Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: The Zetetic Council
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Yeah, I agree. I don't see a reason for secrecy.

Coming from Secret User, somehow I doubt the verisimilitude of this statement. ;)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 05:22:43 AM »
Does one of the new Council members want to write up a blog post about the newly formed Council? I will then publish it on the homepage, with your name (real name or username; your choice) as credit.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
If a council member does not step up, I can write it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »
I'll do it. I'm not expecting to have any classes tomorrow anyway, because snow. I'll post it here for peer edit.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 05:21:10 AM »
I approve of setting up the forum.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:01 AM »
Me too.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »
So, what are we doing? I'd like to write that blog post and maybe write a constitution to put in the Council board, but first we need to decide. What are the jobs, rights, and responsibilities of the Council?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 02:06:28 AM »
I guess one of our responsibilities should be gathering and systematically organizing the various threads of Flat Earth Belief.  I feel like the notions that there must be one singular model that represents the entirety of Flat Earth Belief has become outdated, and one of the really interesting things about the modern movement is the diversity of opinion regarding what had previously been considered the cornerstones of the theory.  Many of the great modern FEers have added their own spin to the theory, or even completely revamped it.  One of our jobs as the first ever Zetetic Council should be organizing the various opinions into a cohesive whole, a blueprint for future Councils to build on.

Perhaps we should also be held somewhat responsible for the contents of the Wiki?  This is of course if the Council is intended to be what I think it is.  On the old board the Zetetic Council's sole purpose was deciding who should be allowed to be a FE believer, a practice I always found a bit weird.  But in a somewhat similar vein, perhaps we can take it upon ourselves to define and decide what is taken seriously as legitimate FE belief.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:20 AM »
I guess one of our responsibilities should be gathering and systematically organizing the various threads of Flat Earth Belief.  I feel like the notions that there must be one singular model that represents the entirety of Flat Earth Belief has become outdated, and one of the really interesting things about the modern movement is the diversity of opinion regarding what had previously been considered the cornerstones of the theory.  Many of the great modern FEers have added their own spin to the theory, or even completely revamped it.  One of our jobs as the first ever Zetetic Council should be organizing the various opinions into a cohesive whole, a blueprint for future Councils to build on.

Perhaps we should also be held somewhat responsible for the contents of the Wiki?  This is of course if the Council is intended to be what I think it is.  On the old board the Zetetic Council's sole purpose was deciding who should be allowed to be a FE believer, a practice I always found a bit weird.  But in a somewhat similar vein, perhaps we can take it upon ourselves to define and decide what is taken seriously as legitimate FE belief.

I like that idea. I can't decide whether it would be easier to organize FET in the Wiki or in threads on the forum. Probably both, actually.

We should be in charge of the FAQ, I think. I suggest that we have some sort of compulsion to make contributions to the Wiki, but I'm not so sure about having roles as governors of it. I can't think of anything we could actually do that the society as a whole wouldn't be better at.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »
I think an evidence page should be posted on this website. Post a link to ENaG. There have been many videos posted over time concerning moon landing fakery, I think a guy named Boylan or something, has a video pointing out NASA bs.  Out of all the interesting videos, they never seemed to get saved, and just fade away. If there were an evidence page the info could be compiled together and saved over time.
 The Zetetic Council should oversee what gets put in the compendium. They can take a vote on such additions to the evidence page. That way a piece that is crazy won't get put in by one idiot. It would take more than one idiot to have it included.
God is real.

Rama Set

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »
I think an evidence page should be posted on this website. Post a link to ENaG. There have been many videos posted over time concerning moon landing fakery, I think a guy named Boylan or something, has a video pointing out NASA bs.  Out of all the interesting videos, they never seemed to get saved, and just fade away. If there were an evidence page the info could be compiled together and saved over time.
 The Zetetic Council should oversee what gets put in the compendium. They can take a vote on such additions to the evidence page. That way a piece that is crazy won't get put in by one idiot. It would take more than one idiot to have it included.

A good idea maybe meriting its own subforum.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »

Why?  We already have Flat Earth Information Repository.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:44 AM »

Why?  We already have Flat Earth Information Repository.
We need a page with all the Zetetically approved info gathered in one place, that won't drop down to oblivion. The info needs to stay in one place. People come here all the time looking for evidence. Why not put it all in one place and leave it there. It's crazy to have it all in different threads that get forgotten in a week or two.
God is real.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 03:27:48 AM »
We need a page with all the Zetetically approved info gathered in one place, that won't drop down to oblivion. The info needs to stay in one place. People come here all the time looking for evidence. Why not put it all in one place and leave it there.
Do you mean something like the FE Wiki?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:05 AM »
We need a page with all the Zetetically approved info gathered in one place, that won't drop down to oblivion. The info needs to stay in one place. People come here all the time looking for evidence. Why not put it all in one place and leave it there.
Do you mean something like the FE Wiki?
Maybe something somewhat like it. But that wiki sucks. I am thinking of an evidence page, with links to available information. Links to relevant youtubes. Over the years there has been plenty of good info presented, nasa malfeasence and lies. Pictures across water, people giving testimony, or whatever. If all the evidence was kept in one place it would be awesome. Before it can make the evidence page, the council would review it, talk about it. Then the council would vote on if it meets the criteria of Zetetic evidence.
Material could be added or removed as is seen fit. There could be different areas of evidence grouped together. The current wiki is a piece of crap. I know personally there is evidence I would review or show people, but there is no easy way to find things buried in 2 year old threads.
God is real.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
Right, so you're complaining about the Wiki and talking about stuff that you'd like to show people, which should logically belong to the Wiki. Have you considered contributing to the Wiki?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
I'll do it. I'm not expecting to have any classes tomorrow anyway, because snow. I'll post it here for peer edit.
Any progress on that? The news is becoming somewhat stale by now.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Any progress on that? The news is becoming somewhat stale by now.

As I said, I was expecting more people to actually give some input on the council. I'd like to have a more concrete idea of our role, responsibilities, rights, etc. before saying something official. If you'd rather I just make something up I'd be happy to.

I already wrote an outline for it. I just need to add in the details
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:52:54 PM by Tausami »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
As I said, I was expecting more people to actually give some input on the council. I'd like to have a more concrete idea of our role, responsibilities, rights, etc. before saying something official.
To my understanding, writing a constitution was supposed to be the first task of the Council, but this is being ignored for some reason.

Thork

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »
Oh alright. We'll do it. Its not as fun as waging war on NASA or kidnapping Chris Hadfield though. >:(