Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
New MacBook
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
I thought the Apple Watch announcement was a bit of a dud, with the exception of the new MacBook. That is an incredible looking piece of engineering. It is obviously limited on inputs, but that won't hamper me in my normal, daily use. Just need to find a way to justify getting one to "test" from work.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: New MacBook
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
It seems like a useless piece of garbage. What can you do with one port? Just get a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
It seems like a useless piece of garbage. What can you do with one port? Just get a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro.

You can do everything you need, I imagine. I've got a Retina Pro, an 11" Air, and a 13" air. This one is thinner and lighter than all of them, which matters to me.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »

You can do everything you need, I imagine.

Just not at the same time. For example, what if I want to hook it up to a TV and have it charging at the same time? Or connect my wireless keyboard/mouse to it, again while it's charging? This laptop is a shitty gimmick, and this is coming from an Apple fanboy.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »

Just not at the same time. For example, what if I want to hook it up to a TV and have it charging at the same time? Or connect my wireless keyboard/mouse to it, again while it's charging? This laptop is a shitty gimmick, and this is coming from an Apple fanboy.

I presume the way Apple wants you to do it, which is with adapters. Like this $79 gem:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

For displays and peripherals, they want you to go wireless where you can anyway. I am not a fan of that limitation, but I do like the idea of a 2 pound MacBook that I can do the majority of my work on.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »
It looks nice but I dunno if a shitty mobile processor is worth $1300

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
The new USB-c port is a shitty gimmick. One of the main selling points is that you can plug things in in the dark. That's called a gimmick.

Then Apple wants you to buy one of their overpriced USB adapters if you want to do something simple like plug a damn mouse in and charge the laptop at the same time. The one they are pushing is going for $79. Maybe they're banking on everything going wireless in the future, but even then Apple probably knows damn well that anyone serious about computers prefers wired-in over wireless. And I think we all know what they're really banking on: making that money. This becomes real apparent once you realize that Apple wants you to pay close to $1000 for something that only has one usb port and about the same functionality as a 2001 ThinkPad with Ubuntu 2 installed on it. I guess this isn't surprising since their demographic has obviously not changed since 1976.

But, in conclusion: it's working! You guys are still buying their terrible overpriced super-suave tech gear thinking it's the hottest shit in the world when really you're willingly letting highway robbers steal and rape your loved ones.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:29:39 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »

I presume the way Apple wants you to do it, which is with adapters. Like this $79 gem:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

For displays and peripherals, they want you to go wireless where you can anyway. I am not a fan of that limitation, but I do like the idea of a 2 pound MacBook that I can do the majority of my work on.

I want a laptop to accommodate me, not the other way around.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:08:57 PM »
about the same functionality as a 2001 ThinkPad with Ubuntu 2 installed on it.
Rhetoric and hyperbole won't result in you being taken seriously, which is unfortunate as you do have some valid points.

But, in conclusion: it's working! You guys are still buying their terrible overpriced super-suave tech gear thinking it's the hottest shit in the world when really you're willingly letting highway robbers steal and rape your loved ones.
I haven't bought any of their laptops. I would never spend that much of my own money on any laptop. But, again with the hyperbole. No one forces anyone to buy anything. If a product meets a person's needs, then he or she will spend however much he or she is willing to. Just because you don't agree doesn't change anything. You think something else is better? Great, buy that instead.

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »
about the same functionality as a 2001 ThinkPad with Ubuntu 2 installed on it.
Rhetoric and hyperbole won't result in you being taken seriously, which is unfortunate as you do have some valid points.

You're right. I meant Ubuntu 4.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:56 AM »
Maybe they're banking on everything going wireless in the future...
Welcome to 2015.  Pretty much everything is wireless.

... but even then Apple probably knows damn well that anyone serious about computers prefers wired-in over wireless.
Anyone serious about computers would be looking at the MacBook Pro instead of the MacBook.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:56:45 AM »

Not if I have something to say about it.

I would, however, pay a lot of money for one of these.

This was the first computer I ever owned.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:01:05 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 05:45:50 AM »
Use PCs you fucking faggots.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »
Use PCs you fucking faggots.

I have a custom PC as well, but that doesn't mean I can't also be an Apple fanboy. Now stay in Complete Nonsense; the only suitable board for anything you have ever posted.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
WOAH! MUSCLE!
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Is this the gold one? Does it come in any other colours?

I'd be so embarrassed to pull that out in a meeting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:45:58 AM by Dr David Thork »

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »
Not if I have something to say about it.
My guess is that you won't.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »

You have no problem opening your mouth in a meeting, and the metal in there is a lot more grotesque....

But, yes, they are available in different colors.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 01:41:45 AM »

You have no problem opening your mouth in a meeting, and the metal in there is a lot more grotesque....

Just got this. Good laugh.