100 Questions for Round-Earthers.
« on: April 28, 2020, 08:51:23 AM »
I made a video on my YouTube channel called 100 Questions for Round-Earthers. I figured I would repost those questions here because I believe some round-earthers frequent this website.

Video

Why do you believe the Earth is round?
Where is your evidence?
Is there any amount of evidence that would change your mind about the shape of the Earth?
If yes, what evidence would change your mind about the shape of the Earth?
If you believed the Earth was flat, would you admit it?
Have you always believed the Earth is round?
If no, what made you change your mind?
Have you ever observed the curvature of the Earth?
Have you ever been to space?
Have you ever been to the top of Mount Everest?
Can you believe in something you have never seen before?
What does faith mean to you?
Why do you deny the fact that the Earth is flat?
Will you believe anything the scientific community tells you?
If the scientific community told you the sky was red, would you accept it?
Do you believe that all planets are round, or just the Earth?
Do you believe that we put a man on the moon?
If yes, why haven’t we done it again since 1969?
What evidence do you have that we put a man on the moon?
What evidence would change your mind?
What is your opinion on conspiracies in general?
Do you believe the official story given by the government regarding the JFK assassination?
Do you believe that 9/11 was an inside job?
Do you believe in chemtrails?
Do you believe in the Illuminati?
Do you believe Obama was born in Hawaii, or Kenya?
Do you believe Obama is a Muslim?
Do you believe corona virus is real?
Do you believe that the CIA was testing methods of mind control in the 50’s and 60’s?
Do you believe in any conspiracies at all that were not already mentioned?
How do you square the fact that some of the most evil people in history believed the earth was round? Ex. Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Jim Jones, etc.
Do you believe in the “theory” of gravity, as proposed by Isaac Newton?
Were you aware that Isaac Newton attempted to steal all the credit for the invention of calculus from Gottfried Leibniz?
Why do you take someone who wore a powdered wig seriously?
Why do you strawman people you don’t agree with and claim they are somehow anti-science?
Do you believe in God?
If yes, what religion/denomination are you a member of?
Do you believe that water seeks its own level?
Do you believe in tectonic plates?
What is your evidence for tectonic plates?
Have you ever seen a tectonic plate?
Has anyone ever seen a tectonic plate?
If the tectonic plates move so slowly that you can’t even notice, how do we know that they move at all, assuming of course that they actually exist?
How many tectonic plates are there?
How many continents are there?
Why are Europe and Asia seen as two different continents even though they are clearly one landmass?
What is the definition of a continent?
What is the definition of a planet?
What is the definition of a species?
Do any of the previously mentioned words have clearly defined meanings?
Should words without clearly defined meanings be used in a scientific setting?
If tectonic plates can create a mountain, could they also destroy a mountain?
What evidence is there that a mountain can be formed by tectonic plates?
Have you ever observed a mountain being formed from tectonic plates?
If tectonic plates caused all the continents to become one massive landmass, why did they suddenly drift apart in the opposite direction?
Do you believe that earthquakes are caused by the shifting of tectonic plates?
Where is your evidence that earthquakes are caused by the shifting of tectonic plates?
Do you believe that Earth could have landmasses no person has ever been to?
Do you believe that life exists on other planets?
Do you believe aliens have visited Earth?
Have you ever heard of the Fermi Paradox?
The Fermi Paradox is as follows: If evilution is true, then shouldn’t we be seeing aliens everywhere?
What is your explanation for the Fermi Paradox?
Do you believe the sun is many times bigger than the moon?
If yes, how could a solar eclipse be possible?
If the sun was bigger than the moon, then what are the chances that the moon would be able to eclipse almost all the light from the sun, except for a rim of light?
How does a lunar eclipse make sense on a round earth?
If the earth was casting a shadow on the moon, wouldn’t it just cause the moon to appear black, instead of red?
Do you believe the Earth rotates around the sun?
Do you believe there are millions of planets?
Do you believe there are millions of stars?
Do you believe that our sun is a star?
Do you believe in galaxies?
Do you believe in black holes?
Do you believe in quasars?
Do you believe in pulsars?
Do you believe in nebulae?
Do you believe in supernovae?
Do you believe in neutron stars?
Do you believe in white dwarfs?
Do you believe in brown dwarfs?
Do you believe in red dwarfs?
Do you believe in red giants?
Do you believe in dark energy?
Do you believe in dark matter?
Do you believe in anti-matter?
If you answered yes to any of the previously mentioned celestial objects, why?
Where is your evidence that these celestial objects exist?
Have you ever observed any of these celestial objects?
Do you believe that in the future, there will be people born not on Earth? Ex. Mars, The Moon, deep space, etc.
Do you believe that in the future, people will be able to travel back and forth between different planets?
If we were to start a colony on a different planet or even the moon, what laws would they have to follow?
Why is it that the most famous planets and stars are named after pagan gods?
Did you know that astronomy originates from the false religion known as astrology?
Is pluto a planet?
If pluto is too small to be considered a planet, how big does something have to be in order to be a planet?
What is the difference between a planet and a dwarf planet, other than size?
How big does something orbiting a planet need to be in order to be considered a moon?
Is the fictitious international space station a moon?
Do you believe that our solar system could have a ninth, unknown planet?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Questions for Round-Earthers.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
I made a video on my YouTube channel called 100 Questions for Round-Earthers. I figured I would repost those questions here because I believe some round-earthers frequent this website.

