Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding Viruses with Linux as my web browser
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Sandboxie has proven to be exactly what I need.

Is that meant to symbolize overkill or that I've cracked the nut?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
you cracked the nut with a sledgehammer

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »
you cracked the nut with a sledgehammer
Like a Boss!
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
Also, this is for my personal PC, not work which everyone but you seems to have understood.

I see. Because I read
Y'all can laugh, but when someone visits a guitar site on a filtered school network(so no naughty vags) and get's HIS WHOLE GOD DAMN PROFILE ENCRYPTED, I get worried.

I haven't had a virus in ages either.  Doesn't mean I'm inclined to get one.

Do the kids from the school you work at come round to your house to use your personal computer then? You might want to be a little bit careful about that.

Or are you just trying to tell me that because a child allegedly got a virus on a school machine by doing something innocuous, you are filled with paranoia about viruses and willing to go to any length to avoid this same terrible fate happening to you. You know Michael Douglas got throat cancer from oral sex? You should probably avoid vaginas too.

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
You should probably avoid vaginas too.

I've never seen one but I've only heard bad things.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
Also, this is for my personal PC, not work which everyone but you seems to have understood.

I see. Because I read
Y'all can laugh, but when someone visits a guitar site on a filtered school network(so no naughty vags) and get's HIS WHOLE GOD DAMN PROFILE ENCRYPTED, I get worried.

I haven't had a virus in ages either.  Doesn't mean I'm inclined to get one.

Do the kids from the school you work at come round to your house to use your personal computer then? You might want to be a little bit careful about that.

Or are you just trying to tell me that because a child allegedly got a virus on a school machine by doing something innocuous, you are filled with paranoia about viruses and willing to go to any length to avoid this same terrible fate happening to you. You know Michael Douglas got throat cancer from oral sex? You should probably avoid vaginas too.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize my methods of protection were out of paranoia.  I guess those backups are just paranoia too right?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 06:10:19 AM »
I think both of you have a point here. Sure, it is a bit of a paranoid thing to do, but it comes with essentially no disadvantages, so what's wrong with a bit of paranoia?

Also, Thork, weren't you the guy that steered away from Google services when the media highlighted their privacy policy, despite the fact that no major changes were made to the policy? Wouldn't that count as paranoid either? Again, I'm not trying to criticise the move itself, I'm just saying that there ain't nothing wrong with this kind of stuff, so long as it's kept in moderation.

IMHO, there is no such thing as "too secure" - the only question is whether or not the added effort/inconvenience from your security measures would bother you enough to reconsider.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
Well it seems it's even easier than I thought...

http://gizmodo.com/how-the-icloud-hack-holds-ios-devices-hostage-for-ran-1583281606?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I guess apple allows for the locker of a phone to send a message and that's how it appears. 

Take note friends:
If someone get's your apple ID info, they control your phone.
Unless you didn't sign your phone up for "find my phone" then it's safe.  Ironic, no?

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
If someone get's your apple ID info, they control your phone.
Unless you didn't sign your phone up for "find my phone" then it's safe.  Ironic, no?

Well TBH it was always an obvious security risk. And Apple isn't the only one with this kind of app.