Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #4580 on: December 14, 2019, 08:35:16 AM »
Yes, but its not like twitter is universally accepted as "shitpost central".  Hell, even the courts have stated that the president's account is an official government account and is to be taken seriously.  Trump often posts serious things.  If you want to feel like all twitter posts are jokes, thats fine, but the world and twitter disagree.

Twitter, a monolithic entity with one concrete opinion, decided that Twitter must be taken seriously and is not just a platform for whining and memes? I think you're over-analyzing a picture that a campaign manager thought was funny and thought Trump voters would think it's funny, too.
Forgive me for expecting our elected officials to have dignity.  What's next, poop jokes?

What you should be annoyed with is that despite the Hong Kong protesters receiving the most votes in the Person of the Year poll, Greta got it anyway because Time didn't want to upset China.
Can't blame them for wanting to not fan the flames even more on that one.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: December 14, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
Forgive me for expecting our elected officials to have dignity.  What's next, poop jokes?

"Twitter should be a no-fun zone, no fun is allowed here, I only want robots to be politicians." -Lord "Buzzkiller" Dave

China is currently genociding millions of its own people and attacking a neighboring democracy. However, let's leave them alone, because attacking them is hard. Instead, let's just put this 16 yr old, who happens to be the daughter of a rich actress, on the front page. Surely that is the most effective course of action here.

Greta is the face of an ever dumber group of people who do nothing but complain about a situation when they understand neither the problem nor the solution.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: December 14, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »
The real issue to me is less the dumb picture and more Trump's endless vanity and apparent belief that he should be Person of the Year every year. It's nothing new, just another reminder of his dismal character. I agree that the Hong Kong protesters would have been a better choice than Greta, but she's not a bad pick. Whatever opinion you or I may have on her is irrelevant to the enormous impact she's undeniably had.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 14, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »

"Twitter should be a no-fun zone, no fun is allowed here, I only want robots to be politicians." -Lord "Buzzkiller" Dave
I'm sorry, at what point did I say all of twitter needed to be no fun zone?  Also, when did I say all poloticians can't have fun?  You can have dignified fun.  I realize thats a foreign concept to you, but its true.

China is currently genociding millions of its own people and attacking a neighboring democracy. However, let's leave them alone, because attacking them is hard. Instead, let's just put this 16 yr old, who happens to be the daughter of a rich actress, on the front page. Surely that is the most effective course of action here.

Greta is the face of an ever dumber group of people who do nothing but complain about a situation when they understand neither the problem nor the solution.

Lovely, putting words in my mouth.  Let me clarify:
I am not worried about TIME magazine pissing China off and causing them to retaliate against America.  I'm worried they'll see the article and decide to escalate and bring Hong Kong back into full control of Mainland China, killing all who stand in their way, not just protesters.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 14, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
I am not worried about TIME magazine pissing China off and causing them to retaliate against America.  I'm worried they'll see the article and decide to escalate and bring Hong Kong back into full control of Mainland China, killing all who stand in their way, not just protesters.

Ah, the classic "a magazine brought attention to bad things we're doing so we'll choose the objectively worst option to deal with this" approach to governing. It happens all the time, on whatever world Dave lives on, one I assume is very far away from mine.

I'm sorry, at what point did I say all of twitter needed to be no fun zone?  Also, when did I say all poloticians can't have fun?  You can have dignified fun.  I realize thats a foreign concept to you, but its true.

And now we've reached a point where you're making lines in the sand about what is and isn't fun, then getting angry that some people are having fun with things you think shouldn't be fun. "Entertainment is only what I say it is" - Lord "Supreme Cultural Dictator" Dave
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:36:54 PM by Rushy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 14, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »

Ah, the classic "a magazine brought attention to bad things we're doing so we'll choose the objectively worst option to deal with this" approach to governing. It happens all the time, on whatever world Dave lives on, one I assume is very far away from mine.
l
As opposed to 'On no, our people are protesting, lets deal with it in the worst possible way: kill them'.
Seriously, do you really think China thinks brining all of HK back under its full control with violence is a bad idea to them?