Wow, that is a lot of questions. I'm going to be brief on ones that don't ask for details. Also going to assume this isn't a troll. I'm also not going to get into massive arguments over all 100 questions. If anyone wants to debate one, please start a new thread about it and don't clutter this one up.

The same reason I believe that the Amazon river exists, even though I have not seen it with my own eyes. Many others have and it's well documented.

Where is your evidence?

Literally all of science. Any theory that can be scaled up to the size of the Earth or solar system supports it. Newton's laws come down to the simple idea that matter attracts itself and gives a formula how 2 bodies interact. Just the first idea when thought about indicates that large amounts of matter should form a sphere, there is no other logical shape. Same with Einstein. All the various theories all fit together, all back each other up. It's overwhelming.

Is there any amount of evidence that would change your mind about the shape of the Earth?

Yes.

There are countless things that could change my mind.
Going to the space station and seeing a flat disk and a small sun and moon.
Looking over the edge.
Touching the dome.
Launching a rocket myself to the shadow object, or visiting it myself.
An accurate map of the Flat Earth that matches what we can measure and observe would certainly shake my belief.

Of course! I'd shout it from the rooftops. It would be an amazing discovery that literally would change the world. I'd want to be a part of it.

Yes.

N/A

Not directly.

Indirectly I've watched ships sail over the horizon.  I've take photons of objects at long distances. I grew up on a large body of water with hills and have seen how you see further the higher you go.

No.

No.

Yes.

It's personal, just like for everyone. It is something I believe and no evidence or arguing will change my mind.

I believe I am real and not a computer simulation. Can I prove it? No. But I still believe it.

I have not seen any evidence that shows it.

No.  String theory for example, I think is total garbage.

No.

Yes. The definition of a planet is a body large enough to pull itself into a sphere. There are non-round objects of course. Asteroids and comets.

Yes.

It's crazy expensive and dangerous and we

All the film footage of all the rocket launches, earth orbits, moon orbits, moon landings and personal testimony of people involved. It all forms a coherent story with no gaps and I can't come up with a way to have faked all that. It would have been harder than landing on the moon with so many involved.

All the surviving astronauts and NASA workers all coming out to admit it and Government assassins murdering them on live TV would make me question it.

I fall for some of them, not others based on what I want to believe. I try not to.

Do you believe the official story given by the government regarding the JFK assassination?

I don't think we know the full story but I'm not sure the government does either. Oswalds death is suspicious to me but I have no real proof.

No.

No.

No.

Hawaii.

No.

Yes.

Do you believe that the CIA was testing methods of mind control in the 50’s and 60’s?

Yes. But I don't think any of it worked.

That is a hard one. How would I know? I think US senators and lobbyists conspire against the public to benefit large corporations using bribes. I may edit this answer later if I come up with anything more.

How do you square the fact that some of the most evil people in history believed the earth was round? Ex. Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Jeffery Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Jim Jones, etc.

Hitler liked dogs.  I like dogs.  Am I evil? No.

Nobody is pure good or evil. An evil person can do nice things. A good person can do bad things.

I believe that his theory of gravity is a very good approximation of reality. It is obviously not correct, Einstein proved that. But it is close enough that it can be used for nearly any situation that doesn't involve relativistic speeds. We use it all the time to explore the solar system and predict astronomical events. But no, it is not correct. Gravity is still not fully understood. Doesn't mean I'm going to jump off a bridge because Newton's predictions will be off by a billionth of a nanometer when I hit, so I'll be fine, right?

And I believe his "theory" using the scientific definition of theory, not the layman's.

Were you aware that Isaac Newton attempted to steal all the credit for the invention of calculus from Gottfried Leibniz?

No, but I'm aware he had a lot of crazy out there ideas and had a lot of wrong beliefs.

Because I don't think dress codes are a valid reason to discount an argument.

Why do you strawman people you don’t agree with and claim they are somehow anti-science?

I don't.

Do you believe in God?

Not going to answer that one here. It's nobodies business but my own.

I'd be a... hey, I said I wasn't going to answer.

That phrase is too vague to answer, what does it even mean?  I believe water is ruled by many forces. Surface tension, gravity, convection, currents, waves, tides.

Water on a flat plane will spread out and be flat. Water on a large sphere will be drawn to it's surface and form a spherical shape. At small scales surface tension rules, at large scales gravity wins.

Yes.

The shape of the continents. Fault lines. GPS based measurments tracking the movements. Radio telescopes doing the same thing.

We are living on them so yes.

Everyone?

If the tectonic plates move so slowly that you can’t even notice, how do we know that they move at all, assuming of course that they actually exist?

GPS measurements can track the movements of centimeters or inches a year. Other methods are used and they all match.

I don't know off the top of my head.

Seven but that's just a number we use because humans like to draw lines and put things into categories. It could be  or 8 if we decided. It's arbitrary.

Why are Europe and Asia seen as two different continents even though they are clearly one landmass?

See my above answer.

A big landmass surrounded by water.

An object large enough to pull itself into a sphere, have it's own moons and be distinct from other objects. I'm typing all this from memory. It's also arbitrary.

A group of animals all sharing the same characteristics and who can interbreed.

In science yes, they have pretty clear meanings. Doesn't mean they are not also also arbitrary. Sometimes you define things just to make it easier to keep track and discuss them.

Yes but you should clarify what you mean by them if so.

Sure, old mountains are subsumed where one plate pushed under another and is melted.

Off the top of my head? Can't think of any. Not my area of expertise.

I have seen mountains, I have not seen them move. But I've FELT them move in many earthquakes. Anyone who has lived near the San Andres fault line long enough can tell you how it feels when a tectonic plate shifts.

If tectonic plates caused all the continents to become one massive landmass, why did they suddenly drift apart in the opposite direction?

As far as I recall, the theory is they started as one landmass and drifted apart.

Yes.

Where is your evidence that earthquakes are caused by the shifting of tectonic plates?

GPS measurements showing movement during a quake. They can literally track the movement in real time.

I'm sure there are tiny islands nobody has set foot on. I don't believe any exist that we have not mapped.

In the universe? Absolutely. In the galaxy, very close to 100%. In our solar system, I really hope we find something, even single celled stuff somewhere but am not hopeful.

No.

Yes.

The Fermi Paradox is as follows: If evilution is true, then shouldn’t we be seeing aliens everywhere?

I don't have one. That's why it's a paradox.

If I had to guess, intelligent life is rarer than we think. Also, colonizing the galaxy is a huge project, they might still be fighting over that first star they tried to spread out to.

Yes.

I can hold up a deck of cards and cover a large skyscraper that is far away. How can I do this if they are not the same size?  Perspective.

If the sun was bigger than the moon, then what are the chances that the moon would be able to eclipse almost all the light from the sun, except for a rim of light?

