Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Ironic
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »

It's ironic to me that anyone would try to cover up a flat earth.   If the earth was flat, under a dome, with the sun, moon and all the stars under that as well, it would be infinitely more interesting than the accepted reality.  Scientists would be flocking to study the dome, find out what it's made of, find out what's beyond the ice wall, try to reach the moon etc.   Scientists have died in the cause of learning for centuries.  People were killed for cutting up bodies and IIRC also killed for suggesting the earth was round.  Madame Curie died from radiation.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ironic
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »

It's ironic to me that anyone would try to cover up a flat earth.   If the earth was flat, under a dome, with the sun, moon and all the stars under that as well, it would be infinitely more interesting than the accepted reality.  Scientists would be flocking to study the dome, find out what it's made of, find out what's beyond the ice wall, try to reach the moon etc.   Scientists have died in the cause of learning for centuries.  People were killed for cutting up bodies and IIRC also killed for suggesting the earth was round.  Madame Curie died from radiation.

You don't know what the word ironic means, do you? You sure seem to know what a non-sequitur is, though. Well, maybe you don't, but you sure continue to post them.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:46:22 AM »

You don't know what the word ironic means, do you? You sure seem to know what a non-sequitur is, though. Well, maybe you don't, but you sure continue to post them.

My statement was quite logical.   How about instead of insults you engage in debate?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:36:13 AM »
Nobody is willfully trying to cover up the fact that the earth is flat. The conspirators most likely don't know that the earth is flat, and are simply portraying it as such in their faked data/pictures because that's what they expect it to be.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:00:04 AM »
Nobody is willfully trying to cover up the fact that the earth is flat. The conspirators most likely don't know that the earth is flat, and are simply portraying it as such in their faked data/pictures because that's what they expect it to be.

So you are saying they fake pictures to make it seem like it's what they believe?  That perfectly defines what you are doing here.  Making up "facts" to support an argument that is flawed in every way you can look at it.   Geometry does not lie.  Math does not lie.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:22 AM »
So you are saying they fake pictures to make it seem like it's what they believe?

I don't understand how you could have possibly interpreted this from what I said.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
So you are saying they fake pictures to make it seem like it's what they believe?

I don't understand how you could have possibly interpreted this from what I said.

I don't see how it would be possible to get any other meaning from this sentence.  "The conspirators most likely don't know that the earth is flat, and are simply portraying it as such in their faked data/pictures because that's what they expect it to be."

1. Conspirators: Self-explanatory
2. portraying it as such in their faked data/pictures:  They fake pictures/data
3. because that's what they expect it to be: because it's what they believe

Pure logic.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 03:31:27 PM »
I agree with TomInAustin.  If you meant something different, please tell us how that was supposed to be understood.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
I agree with TomInAustin.  If you meant something different, please tell us how that was supposed to be understood.

Honk never said they fake pictures to make it seem like it's what they believe. They have their pictures portray a round Earth because it's what they expect to be the Earth's shape (in other words because it's what they do believe, not "to make it seem" like it's what they believe). They fake pictures to make it appear they've been in space. I hope that makes it clearer.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »

Honk never said they fake pictures to make it seem like it's what they believe. They have their pictures portray a round Earth because it's what they expect to be the Earth's shape (in other words because it's what they do believe, not "to make it seem" like it's what they believe). They fake pictures to make it appear they've been in space. I hope that makes it clearer.

He said it's what "they expect it to be"

ex·pect
ikˈspekt/Submit
verb
regard (something) as likely to happen.
"we expect the best"
synonyms:   anticipate, await, look for, hope for, look forward to; More
regard (someone) as likely to do or be something.
"they were not expecting him to continue"
synonyms:   suppose, presume, think, believe, imagine, assume, surmise; More
believe that (someone or something) will arrive soon.
"Celia was expecting a visitor"

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
"They" meaning the conspirators, not the public. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
"They" meaning the conspirators, not the public. Sorry I wasn't clear.

So was I.

Progress.  Good.  Now let's keep going.

You said "Nobody is willfully trying to cover up the fact that the earth is flat. The conspirators most likely don't know that the earth is flat, and are simply portraying it as such in their faked data/pictures because that's what they expect it to be."

1.  If they don't know, how are they conspirators?  That makes no sense.  Is it like Mormons trying to find evidence of their non-existent civilization in the new world?  They didn't ty to fake it though.  Not in mass.  Plenty of example of the catholic church faking artifacts though... is it like that?
2.  Again, how would they gain by faking data or pictures?  Why wouldn't people just say "Hey look, we were wrong, let's go see this dome, close moon, dark disk, explore beyond the wall etc"?   

As my OP stated, a flat dome covered earth it is infinitely more interesting to science than a universe filled with orbiting objects comprised mainly of hydrogen,  oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon. 

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »

Thank you, that cleared it up.  I see how I misunderstood it.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice