Saddam Hussein

Re: Survivor2299
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2013, 04:10:45 AM »
ok

Stop playing Dark Souls and start playing this, you homofaggot.

So, given the current state of the franchise, F3 was actually an improvement?
Brotherhood of Steel was just a spin-off, not part of the main series. The original Fallout 3, more commonly known by its codename Van Buren, was ~50% complete in 2003, then Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise and it was canned.

In other words: no.

Bro, no.  Van Buren was cancelled because Black Isle was shut down by Interplay, and that happened because the company was almost bankrupt.  Bethesda licensed the rights to make F3 in 2004, and they bought the franchise in 2007.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »
I haven't played Dark Souls in a long time either  :(

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2013, 05:08:43 AM »
Then you have no excuse.  Play NV nao.  Srsly, it's gud.  No cinematic setpieces or anything.

Also, where's Orbis?  Back on the other website he wouldn't shut up about Fallout.  Now we have an official thread and he's nowhere to be found. >o<

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2013, 10:03:48 AM »
So, given the current state of the franchise, F3 was actually an improvement?
Brotherhood of Steel was just a spin-off, not part of the main series. The original Fallout 3, more commonly known by its codename Van Buren, was ~50% complete in 2003, then Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise and it was canned.

In other words: no.

Bro, no.  Van Buren was cancelled because Black Isle was shut down by Interplay, and that happened because the company was almost bankrupt.  Bethesda licensed the rights to make F3 in 2004, and they bought the franchise in 2007.

Well then, perhaps my sources were wrong, in any case that still doesn't make the F3 we got an improvement over the F3 we were originally going to get.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2013, 03:28:36 AM »
I'm guessing you got that idea from the article on Van Buren on that Nukapedia wiki.  It's normally a pretty reliable source, but it's dead wrong on that point.  No, the real culprits behind Fallout's temporary demise were the folks at Titus Software, the same geniuses who gave us Superman for the N64.

In any case, though, I didn't say anything about improvements over hypothetical games that we might have gotten instead.  By that logic, I could argue that Bethesda's F3 was infinitely better than the Call of Fallout game that EA would have been likely to make.  The fact is that the last game in the franchise was that shitty BoS one.  So there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:06:37 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
I'm guessing you got that idea from the article on Van Buren on that Fallout wiki, The Vault.  It's normally a pretty reliable source, but it's dead wrong on that point.  No, the real culprits behind Fallout's temporary demise were the folks at Titus Software, the same geniuses who gave us Superman for the N64.

In any case, though, I didn't say anything about improvements over hypothetical games that we might have gotten instead.  By that logic, I could argue that Bethesda's F3 was infinitely better than the Call of Fallout game that EA would have been likely to make.  The fact is that the last game in the franchise was that shitty BoS one.  So there.

Fine, fine... but my dad could beat up your dad

Anyway, I'll see you here again whenever I get around to untangling the lore surrounding LR.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
Playing Lonesome Road on Very Hard. Saddam's post is relevant. 100 stimpaks.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
Even Parsifal admits my posts are relevant.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
And I'm done. Not sure how I feel about that.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2013, 02:21:43 AM »
I have now played all the DLC's, and I reached lvl 50 the moment I entered Ulysses' Temple. I find it sad that 50 is the max level. I will now roam the Mojave for a while and do a some more quests before I face Lanius and tell him to go home.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »
I have now played all the DLC's, and I reached lvl 50 the moment I entered Ulysses' Temple. I find it sad that 50 is the max level. I will now roam the Mojave for a while and do a some more quests before I face Lanius and tell him to go home.

Compare and contrast NV with F3.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2013, 02:40:13 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out if Fallout NV had a good story or just a lot of fancy stuff pulled over a load of crap.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2013, 02:58:50 AM »

Compare and contrast NV with F3.
I can not. I haven't played F3 enough to make a comparision. I only exited the vault and went to Megaton, disabled the bomb, and then I stopped playing for reasons I can't remember. I also have no interest in getting it on steam, because GFWL.
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2013, 03:01:17 AM »
No.
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:38 AM »
Oh no how horrible
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »
Just wanted to do a quick note on this because lore lore lore. Also, while I tend to agree with a lot of the criticisms proffered by the typical NMA user, I do think they are extremely whiny about it. I think instead of basically saying "Bethesda ruined everything" (which I assure you I have only ever done in jest) we fans of Fallout should be encouraging them to do better, to see where they went wrong and help them get on the right track, and if they don't listen at least we tried.

I've heard that a lot of people hate it for bringing aliens into the Fallout universe, and also because there's some implication that the aliens might have been responsible for the nuclear war.  For example, here's a couple of discussions on the subject:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=987366

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/1erk0w/

Fair warning, they're full of smug hipsters circlejerking.

I'm willing to forgive lore problems if I'm having fun, and while MZ is absolute bullshit in terms of lore, it is fun. I think it was the point in the development schedule at which Bethesda just decided to do something that was goofy and entertaining, and in abandoning all pretence of seriousness they actually ended up coming their closest to the original games, even though they were introducing something totally alien (no pun intended) to the series thus far. If they decide to push it in F4 I may be less receptive to it, especially if it's significant to the main story and serves to further the more objectionable implications some people mention in the linked discussions, but I think as a 1-2 hour DLC adventure it was good fun and had the best comedic writing in the whole gameā€”not much of an achievement considering the rest of the game was about as funny as Andrew Dice Clay and even less charming, but it's something.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »
What exactly do you mean when you compare the game's humor (whether positively or negatively) to the original two games?  I agree that F3 has pretty bad comedy for the most part, but it's at least given me a few laughs, which is more than I can say for the first game.  Admittedly, I haven't played a whole lot of it yet, but so far, the only funny thing I've seen is that they actually got MacGyver to voice one of the characters.  I'm not trying to be a sadaam or anything, but where's the humor?