It's an amazing coincidence they appear to be the same size. We are lucky to have evolved/been born at a time we can witness it.  It will not last forever, the Moon is getting further away slowly.

How does it not?

If the earth was casting a shadow on the moon, wouldn’t it just cause the moon to appear black, instead of red?

No, because light is being filtered through the edges of the atmosphere. Refraction causes it to look blue to us, which means all that red light is being refracted away, and thats exactly what the moon is reflecting.

Yes.

In the galaxy, much more. In the observable universe, vastly more.

In the galaxy, much more. In the observable universe, vastly more.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. I believe there are objects with such immense gravity that light can not escape. What is inside them, or if there even is an inside is unknown.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I don't know. Observations seem to indicate universal expansion and that has to be caused by something, but we just don't know enough to truly understand what that is yet. Could be explained by something else. Still a mystery to me. So... maybe?

Yes. But I believe it in the scientific use of the term that there is SOMETHING out there we are not seeing. It could be some form of matter we never encountered, or a bunch of dust or dead planets we simply haven't been able to detect. Something is making galaxies rotate faster than they should. It could also be a flaw in our current theories. Nobody knows, that's what makes it exciting.

Yes.

I own a telescope. I've taken pictures of everything I can, from the sun to the moon, planets, asteroids, comets, galaxies, stars, clusters, gas clouds.

They all look like the stuff others take pictures of.  I can't imagine how it could all be faked. A big projection TV up there controlled by NASA?

I have seen them with my own eyes. We have visited them. I don't feel humans are capable of large scale, multi million person efforts to pull of such a massive scam. The USA couldn't keep the plans for any of our nuclear weapons from being stolen. There would be evidence if they were being faked.

Yes.

Do you believe that in the future, there will be people born not on Earth? Ex. Mars, The Moon, deep space, etc.

Yes.

Do you believe that in the future, people will be able to travel back and forth between different planets?

Yes.

If we were to start a colony on a different planet or even the moon, what laws would they have to follow?

The laws of whoever formed it, until they rebel. Which they will. Humans will be human.

They were named by people who worshiped those gods?

Did you know that astronomy originates from the false religion known as astrology?

I don't believe that to be true.

Is pluto a planet?

Yes.

If pluto is too small to be considered a planet, how big does something have to be in order to be a planet?

The definition of a planet is more complicated than size, and arbitrary. It's just a name. It's just how astronomers classify things. Making Pluto a planet makes all the other Pluto-class objects planets which mean they need names and we have to say stuff like "The solar system has 3,456 planets".

Planets are fewer than number and all unique so we want to name them for convenience. Nobody wants to name thousands of dwarf planets.

How big does something orbiting a planet need to be in order to be considered a moon?

Of the top of my head, no idea.

Again, this is just how humans name stuff. We can make up rules for that however we want. I call it an artificial moon.

Yes. Space is big, something could be out there very far off.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
Apologies for not bolding the questions like above, way more readable.

A: Because the evidence seems to point in that direction

Where is your evidence?

A: Everywhere, the fact that gps and maps we use match up, the fact that we can see satellites and the ISS and even communicate with people on board, all wouldn't be possible without a decent understanding of the globe and no conspiracy can get large enough that anyone could fool the world that the ISS exists if it doesn't.

A: Of course, my mind changes based on new information as should everyones.

A: I guess if the 'conspiracy' broke down (which should have by now if there was one) and hundred/thousands of professionals started coming forward with accounts that they were forced to fake things like rocket launches, moon landings, ship navigations, flight navigations etc. Or if I ever came across such coverups for myself. Or if/when commercial space flight becomes a thing and it so happens to be flat when I look down on it. having a working flat earth model would help too.

A: Yes, but I would have to be convinced confident in such assumptions before I go round telling people I'm a flat earther.

A: obviously when I was a baby I had no idea, but otherwise yes.

A: NA

A: I have observed the sinking ship effect which one would assume is curvature. No one on high or low land will ever really visibly see some kind of left to right curve because that's just now how it would work.

A: No but one can hope one day

A: No, the highest I've been is at Mont Blanc which I think has an elevation of around 4.5k feet

A: Yes... You can't see wind, some gasses, cells and atoms (without a microscope) but it's all still there. I've also never seen an ostrich with my own eyes in real life but I'm sure they exist.

A: To trust in a belief

A: Because so far, all the 'evidence' people have shown is either misguided or the results of an experiment that would work on a globe too.

A: No, there are some things you simply need to find out for yourself. An example of that would be studies done on purpose to sell a product, like if scientists concluded that people were less stressed while smoking a cigarette.

A: I have a decent idea of colours and how our eyes work, so no, but why would that ever happen?

A: I mean, anything massive enough seems to form a similar shape, so far that's just what we've observed to be true. Anything can happen though I suppose.

A: Yes

A: Financially it doesn't make much sense and people seem to care less and less about going back to the moon, so it's not justifiable I suppose. That said I would love it to happen.

A: Video and photo evidence which would be harder to fake in the 60's and 70's. That and a lot of first hand accounts from employees and their families. And geenerally the way the world works I don't see it as an impossible feat. Also other countries including Russia, which was against the US can confirm it happened.

A: If someone were to fake recreate the whole event now using technology from that era, which shouldn't be that hard if it was faked.

A: Some are founded in logic and may turn out to be true.

A: I'm neither here nor there on that, I simply don't care enough. :(

A: No, the government wouldn't cause that much destruction and death to themselves and it would be too hard to cover up. The buildings were huge, government officials family and friends could have been in there, why would anyone do that to themselves and their loved ones?

A: No

A: Not really, I'm sure there are some powerful people in the world but not to that extent really.

A: I would assume Hawaii, but I wasn't there to see it.

A: No, but I don't care if he is or isn't.

A: Yes, and anyone who says it's not is a moron and should stop talking. I have family members working in hospitals on those wards.

A: Lol probably, I dunno.

A: I'm beginning to think the writers of The Simpsons have a time machine.

A: Hitler also urinated and ate food. Hitler liked dogs and painting. Are those things now evil or wrong?

A: If it works then it works. I believe our understanding of gravity is yet to be complete.

A: No, I wasn't but I honestly don't really look up to the guy, he is just some dude in the past to me.

A: Why would anyones physical appearance or fashion choices mean anything to me?

A: I don't? I'm assuming this question is in jest.

Do you believe in God?

A: No, but anything is possible.

A: NA

A: I believe that's a thing flat earthers might say as some kind of evidence of a flat earth, but I don't think it's relevant

A: It's in the way land has formed and where earthquakes happen to be.

A: In the form of data I suppose.

A: I'm not sure tbh, I've not thought about it

A: Evidence based on landscape and animal/plant species tell a story.

A: 7 but maybe more for all I know

A: 7

A: I'm assuming it was a manmade decision. Why are wales, england and scotland 3 countries?

A: landmass

A: A massive body orbiting a star

A: This one I'm unsure, I don't know much about biology or the reasons some species are. I just know they are different enough to be their own species as defined by some rule we've made, something I'd have to look up some time.

A: This is too vague a question to really answer.

A: Every official word has a clearly defined meaning, whether or not we know that meaning or not doesn't matter. For example, should a french person speak french in a scientific setting when I can't speak french?

A: I don't know I guess some volcanoes can be quite destructive?

A: Volcanos, earthqakes. Land is formed and reformed every day

A: Lol no, but I've also never been in any kind of setting where that would happen because it's not my profession or passion.

A: Did tectonic plates cause all the continents to be come one massive landmass?

A: I see no reason not to believe it.

A: data visually shows, just take a look at where all earthquakes happen.

A: I think it's possible there's an island or two out there that has never has a human on it.

A: Obviously I don't know this for sure, but I think the probability of this being true is high even if we never see aliens.

A: No, at least not in the form of a spacecraft or technology of any kind. And certainly no intelligent aliens

A: I think so.

The Fermi Paradox is as follows: If evolution is true, then shouldn’t we be seeing aliens everywhere?

A: The universe is vast and life comes and goes frequently. I think the chances of ever meeting intelligent alien life is unlikely and to be honest, I sometimes wonder if alien life would be more like the other life on earth that isn't human.

