbook.  My income increased significantly, and things got screwed up.  Eventually I earned an audit by the IRS and ended up paying some extra taxes and fines.  An accountant was hired, and I separated all my business finances from my personal ones.  That’s the real downside of all the side gigs people have.  There’s nothing wrong with doing that and indicates all kinds of good things in people but if the finances are not handled in a professional manner there can be some significant accounting (and IRS) problems down the road.  Take this from a boomer who has personally made these mistakes and ended up paying for them.

They send you a filled out 1099 at the end of the year. I'm pretty sure you can also access it digitally. As far as "books" go, the app keeps track of every delivery you've made, gives you a month-to-month, week-to-week, and day-to-day breakdown of how much you've been paid, which you can of course download any time you want.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 12:11:11 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:54 PM »
I made about $25/hour today after gas. No crazy stories.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 10:05:49 PM »
Just stumbled upon this. Watch out for "Tip Baiting". In short, because customers can change the tip after a delivery, some people exploit that by initially putting in a big tip then taking it away after delivery.

Customers Have Been Using Tips As Bait For Faster Service, And This DoorDash Guy Revealed How Bad It Really Is

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 04:17:43 AM »
Today was shit. I didn't make shit. I got to hear a lady go off on some restaurant staff because the place wasn't very clean. I'm sure they spit in her food.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 08:45:38 PM »
Currently on a delivery right now. It’s pretty slow today, which is odd considering all the handegg games going on. I noticed a lot of other food delivery people I encounter race to do orders as fast as they can. But the algorithm for DoorDash gives you plenty of time to just cruise. I just leisurely drive around, which is actually p chill ngl.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 04:36:14 AM »
I also got two free sodas.

How did you get two free sodas?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 04:39:57 AM »
I also got two free sodas.

How did you get two free sodas?

The dude at the counter gave me a stack of cups without counting them.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »
It's been slow the last couple of days. I did see one of those fire department command trucks slam into someone at an intersection though. He just ran the red light without any sirens or lights on. Luckily, the car he hit didn't seem too badly damaged and the driver was able to get out. Also, people in the hood don't tip that well. I delivered a giant Walmart order to some lady in a hood apartment complex and she tipped $2. To top it off, the complex had a gate and she didn't even provide a gate code in the delivery instructions. I called her and couldn't hear a word she was saying. It sounded like there were 10 people in the same room all talking as loudly as they could. I had to get out of the car and ask the person in the car behind me to open it. No more Walmart orders for me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:18:12 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 07:13:41 PM »
It's been slow the last couple of days.
Are you trying to tell us that Doordash isn't the next bitcoin and that I won't find Logan Paul and Kanye West Doordashing as a side hustle? Because I thought you were going to be one of the first Doordash millionaires. I'm sad for you.  :'(

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 07:26:31 PM »
Because I thought you were going to be one of the first Doordash millionaires. I'm sad for you.  :'(

I've never had the expectation that I'd be a millionaire doing any job, let alone DoorDash. If you thought that were possible, maybe you're just slow?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 08:37:17 PM »
Because I thought you were going to be one of the first Doordash millionaires. I'm sad for you.  :'(

I've never had the expectation that I'd be a millionaire doing any job, let alone DoorDash. If you thought that were possible, maybe you're just slow?

Quote from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846467
Britons like to think they have a "special relationship" with the US, based on a common language and cultural, historical and political ties.

But, according to one of the UK's most respected polling companies, there's one chasm the English language can't always bridge - the British love of passive-aggressive statements.

In the words of YouGov, "half of Americans wouldn't be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot".
Can't argue with science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 05:44:49 AM »
Can't argue with science. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You do that constantly.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
Has the epic adventure come to an end?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume