Offline Gaia

• View Profile
Why the space mission failed?
« on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
Hey there! I've got an other question which only just occurred to me (if this has been addressed all ready I would appreciate to be pointed to right direction).

If the Earth is flat, why did the space mission fail?

I know this sounds a bit weird, but bear with me. There are plenty of reasons why going to space is incredibly difficult, just the sheer enormity of the distances makes it both dangerous and expensive to make it even to the nearest of destinations. On top of that there is a myriad of other difficulties posed by the atmosphere, gravity and the Van Allen belts just to name a few.

However, quite a few of these complications would seem to disappear when assuming the flat earth model. So why is it impossible to make space flights high enough to be level with The Sun, observe the whole of the Earth etc. which would have led to the discovery of flat Earth ?

I understand that this isn't a question to which there can be an answer backed by empirical evidence but I would appreciate your theories and ideas.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
Re: Why the space mission failed?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:23 PM »
Which mission are you referring to?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
I presume he means space travel generally. And he has a point.
The FE idea is that space travel isn’t possible and the whole thing is a hoax. Of course there is no hard evidence of this. Lots of speculation and supposition but that’s about it.
But if you’re going to believe in a flat earth then you can’t really go around believe that we’ve been to the moon or that there are people right now on the ISS orbiting the globe earth, so a space travel conspiracy is part of the FE package.

There is something on the Occam’s Razor page of the Wiki about this but it’s really just an argument from incredulity.

So the original post asks a good question. Whatever the shape of the earth why wouldn’t we have the technology to go into space? Rockets demonstrably work, I have witnessed a space shuttle launch. Why couldn’t the technology exist to get us into space?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
So the original post asks a good question. Whatever the shape of the earth why wouldn’t we have the technology to go into space? Rockets demonstrably work, I have witnessed a space shuttle launch. Why couldn’t the technology exist to get us into space?

I wonder too. In the wiki regarding the Moon it states: "It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth." You can fly coast to coast in the States, about 3000 miles, in around 6 hours. Hell, Quantas just started a route non-stop from San Francisco to Melbourne and that's pushing 8000 miles. So what really in FET is preventing humans from going 3000 miles vertically?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
To be fair, going vertically is quite a lot trickier than going horizontally - otherwise space tourism would be much more of a thing right now.
But we do have the technology to go into space and I haven’t seen a coherent argument why we wouldn’t have.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
To be fair, going vertically is quite a lot trickier than going horizontally - otherwise space tourism would be much more of a thing right now.
But we do have the technology to go into space and I haven’t seen a coherent argument why we wouldn’t have.

Agreed. I think the point is what in FET makes, for example, the existence of the ISS, 250 miles up, an impossibility?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
I presume he means space travel generally. And he has a point.
The FE idea is that space travel isn’t possible and the whole thing is a hoax. Of course there is no hard evidence of this. Lots of speculation and supposition but that’s about it.
But if you’re going to believe in a flat earth then you can’t really go around believe that we’ve been to the moon or that there are people right now on the ISS orbiting the globe earth, so a space travel conspiracy is part of the FE package.

There is something on the Occam’s Razor page of the Wiki about this but it’s really just an argument from incredulity.

I've always wondered if the sun, moon and other celestial bodies can ride the currents of the UA, then why can't rockets and satellites?  Maybe NASA is just lying about how satellites and orbits really work.  It could explain why satellites are usually made of so many exotic materials needed for controlled UA interaction.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

BillO

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
Very interesting question indeed.  For those that don't believe in a Flat Earth it is an relatively easy thing to go up 3000 miles.  For us satellites are launched up 22K+ miles all the time.  We need a Flat Earther to chime in on this.  Even those that believe in a dome and the firmament also believe the sun and teh moon to be within the dome.  So, good question.