A: see above?

A: The same way any object can block light.

A: Maybe visibly, but the moons shadow doesn't come anywhere near close enough to block out all of earth. I'd say it's a pretty crazy coincidence though

A: Why wouldn't it? it's the same as a lunar eclipse but earth and moon swapped. The moon is round so why wouldn't it work the same?

A: There is such as thing as ambient light. Light bounces off all kinds of surfaces. Think of it this way, in a room with a window during daytime, if the sun isn't beaming through the window directly how is the room still lit up?

A: I don't know how many planets in the universe there are

A: Again, no idea how many there are.

A: yes

A: We can see them so yes.

A: no reason not to I suppose.

A: Again, no reason not to

A: Great show.

A: I don't know for sure

A: because we can see them and measure radiation coming from them

A: Literally seeing them.

A: yes

A: it is a possibility

A: I think it's very unsustainable with our resources but it's a possibility.

A: Probably a universal "don't be an asshat" law.

A: Because humans name stuff

A: I didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if true. early history shows religion to be more prominent than science.

Is pluto a planet?

A: Aw man, I can't hate on pluto.

A: I don't know, but really it's just a human classification. A description. How big does a person have to be in order to not be a dwarf?

A: Not sure.

A: Not sure again

A: the fictitious ISS can be anything it wants to be. the real ISS is not a moon though I suppose.

A: Sure, there's evidence of one. I dunno how many undiscovered planets there are in the solar system
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:10:42 PM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »

Ships go over the horizon, the horizon increases with distance and drops below eye level with height, star trails rotate around the poles in different directions in the hemispheres. The ISS can be seen from the ground, GPS and satellite TV, airlines using great circle routes.

Where is your evidence?

See above. The models we have of a globe earth demonstrably work. The technologies that rely on it work. There is no such thing as a FE scientist because none of the evidence points to that being true. The best FE can do is to invent mechanisms to try and explain why observations better match what we'd expect to see on a globe.

Yes.

There would have to be a massive WikiLeaks style release of information from people involved in faking the globe earth or space travel, some photos of the flat earth from space and a map and model that actually works and explains observations.

Yes. If I believed it then the evidence would have to be compelling enough that a lot of people would believe it and it would probably become the new mainstream view

Yes.

N/A

No, not in the sense of being high enough to see a curved horizon.

No.

No.

Yes.

It means believing in something I can't prove I guess, but I'd suggest that if you think about it that would apply to most things.

There is no evidence for it. This place should present it if any exists and the FE model just doesn't work. The sun would not maintain a consistent angular size and velocity if it were circling above us and it would not set, to explain these things mechanisms like "magnification" and EA are invented without evidence of those mechanisms existing. All these do is explain why the observations better match a globe earth. I'd suggest a simpler and better explanation is that the earth is a globe.
There is no FE model or map which works and matches our observations.

I believe that the current scientific community use the models which best match the observed reality and are open to those models being amended or replaced if better ones come along - as evidenced be Relativity replacing Newton in terms of being our best understanding of gravity. I don't believe they are actively trying to fool us although some may do work sponsored by certain companies which may skew their conclusions as they did with the whole debate about the dangers of smoking. Ultimately though the truth tends to emerge when the evidence is strong enough.

I don't believe they would ever say that.

It's not a matter of belief, they are observably round. And we know why they are.

Yes.

Mostly the cost. The space race in the 60s cost a huge amount of money and was politically motivated. There just isn't the political will to justify that amount of expenditure any more.

It's all on film, most of the guys who went there are still alive and none have admitted it was all a conspiracy - neither have any of the other people who worked on Apollo many of whom surely must have known it was being faked if it was. There's also plenty of 3rd party evidence - at the time Jodrell Bank in the UK were tracking the craft, the Australians were relaying signals. Amateurs were tracking the craft too. The Russians must have been and never called the US out on a lie. We have the laser reflectors which are still being used, the Chinese have a craft which they claim can take photos of good enough resolution to see the landing sites.
All the evidence I've seen for a conspiracy is based on incredulity or ignorance.

If lots of people who were involved suddenly started speaking out and explaining how it was all faked maybe.

It takes a certain mindset to believe in them and it's generally people who like to believe that "they" are up to something. They generally involve clinging on desperately to any shred of evidence which implies a conspiracy could be at work and ignoring the mountain of evidence that it is not.

Yes. I saw a good documentary about it actually which debunked a lot of the nonsense in the film "JFK".

No.

No.

No.

Hawaii.

No.

Yes.

I have no real opinion, not something I've looked into.

Not really, I mean I'm sure "they" are up to some things but there is no obvious motive for most of the conspiracy theories I've heard about.

Square it with what? Most humans in history believed the earth was round so that includes evil people and good people (whatever "good" means).

It is not our best model of gravity since Einstein's came along but I believe in it in as much as it's a very good approximation for most situations and has been used successfully for centuries.

My understanding is they pretty much developed it independently and yes, Newton took all the credit. I'm not sure what you're getting at though. A person doesn't have to have an impeccible character to be a good scientist.

Because he lived at a time when that was the fashion and his models have indisputably been shown to be correct - or at least a good enough approximation to be useful.

I don't.

Do you believe in God?

Yes

Christian

Not in the way that is meant in the FE community. Water like any liquid is subject to the forces that act on it. A small drop of water will form into a sphere, tiny drops of water can form a mist and be suspended in the air (that's what clouds are and, when they're at ground level, fog/mist).
A thin film of water can cling to the outside of a sphere. If the sphere is large enough and has a gravitational field then the level of the water can follow the curve of the sphere because the gravitational force acts towards the centre of the sphere.

Yes.

Evidence from volcanos/earthquakes, there's evidence from magnetic stripes on the sea floor which are evidence for movement over time, there are things continuing mounain ranges and animal/plant fossils across continents in a way which indicates a joined past.

Well, we all live on one but I don't really know what that means.

As above

You can find evidence for the way plates have moved over time - features like fences which used to be alined which are now not following plate slips. And GPS measurements are now accurate enough to detect the movement.

I don't know.

So in the UK we think of 5: Africa, Europe, The Americas, Asia and Australia. Antartica is a continent but when I was at school I think we didn't count that, I guess because there's no indiginous population. And the Arctic isn't a continent, just a load of ice.

Good question. Isn't Africa also connected? It's just a definition, I'm not clear how the separation was made or why.

As above, I don't know how they're defined or why. It seems pretty arbitrary but then so are countries.

Not exactly sure but I believe it has to be large enough to be gravitationally dominant in its orbit - so have cleared out other objects in the same orbit.

Not 100% sure. I know it's a population that can interbreed but it is probably a bit more complicated than that.

I believe they do although I'm not 100% sure of what those definitions are.

Ideally terms should be defined to help common understanding.

I think mountains are destroyed more by erosion rather than tectonic plate activity but am not sure.

I believe the Himalayas have been formed by the plate India is on smashing (slowly) into the plate North of it, The evidence for this is fossils found high up on the mountains which are from sea creatures - so that land must have been undewater at some point - and I believe because of the continued movement of that plate the Himalayas are continuing to grow in a measurable way.

The change of height of a montain can be observed over longer periods of time but the question is silly. Look at your fingernail, can you observe it growing? No? Well, it can't be then. Look at it again in a couple of weeks, then you'll observe a difference, that is how we can observe that mountains are being formed by plate movement.

Not sure about this but I believe the land formed as one landmass - pangea - and then broke apart.

Yes.

The movement of plates can be measured by GPS and earthquake location corresponds to the plate boundaries.

Not a large one, no. We have enough satellites now and the globe has been mapped well enough to make it impossible that any large landmass exists which we have not found.

I'm going to sit on the fence on this one. The size of the universe makes it feasible but so many things are unknown to make it impossible to be sure.

No.

Yes although I'm not clear on what it says.

Distance. The nearest star, Alpha Proxima, is 4 light years away. We do not have the technology to get there in any reasonable timeframe. And that's the nearest star. It's possible that some alien civilisation somewhere out there has better technology but given that as far as we understand the speed of light is some universal speed limit, they're still too far away to get to us or communicate.