And now we've reached a point where you're making lines in the sand about what is and isn't fun, then getting angry that some people are having fun with things you think shouldn't be fun. "Entertainment is only what I say it is" - Lord "Supreme Cultural Dictator" Dave

*Sigh* If you wanna have fun shitposting, go ahead.  I don't give a damn.  If you become an elected official or someone with actual influence instead of an unkown little shitposter on twitter, then I'll care.

Just curious, what did you find funny about it?  And why do you think they were making a joke?  Because I didn't get any impression from the tweet that it was meant to be funny.

Like, if he posted something about hanging democrats, would that be funny too?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »
As opposed to 'On no, our people are protesting, lets deal with it in the worst possible way: kill them'.
Seriously, do you really think China thinks brining all of HK back under its full control with violence is a bad idea to them?

I don't think they're opposed to it, no, but I also don't think a magazine cover is what can push an entire country over the edge. If China thought it could get away with it, they would have already done it. And now that media is afraid to bring it up as often, they'll probably end up doing it anyway.

*Sigh* If you wanna have fun shitposting, go ahead.  I don't give a damn.  If you become an elected official or someone with actual influence instead of an unkown little shitposter on twitter, then I'll care.

Just curious, what did you find funny about it?  And why do you think they were making a joke?  Because I didn't get any impression from the tweet that it was meant to be funny.

It's literally Trump's head photoshopped onto Greta, why is that not even mildly funny to you? If anything, I now find it funny that you find this meme so puzzling.

"You know what's like headswapping people on magazine covers? MURDERING PEOPLE!" - Lord "I don't read my posts before posting them" Dave

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 14, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »

It's literally Trump's head photoshopped onto Greta, why is that not even mildly funny to you? If anything, I now find it funny that you find this meme so puzzling.
Why would it be?  Do oddly matching photoshops tickle your funny bone?  Not that I'm judging, just asking.

"You know what's like headswapping people on magazine covers? MURDERING PEOPLE!" - Lord "I don't read my posts before posting them" Dave
Never said murdering, just said Trump shitposting headswaps onto murder victims.  Cause, I mean, not like his campaign has ever tweeted a meme showing him murdering his political rivals.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 14, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »
Why would it be?  Do oddly matching photoshops tickle your funny bone?  Not that I'm judging, just asking.

It looks funny to me and apparently many other people. If you're looking for some advanced commentary on humor, this is a FES forum, not a psychology institute.

Never said murdering, just said Trump shitposting headswaps onto murder victims.  Cause, I mean, not like his campaign has ever tweeted a meme showing him murdering his political rivals.

So you're saying you want legal hangings of Democrats, then?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 15, 2019, 04:03:35 AM »

It looks funny to me and apparently many other people. If you're looking for some advanced commentary on humor, this is a FES forum, not a psychology institute.
I fear for our culture.  Maybe this is what getting old is like....

Nah.  Hanging was banned by the supreme court as it violated the cruel part of punishment. 
Now, I am a man who believes in making people who do unforgivable crimes suffer as long as possible.  It appeals to my sense of vengence.  But on the flip side, housing prisoners for decades is expensive.

So I'd probably go with carbon monoxide poisoning or lethal injection.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: December 15, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »

"Our?" You don't even live in America. Also, you're being a cultural gatekeeper again.

Now, I am a man who believes in making people who do unforgivable crimes suffer as long as possible.

Why does this not surprise me?

It appeals to my sense of vengence.  But on the flip side, housing prisoners for decades is expensive.

Vengeance for what? Photoshops you disapprove of? What even is this conversation, anymore?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: December 15, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »

"Our?" You don't even live in America. Also, you're being a cultural gatekeeper again.

Now, I am a man who believes in making people who do unforgivable crimes suffer as long as possible.

Why does this not surprise me?

It appeals to my sense of vengence.  But on the flip side, housing prisoners for decades is expensive.

Vengeance for what? Photoshops you disapprove of? What even is this conversation, anymore?

I'm answering this question, dingus.

