Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Watch_Dogs
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
Anyone else getting this?

I'm getting it on PC but this video does a good job of explaining the game. If you want a quick summary, it's closest to a Grand Theft Auto with push-button hacking mixed in. i.e. you can force traffic lights to turn green, trains to stop, doors and barriers open/close. That sounds rather boring straight out but mixed into the game it looks like it changes a lot of your tactics.

Saddam Hussein

Re: Watch_Dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:08:30 PM »
Oh boy, another GTA clone.

This thread is now about how the game is shit.

Ghost of V

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
I'm aware of it, but I don't plan on getting it. I feel like it's being over hyped, but that's the case with most Ubisoft games.

The premise sounds interesting enough, and I might pick it up for the Wii U (when the price drops considerably) if that version ever comes out (I'm not holding my breath).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:07:51 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
Looks like an okay game with some special mechanics that will soon lose their novelty.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »
It looks sensible enough, but I doubt it can keep its hype up on the mechanics alone. Either it'll have a decent storyline or it'll die a quiet death.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
Either it'll have a decent storyline or it'll die a quiet death.

Who plays these kinds of games for their story?

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »
Either it'll have a decent storyline or it'll die a quiet death.

No one. The only thing that will save this game for me is if it's fun... I play GTA to kill people and listen to music while I drive my car over ramps into other cars, blow things up, hit women in the face with my backhand, and snipe hardworking citizens from the top of malls while I fend off helicopters with my extremely unrealistic stock of RPG-7 ammo. I find the story in all GTA games to be detestable, especially GTA V's. None of the characters are likable and the plot is always worthless, as if it's written by a room full of chimpanzees. If I want a good story I'd play an RPG or MGS, not a sandbox game where hitting the curb with your vehicle the wrong way makes you fly into a glitch zone forever.

There's already so much hype for this game that people are going to buy it regardless of whether it's good or not. Ubisoft has been milking the hype-machine online for Watch Dogs for awhile now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:51:13 PM by Vauxhall »

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
No one. The only thing that will save this game for me is if it's fun... I play GTA to kill people and listen to music while I drive my car over ramps into other cars, blow things up, hit women in the face with my backhand, and snipe hardworking citizens from the top of malls while I fend off helicopters with my extremely unrealistic stock of RPG-7 ammo. I find the story in all GTA games to be detestable, especially GTA V's. None of the characters are likable and the plot is always worthless, as if it's written by a room full of chimpanzees.

There's already so much hype for this game that people are going to buy it regardless of whether it's good or not. Ubisoft has been milking the hype-machine online for Watch Dogs for awhile now.

There is no GTA V for PC, so that is pretty much why this game is already sold for me. If the story is better than GTA, that'll be a plus, but that isn't remotely why I'm excited for this game. I'm excited because I've waited for GTA for so long that I'll gladly buy a game that looks better and has better play mechanics. There is no parkour, slow-motion, or environmental interaction in GTA games, so given a choice at this point if Watch_Dogs does what the video says it does, then hell, if GTA V does come out for PC, I probably wouldn't get it, given I would already have Watch_Dogs.

Ghost of V

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
There is no parkour, slow-motion, or environmental interaction in GTA games.

Careful what you wish for. GTA V has slow-motion, it's not very well implemented but it's not terrible.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 08:00:05 PM »
Careful what you wish for. GTA V has slow-motion, it's not very well implemented but it's not terrible.

GTA V could have everything Watch_Dogs has and more, but I still wouldn't buy it if it wasn't coming to PC. After buying a gaming computer, I have adamantly refused to buy any game that will only be played by myself for a console.

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »

GTA V could have everything Watch_Dogs has and more, but I still wouldn't buy it if it wasn't coming to PC. After buying a gaming computer, I have adamantly refused to buy any game that will only be played by myself for a console.

I miss the days when I had a decent gaming computer. Damn electrical storm...

I need to get a new one, but I'm too lazy to build one myself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 09:06:01 PM »
Essentially, everyone. It's just that most people don't realise it. If the game's flow doesn't encourage you to make good use of its mechanics, you will not make good use of the mechanics, and the game will flop.

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »
Essentially, everyone. It's just that most people don't realise it. If the game's flow doesn't encourage you to make good use of its mechanics, you will not make good use of the mechanics, and the game will flop.

While this is true in theory, Watch Dogs is a sandbox game that lets you explore to your hearts content without engaging in the story. Therefore, a good story isn't necessarily needed, but it helps. Like I sad in my previous post, GTA games are made the same way... and I only played them to cause chaos, like many others.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »
Please stay on topic.  This thread is about how bad Watch Dogs will be, not how bad GTA or consoles are.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:02:25 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »
WPlease stay on topic.  This thread is about how bad Watch Dogs will be, not how bad GTA or consoles are.

sry

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »

A good story is not necessary for that. It sounds like you're confusing well made game missions with a story. The missions can be amazing but have a lackluster story and vice-versa. If you're saying that a story is necessary for motivation, well I'd venture to say you must not have ever played a GTA game before.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
A good story is not necessary for that. It sounds like you're confusing well made game missions with a story. The missions can be amazing but have a lackluster story and vice-versa. If you're saying that a story is necessary for motivation, well I'd venture to say you must not have ever played a GTA game before.
I wouldn't call it confusing, but yes, we seem to be using different words for the same thing.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »

Apparently they've taken the time to turn this into some sort of terrifying mix of Saints Row silliness and GTA.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 12:20:12 AM »
They've jumped the shark.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »
You can torrent the game now. People are giving the writing pretty high praise.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.