Yes.

Because the sun is further away than the moon. They are different sizes and different distances which makes the angular size roughly the same. You could hold a coin up and block out the sun too - obviously it would cast a significantly smaller shadow though.

It is quite the coincidence, if the moon were closer we'd have eclipses which would last a lot longer, if it were further we wouldn't get them at all. But note that the moon's distance does vary and sometimes it is too far away to completely block the sun and we get an annular eclipse.

I don't understand the question. The moon is in the earth's shadow. How does it make sense on a flat earth?

As the shadow moves across the disc of the moon it is mostly black but at some points of totality the light is filtered through the earth's atmosphere, the blue light is scattered (hence we see blue skies) and reddish light is cast onto the moon. What is the FE explanation?

Yes.

Yes. Well, there will be more than that in the universe.

It's orders of magnitude more than that.

Yes. The spectoscopy evidence shows that our sun is made of the same stuff as other stars so there's good reason to believe the sun is basically the same as other stars.

Yes.

Yes

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I'm not sure about this.

Only in the sense that it's used as a placeholder right now, it seems like there is more matter out there than we can observe.

Yes.

Because of the evidence from various astronomers, Hubble has taken photos of many of these things.

As above.

Only photos from various space agencies/astronomers.

It's possible.

Within the solar system, possibly.

Good question. Like any colony, those would have to be defined and would evolve over time

They were disovered by people who worshiped those gods. Maybe they believed they were those gods.

I don't know if that is true but what of it? Astronomy is evidence based, astrology is not.

Is pluto a planet?

Not any more.

As I said above I believe it's something to do with it being gravitationally dominant which relates to its size.

I think it is mostly about size.

Not sure. Not that big though, I believe some of Jupter or Saturns are relateively small.

It's not fictitious, it can literally be seen from the ground. And no, it's a satellite.

Certainly possible.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
It's the same as why do you believe the gas tank in your car is empty.  You can't directly look into it and directly see the level, but you have
a level gauge that tells you how much is in there.  It's the same for the shape of the earth.  Marine gyroscopes, for instance, require that the earth
rotates to stabilize on a longitudinal azimuth. This is one reason, among others for me to maintain the belief of a round earth.

Where is your evidence?
A marine gyroscope can also provide other data besides just the azimuth towards the geographic North Pole.  If you have access to a computer and can
look at the service data, like I could, you can see the other x, y, and z data.  The data observed matches what you would see if the earth were round and
you traveled from North America to Asia.

I would have to see that the basic laws of physics just don't work at all and that all my college training and actual observations of the physical world
were just a bunch of bunk.

Yes

Yes

N/A

Yes, with instruments, as described above.

No.

No.

Yes. I've never seen an atom, but I believe that everything is made from them.

N/A

The evidence I've directly seen doesn't support it.  Suppose there was a box in the middle of town with either a black or white cat
inside of it.  I couldn't directly see the cat with my own eyes, but I could use some instruments to measure the cat's color directly.
This instrument had been directly calibrated by me with black & white squares so I trusted it's measurements.  My measurements
indicated that the cat was white.  Why would I ever think that I would directly see a black cat inside that box if I ever had the opportunity
to directly see it?

N/A

N/A

N/A

Yes.  I listened to that adventure in real time when I was younger.  Moon rocks were brought back that were unique
with characteristics that couldn't be present on earth.  I've physically touched one so I know that they exist.

Doesn't matter.  The question is, was there a man on the moon, ever?

Astronauts say they were on the moon.  You would have to call all of them liars and all the other data involved with those missions
fabrications if you were to say it wasn't true. 

If there was some other evidence that man was never on the moon, how would you know that other evidence wasn't just fabricated?

N/A

N/A

Do you believe in God?

*************No answers to the above questions ***************

Water will always flow in any direction closer to the center of gravity of the earth (down hill) in the absence of any other
force exerted on that drop of water.

Is pluto a planet?

************Didn't answer any of these questions*********************************

The space station is real.  There's humans aboard it.  I've personally heard them talking on the radio to
a ground station.  It's been directly observed & photographed from the earth.

N/A
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!