The FES
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
I don't think I've seen anything that fully describes the purpose of the FES (I could be barking up the wrong tree here). What's its guiding principle, it's vision?

I'm guessing for a lot of people it's about the forum, but is it more than that?

What exactly is the FES?

Is there a general consensus.

I think it's important to define this place and what it stands for (sooner rather than later) so people can understand what this place is about, what it's meant to be achieving.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
Re: The FES
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure the home page on .org had that information.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
I just consider it a massive punch to what people think is true. I mean, who really questions the shape of the Earth? It's all about questioning. I still suck at all of this, mind you.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
Not a suggestion or concern, moving to the Lounge FEG.
Sorry, I'm gonna be a bit of a nazi in S&C. We're getting a lot of threads, and I'm worried that side discussions will make us miss something.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
Sorry, I'm gonna be a bit of a nazi in S&C. We're getting a lot of threads, and I'm worried that side discussions will make us miss something.

You are worse than that Junker guy on the old site.

I think FES is really just a gathering of like-minded folks.  Aside from the few FEBs, it is a place to challenge convention, and talk to people who have similar interests.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »
I don't think I've seen anything that fully describes the purpose of the FES (I could be barking up the wrong tree here). What's its guiding principle, it's vision?

I'm guessing for a lot of people it's about the forum, but is it more than that?

What exactly is the FES?

Is there a general consensus.

I think it's important to define this place and what it stands for (sooner rather than later) so people can understand what this place is about, what it's meant to be achieving.
The Flat Earth Society tis as simple as it gets! A real legel organization that knows the Earth is flat!!!!!!! But yes there tis more to it you can get a physicel membership and even get a monthley newsletter I beleive
I'm pretty sure the home page on .org had that information.
Most indeed
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:53:56 AM »
A place to challenge convention, and talk to people who have similar interests.

This should be promoted more. We should be more clear on the modern societies belief. There would be less angry noobs and more people promoting the FES image.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »

It was a suggestion.

It's a suggestion that you define what this place is about so that if you ever want to promote it etc... you have a bedrock to do it from.

Also not defining it makes new users (not old, we all have an idea of what it's about) confused as to what the FES is meant to be.

If you came here with no prior knowledge or experience of this place what would you think it's about?

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
A place to challenge convention, and talk to people who have similar interests.

This should be promoted more. We should be more clear on the modern societies belief. There would be less angry noobs and more people promoting the FES image.

The Flat Earth Society of Canada promoted this message, and asserted it did not seek to promote FET.  Sadly it died out and I think efforts to revive it were unsuccessful.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »

Previous Flat Earth Societies have traditionally practiced on a philosophy of empiricism. Read the first chapter of Earth Not a Globe for a primer.

Admittedly, in recent years many people have posted their theories on the public forum no matter how outlandish or unsupported, which are often repeated. I do have some ideas for subjecting theories to an empirical litmus test the society can use when vetting itself, similar to the ones Rowbotham implies in the text. Perhaps the upcoming Zetetic Council can play a role in providing guidelines for new theories.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:52:37 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »
I don't think I've seen anything that fully describes the purpose of the FES

1. Troll
2. Get attention (TV, newspapers, celebrities)
3. Bilk people for money for tshirts, hoodies, memorabilia.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »
To attract intellects like ^

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »
1. Troll

Actually there is some truth to the above since the Society has not done very well even towards its own members.  I have never received the sign-up package myself, nor a shirt that I paid $20 for, even after numerous emails.  How can I trust the Society with any of my funds when it has such a bad track record in regards to its own members?

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »
I think FES is really just a gathering of like-minded folks.  Aside from the few FEBs, it is a place to [talk about bitcoin and your favorite episode of 'Community' with the half-dozen or so people who post here].

e: not making fun of Junker in particular, just the site in general...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:30:30 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »
Actually there is some truth to the above since the Society has not done very well even towards its own members.  I have never received the sign-up package myself, nor a shirt that I paid $20 for, even after numerous emails.  How can I trust the Society with any of my funds when it has such a bad track record in regards to its own members?

The Conspiracy probably blocked your payment because they don't want people finding out the earth is flat through the medium of T-shirt. This is further evidence the earth is flat. Can someone add it to the wiki please?

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
1. Troll

If you made a payment and haven't received the goods I suggest you contact trading standards.

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
Daniel is going to jail.  :( :( :( :(

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »
1. Troll

Now that you mention it, I never received my membership materials either, despite being told that they were shipped twice.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:37 AM »
Just for clarity, you're likely talking about the old site. This society has never sold sign-up packages nor shirts, and never claimed to.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 04:07:29 AM »
Just for clarity, you're likely talking about the old site. This society has never sold sign-up packages nor shirts, and never claimed to.

Correct.