Would you prefer the answer in meme form then?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: December 15, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

So here's a basic timeline of what happened: I say the picture is funny, then you say something akin to "so you think photoshopping heads onto other people's bodies is funny, huh? Well, do you think killing people is funny too? I bet you do, punk"

And then you went into some mini-rant about your own ideas of justice. I think it's fair to say I already received your answer in meme form, because you are a meme.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: December 15, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »

So here's a basic timeline of what happened: I say the picture is funny, then you say something akin to "so you think photoshopping heads onto other people's bodies is funny, huh? Well, do you think photshopping killing people is funny too? I bet you do, punk"

And then you went into some mini-rant about your own ideas of justice because I asked if you thought it was ok to hang people. I think it's fair to say I already received your answer in meme form, because you are a meme.
Fixed that for ya.
Either I'm not a meme, or you suck at understanding them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: December 15, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »

So here's a basic timeline of what happened: I say the picture is funny, then you say something akin to "so you think photoshopping heads onto other people's bodies is funny, huh? Well, do you think photshopping killing people is funny too? I bet you do, punk"

And then you went into some mini-rant about your own ideas of justice because I asked if you thought it was ok to hang people. I think it's fair to say I already received your answer in meme form, because you are a meme.
Fixed that for ya.

It's not healthy or normal to immediately jump from headswaps to hanging people, Dave. Further, I never asked you if you thought it was okay to hang people. I say you're a meme because I don't think anyone genuinely acts or writes like you, or at least I'd like to think no one does.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: December 15, 2019, 10:17:15 PM »

Fixed that for ya.

It's not healthy or normal to immediately jump from headswaps to hanging people, Dave.
Its not normal or healthy to think a seriously done headswap of the US present onto a girl's body, by the president's own campaign, is funny but here we are.

Further, I never asked you if you thought it was okay to hang people.
Then what.  The fuck.  Does this mean?
Those are YOUR words.

I say you're a meme because I don't think anyone genuinely acts or writes like you, or at least I'd like to think no one does.
You have a very odd definition of a meme.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: December 16, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »
Its not normal or healthy to think a seriously done headswap of the US present onto a girl's body, by the president's own campaign, is funny but here we are.

Again, headswapping is not analogous to killing people on any level. Get your head out of your ass.

Those are YOUR words.

And? Where in that sentence do I ask you if hanging people is okay? I don't even understand why you brought up hanging people in the first place.

You're the kind of person that thinks the word "meme" only applies to pictures, aren't you? I invite you to google the definition of meme.

totallackey

« Reply #4597 on: December 16, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »

i.e., "I am the sole arbiter and definer of what constitutes fun and dignity. You will all be better off when you accept this as fact."

China is going to mothball their economic hopes?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: December 16, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »

Again, headswapping is not analogous to killing people on any level. Get your head out of your ass.
Funny, I didn't know I said that.  I was just seeing if your humor extended to any headswap, or if you had a limit.  So far, I'm seeing a limit on perception, not humor.

Those are YOUR words.

And? Where in that sentence do I ask you if hanging people is okay? I don't even understand why you brought up hanging people in the first place.
To ask if headswapping public figures onto murder victims was just as funny to you as more innocent ones.

You're the kind of person that thinks the word "meme" only applies to pictures, aren't you? I invite you to google the definition of meme.
Actually I was more thinking due to my lack of popularity and long winded nature in replies.  But sure, feel free to think my knowledge of memes is that limited.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: December 17, 2019, 07:39:47 AM »
Dave, take a deep breath.

The only thing intended by the head-swap was to slap Trump's head on TIME's POTY cover. If I was POTY this year (oh well, maybe next time), it would be my head that's getting swapped. The narrative is that Trump is the world's true MVP and that his promises were good and how he totaly kept those promises was also good. It's a shit take, but that's all there is to that very important and politically significant shitpost.

Nobody, other than you, is getting excited about Greta being a 16 year old girl, and you should seriously think about why that is.

What's next, poop jokes?
Oh no, American politicians might start making POOP JOKES!!!

https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-huckabee-makes-poop-joke-about-obama-2015-6

Dude, you're from a country where one of the biggest political scandals was a guy getting his dick sucked. Your expectations are completely disjointed from reality.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:47:17 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume