Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Then Nintendo DS
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
What was Virtual Boy?

Ghost of V

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
You forgot the Virtual Boy.

I wouldn't consider the Virtual Boy a handheld.

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
What was Virtual Boy?

It's better if you don't know.

I wouldn't consider the Virtual Boy a handheld.

But they had a head attachment so you didn't have to use the stand.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »
I'll go look online, but I'm almost afraid to ask.

Ghost of V

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
I'll go look online, but I'm almost afraid to ask.

It was a huge Nintendo flop console with a 3D gimmick. It was released in 1995, and discontinued in 1996. You wore this clunky looking headpiece and had to use a controller to play. There are only a handful of games for the console, and all the games had a red tint to them (presumably for the 3D effect).

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
Yeah, I just read about it on Wikipedia. What a sack of crap! Who would want to actually play that thing!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »
I often wondered why, when Nintendo made the browser for the DS Phat and the DS Lite, They didn't do more with the Expansion Pak. I mean, the Nintendo itself has 4 megs of RAM. The Pak has 8, increasing the total RAM of the system to 12. Surely Nintendo could have made use of all that RAM in one hand-held to come up with some TOTALLY CHOICE shit, you know.But to the best of my knowledge, at least here Stateside, nothing was ever produced other than the browser that made use of the Pak. They did have other Paks, namely, the Rumbl-Pak, and I think one other. I know the Rumbl-Pak just made the device rattle slightly with certain games to make it feel more real, like the roar of engines, and that kind of thing.

I do know that the Expansion Pak has been utilised by some hombrew stuff, but I don't have any computer knowledge to make homebrew shit. If I tried that, I'd probably blow up the DS, along with my balls. So, there you are. But its too bad. Because they could probably still keep selling the device if they has utilised the Expansion Pak more efficiently.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:36:44 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Ghost of V

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
I often wondered why, when Nintendo made the browser for the DS Phat and the DS Lite, They didn't do more with the Expansion Pak. I mean, the Nintendo itself has 4 megs of RAM. The Pak has 8, increasing the total RAM of the system to 12. Surely Nintendo could have made use of all that RAM in one hand-held to come up with some TOTALLY CHOICE shit, you know.But to the best of my knowledge, at least here Stateside, nothing was ever produced other than the browser that made use of the Pak. They did have other Paks, namely, the Rumbl-Pak, and I think one other. I know the Rumbl-Pak just make the device rattle slightly with certain games to make it feel more real, like the roar of engines, and that kind of thing.

I do know that the Expansion Pak has been utilised by some hombrew stuff, but I don't have any computer knowledge to make homebrew shit. If I tried that, I'd probably blow up the DS, along with my balls. So, there you are. But its too bad. Because they could probably still keep selling the device if they has utilised the Expansion Pak more efficiently.

Nintendo seems to be in the habit of throwing out common sense to make more money. Look at the DSi for example, it had about double the RAM of the original DS. You'd think they'd take advantage of that, but no... there are only 4 games for the DSi that take advantage of this increased RAM. One reason could be that developers don't want to spend extra time/money developing for something that doesn't have a large install base. They look at the DSi and think "we could make a game for that... or we could just make a game for the original DS which has a larger install base and make more money".

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
QUOTE: "Nintendo seems to be in the habit of throwing out common sense to make more money. Look at the DSi for example, it had about double the RAM of the original DS. You'd think they'd take advantage of that, but no... there are only 4 games for the DSi that take advantage of this increased RAM. One reason could be that developers don't want to spend extra time/money developing for something that doesn't have a large install base. They look at the DSi and think "we could make a game for that... or we could just make a game for the original DS which has a larger install base and make more money"."

That really is too bad. Because they could have had some choice stuff on the DS itself. I don't know that they could have gone 3D with it (I don't know enough about computer type stuff), but they could damn sure have improved on their offerings in 2D! And would have more then recouped their spending just on the oodles of money they'd have made with this kind of thing. I mean, hell, they'd have been rich beyond the dreams of avarice. They should have thought this one through better. I mean, most gamers are not poor like me. They are largely either kids from middle class family with disposable income, or young adults that are upwardly mobile.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
all the games had a red tint to them

Wasn't the reason that the Virtualboy was searing the players' eyeballs with low-yield lasers? That's how they could target the image precisely into each eye to create the 3D image?

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
No, it was red, for a similar reason to why the original game boy was green. The virtual boy had 2 screens.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
I was reading that the current 3DS has 16 megs of RAM in it. So, the DS itself with the Expansion Pak had 12. Damn, they could have  had a field day with that, though it would have been in a 2D environment.

So, are any of you into homebrew type stuff? I have two DS systems, one of which is in mint condition, that I actually use for gameplay, that I wouldn't want to fuck up, but the other of which is older (and the shoulder buttons are, shall we say, fuckety [meaning they don't work well]), and I would be happy to mod it, mess with it, homebrew it, etc, as long as I could do it with a reasonable chance of NOT blowing it, and my balls, up.

So, any ideas? What exactly do people DO with homebrew? What programs do they make to run on the DS, and why? Forgive me for my immense amount of ignorance, but I am genuinely curious on this matter. I have wanted to play around with the one DS since I bought the thing, but I've never had the opportunity or the knowledge to do so safely. So, help me out here, guys and girls.

Ghost of V

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
I have never homebrewed a DS. I have tinkered with the PSP, and from my experience it's much easier to unlock/homebrew/whatever the PSP. People usually do this kind of thing when they want to pirate games for the system, or run emulators. There are also some other functions, like: improved web access, media players, etc. There might even be a hack to make it so that the DS can connect to other wireless networks that do not have WEP security (which I imagine would be very helpful to you). From my understanding it is easier to homebrew a DSi over a DS, because the DSi has SD card support which makes it easier to run homebrew programs. If you're using the original fat-DS or the DSLite then you'll probably have to purchase something called a 'flash cart'. A flash cart is essentially an empty DS game cartridge that you can put files on through your computer.

Here's a guide if you're interested. It explains the basics of hacking most types of DS, not including the 3DS.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:49:14 PM by Vauxhall »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
Thank you, VAUXHALL!