Re: Solar Roadways
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
Thank you for giving the one obvious example Dave.  Is that the standard?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:25 AM »
Thank you for giving the one obvious example Dave.  Is that the standard?
Would you like a less obvious one?  I'm sure I can pull up Google maps and play around for a while.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »
Go for it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
All roads (built to code) are sloped to prevent flooding. There is no such thing as a legal flat road as it is considered a safety hazard.

« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2014, 05:26:39 PM »
My mistake for not making my post pendant-proof. I'm speaking of gradient, not of the general slope of the roadway from the middle to the edge.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
My mistake for not making my post pendant-proof.

What does jewelry-proofing your post have to do with mine?

I'm speaking of gradient, not of the general slope of the roadway from the middle to the edge.

We're talking about paving the roads with solar panels and why that may be a good/bad idea. What exactly are you talking about? It's starting to look like you're having an irrelevant sidebar conversation.

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
My phone picked out pendant instead of pedant and I missed that, my mistake.  I was referring to my thoughts that windy mountain roads would be about the only major concern when it comes to hilly terrain, and this is due to the gradients involved in the roads and how quickly they increase or decrease in their gradient.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
My mistake for not making my post pendant-proof. I'm speaking of gradient, not of the general slope of the roadway from the middle to the edge.
The gradient, in and of itself, is not that big a deal.  It's the flowing contours that large hexagonal tiles have a hard time following.  There's a reason that you don't see cobblestone streets with 12 inch or so hexagonal pavers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:09:38 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
I think you'd potentially be missing out on one of the major upsides of this technology if you did this, the defrosting.  Northern latitudes and mountains terrain are particularly susceptible to snow and ice accumulation and leads to list business during the winter.  This would help keep the roads clear of snow and ice and would probably keep businesses and across open 90% of the time.

The problem with this is energy usage. While it sounds great, the amount of energy necessary to heat the panels enough to melt snow is tremendous. In winter months the panels would burn more energy than they create.
How much is required?
It doesn't have to get to any great temperature, just enough to keep snow from collecting.

The energy required to convert a volume of solid water at 0oC to liquid water at 0oC is about the same amount of energy required to get that liquid water 3/4 of the way to boiling. This is not a trivial amount of energy.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Thork

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
All roads (built to code) are sloped to prevent flooding. There is no such thing as a legal flat road as it is considered a safety hazard.
They aren't sloped. They are cambered.  :-B

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2014, 09:12:38 PM »
Enter Thunderf00t.

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
I watched about half of that video over the weekend, and his arguments aren't exactly the best.  He lists a retail cost for the glass instead of wholesale or production cost.  He doesn't really back up his "glass is soft" argument which Dave has already been kind enough to prove is false.  His LED test used a white backing, not that I really believe it'd make a huge difference.  His cost to bury lines figure didn't really break out the material cost and the labor cost,  since they already have to trench up the edge of the roads anyway the labor would be minimal.  Just to name a few instances of weak arguments.

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
I think Thunderf00t is right. As I said before I'm sure there are large companies with roads/parking space that could accommodate this product.

It has a market, just not the one they've over-zealously pitched with a shouty man and cool laid back synth.

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »
Enter Thunderf00t.

Interesting. I don't know how I missed this, I subscribe to his station. I like watching him blow things up.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline markjo

• View Profile

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
Are you guys all really arguing that the entire project would be too much all at once?

Really?
The idea that we'd do this all at once is just as silly as the idea that we'd build all of America's roads all at once.  Or America's rail way system.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Are you guys all really arguing that the entire project would be too much all at once?
No, we're arguing that the project is completely infeasible. One of the many lines of reasoning is that the entire project would cost several times the US' yearly budget.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:26 AM »
No, we're arguing that the project is completely infeasible. One of the many lines of reasoning is that the entire project would cost several times the US' yearly budget.
Which would be spread out over a long, long time (decades, maybe), and would hopefully save enough to be worth it in the end.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:15 AM »
Which would be spread out over a long, long time (decades, maybe), and would hopefully save enough to be worth it in the end.
It wouldn't save anything. The costs of maintenance would be ludicrous.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »
Lots of state and local governments have a hard enough time affording asphalt.  What's the cost per mile and how long would it take to recoup the premium for a solar roadway upgrade?  Will the base (let alone the tiles) last that long?