Thork

On this day ...
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »
On this day...

[Rowbotham, Samuel B.] Zetetic astronomy. A description of several experiments which prove that the surface of the sea is a perfect plane, and that the earth is not a globe. Being the substance of a paper read before the Royal Astronomical Society on the evening of Dec. 8, 1848. By ‘Parallax' [pseud.] Birmingham, W. Cornish, 1849. 16 p. illus.
    QB638.R87
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/flatearth.html

For all those that say Earth Not a Globe was not peer reviewed ::)

Rama Set

Re: On this day ...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Presenting a paper is not the same as having it reviewed but it's pretty close. What did the Royal Astronomical Society say about the paper?

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:46:32 PM »
On this day...

[Rowbotham, Samuel B.] Zetetic astronomy. A description of several experiments which prove that the surface of the sea is a perfect plane, and that the earth is not a globe. Being the substance of a paper read before the Royal Astronomical Society on the evening of Dec. 8, 1848. By ‘Parallax' [pseud.] Birmingham, W. Cornish, 1849. 16 p. illus.
    QB638.R87
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/flatearth.html

For all those that say Earth Not a Globe was not peer reviewed ::)
Let us all celabrate! What a great day. A day when histrey was made God Bless FES!!!!!!!!!! :D
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
Presenting a paper is not the same as having it reviewed but it's pretty close. What did the Royal Astronomical Society say about the paper?
I don't imagine they weren't overly keen on it. It basically said everything they thought was wrong.

We'll have to find out I guess. The info must be out there somewhere. Might be a nice littleresearch project for and REr, being as its not likely to cement our case any. But its nice to know the highest authorities have not been able to ignore the influence of the Flat Earth Society.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:26:38 AM »

I thought the FES was older?

Rama Set

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »

I thought the FES was older?

Older than what?

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »
The Royal Astronomical Society

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:45:43 AM »
Well, some say that it goes back to the Bavarian Globemakers Guild.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)