Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
PLASMA MOON SCIENTIST 1965
« on: November 15, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »
Has anyone seen the ABC interview from 1965 with the mysterious scientist going by the name Professor R Foster,
in the interview he claims the Moon is not solid but Plasma. He claims any attempts at a moon landing will not possible, he seems quite confident about that. No information seemingly exists regarding his full name or what institution he worked for. Alot of Flat earthers are suggesting data on him and his works were deliberately diacarded, and that he is untraceable because of it.

Here is the interview:

I don't, personally, sense the man in the video to be some nutjob, and the interview is too serious to be a gag. Regarding information on him, i was able to find a 2002 publication of the Royal Society of Edinburgh which registers a fellow of RSE by the title "Professor R Foster", a donation was made in this name. Presuming it is the same Foster; a donation was made by him, or posthumously in his name. Im going to try and see if the R. Foster Fellow from RSE's area of research corroborates with the R. Foster in the videos claims of the composition of the moon, to get a clearer idea of the identity of the professor Foster from RSE and why he has an obscure digital footprint as an academic. Most universities have since already digitized old publications. Im guessing this mystery man died sometime at the turn of the century, and this clue is enough (if there is no grand conspiracy) to give us a name and address, names of colleagues, institutions he worked for, and more importantly possibly access to an archive of his publications on why he believed landing on the moon to be "impossible" and that "it will never happen" (most likely hard copies if any survived).

RSE publication PDF (expires 1 week): [url]https://filebin.net/7dm93f2xjzgq8y2f[url]

(I have since found more concrete info on him)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:10:37 PM by Analyst_Thawra »
Columbo

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
Re: PLASMA MOON SCIENTIST
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:22 AM »
You can check his name out on Page 10, Heading "Fundraising", 4th line from the bootom (left half).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:31:39 AM by Analyst_Thawra »
Columbo

VegaTheNASAkiller

Re: PLASMA MOON SCIENTIST 1965
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 05:39:35 AM »
Good info for those round earthers to see...

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
Um. The guy in that 1965 video wouldn't be a day under 50 years old, so by 2002 he would be 97 or older. I don't think the guy mentioned as a Royal Society Edinburgh donor is likely to be the same person, especially since the thickly-accented Tasmanian (allegedly) gentleman in the video is really difficult to find traces of apart from the video and there are a number of real Professor R Foster individuals to be found, including professors of Irish history, mathematics, circadian neuroscience, Quaker theology and English. They all have published work, the video guy doesn't appear to have any.

Just a video clip of an "interesting" individual who may or may not have been a professor, but turned out to be wrong. Nothing to see; move along, people
Once again - you assume that the centre of the video is the centre of the camera's frame. We know that this isn't the case.

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:25:08 PM »
Um. The guy in that 1965 video wouldn't be a day under 50 years old, so by 2002 he would be 97 or older. I don't think the guy mentioned as a Royal Society Edinburgh donor is likely to be the same person

We did verify his name is Roy Foster, and he was a Professor of Earth science and Chemistry at the university of Dundee Scotland, he is the only R. Foster from Mitchel and Longman 1983 directory "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" as the head of the Chemistry department at Dundee alongside Professor J. S Brimacombe. They were researching absorbtion spectra in the Ultra Violet, wavemechanical studies, mechanism of oxidation of Gaseous fuels etc he is the only recorded R Foster from RSE with his earliest recorded association with RSE dating to 1926. Its the same person, and im not here to speculate, im looking for hard data on his publications. Saying move on nothing to see is the exact thought terminating praxis that gets one nowhere. When there is clearly something to unpack. Also, alot of people make donations posthumously. What im looking for is his research refrenced in this 1965 interview.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:01:10 PM by Analyst_Thawra »
Columbo

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:29 PM »
It just shows what science does.
You make a claim (without evidence in this case) and then test the claim.
His claim was wrong.
Not sure how this affects anyone's perceptions of a FE or RE.

Thats why i want to see the evidence and the reception of such evidence preceding the Moon landing. I want to see the level of support vs refutations his research recieved. Basically I want to see it for myself. Also as a Flat Earther i am somewhat disheartened, given that the Flat earth theory in mainstream research is ridiculed beyond disproof, to say "that is the nature of science" without even have considered the data, is quite disingenuous. It effects FE-RE dialectics for the reason that aforementioned researcher claims it is impossible to land on the moon given its nature as a non solid object. I can personally infer several reasons why that can disrupt the mainstream narrative concerning the nature of our world.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 11:22:43 PM by Analyst_Thawra »
Columbo

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 01:01:46 AM »
Most excellent!

I am also very interested in learning more about this guy and his research, but sadly I don't think I have anything to contribute.

to say "that is the nature of science" without even have considered the data, is quite disingenuous.

Rejection/discarding without evaluation is the height of ignorance.  This is a common mistake encouraged through the myth of progress - it reminds me of indiana jones "top men, top men".

I hope one of us finds something.  He was a long way from dundee in that interview - if we could figure out what school (and colleagues) he was working with in australia/tasmania, that would seem to be the next step.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:08:46 AM by jack44556677 »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 01:30:45 AM »
Um. The guy in that 1965 video wouldn't be a day under 50 years old, so by 2002 he would be 97 or older. I don't think the guy mentioned as a Royal Society Edinburgh donor is likely to be the same person

We did verify his name is Roy Foster, and he was a Professor of Earth science and Chemistry at the university of Dundee Scotland, he is the only R. Foster from Mitchel and Longman 1983 directory "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" as the head of the Chemistry department at Dundee alongside Professor J. S Brimacombe. They were researching absorbtion spectra in the Ultra Violet, wavemechanical studies, mechanism of oxidation of Gaseous fuels etc he is the only recorded R Foster from RSE with his earliest recorded association with RSE dating to 1926. Its the same person, and im not here to speculate, im looking for hard data on his publications. Saying move on nothing to see is the exact thought terminating praxis that gets one nowhere. When there is clearly something to unpack. Also, alot of people make donations posthumously. What im looking for is his research refrenced in this 1965 interview.

How did you verify that it was Roy Foster, Prof at Dundee and the other references? I've found similar references and some volumes a Roy Foster authored regarding molecular study that perhaps match his field and are dated from the early 70's. However, I can't find anything that "verifies" a connection.

Also, I watched the full 9:30 version of the interview, he doesn't really say much over the course of it. Kind of just alludes to things. I would have expected a few bits of evidence out of the longer version, but there's really no there there.

However, an interesting mystery.

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 02:24:41 AM »
How did you verify that it was Roy Foster, Prof at Dundee and the other references? I've found similar references and some volumes a Roy Foster authored regarding molecular study that perhaps match his field and are dated from the early 70's. However, I can't find anything that "verifies" a connection.

Also, I watched the full 9:30 version of the interview, he doesn't really say much over the course of it. Kind of just alludes to things. I would have expected a few bits of evidence out of the longer version, but there's really no there there.

[/quote]

Not explicitly, but by way of inference, there are no other R. Fosters who are professors dealing in any other field, and what are the chances there are professors who share the same name and have a focus on some form of Chemistry. Everything i found on R. Foster suggest he worked at Dundee University, member of RSE, worked with Prof Brimacombe, was head of the Chem department, and his name comes up frequently in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions.

The interview was most likely heald as a result of the 1965 NASA Summer conference on lunar expeditions, whether he was at the conference or not i dont know. But all this information gathered can be simply verified by the University of Dundees records, that is unless they have photo evidence of him or better yet have something very specific related to his statement about the moon not being solid.

If they cant ascribe the name to the face, or provide relevant papers. The only route would be to find someone who can identify him, maybe family, former students etc. But i am totally certain it is him, and if i were a betting man i'd put all my money on it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 02:31:39 AM by Analyst_Thawra »
Columbo

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 02:52:54 AM »

Not explicitly, but by way of inference, there are no other R. Fosters who are professors dealing in any other field, and what are the chances there are professors who share the same name and have a focus on some form of Chemistry. Everything i found on R. Foster suggest he worked at Dundee University, member of RSE, worked with Prof Brimacombe, was head of the Chem department, and his name comes up frequently in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions.

The interview was most likely heald as a result of the 1965 NASA Summer conference on lunar expeditions, whether he was at the conference or not i dont know. But all this information gathered can be simply verified by the University of Dundees records, that is unless they have photo evidence of him or better yet have something very specific related to his statement about the moon not being solid.

If they cant ascribe the name to the face, or provide relevant papers. The only route would be to find someone who can identify him, maybe family, former students etc. But i am totally certain it is him, and if i were a betting man i'd put all my money on it.

Are you sure about this reference: he is the only R. Foster from Mitchel and Longman 1983 directory "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" as the head of the Chemistry department at Dundee alongside Professor J. S Brimacombe."?

As the only references I find with a Foster and J. S Brimacombe is regarding authors listed as: John S. Brimacombe, Allan Mark Bloomfield Foster

Often referenced as J.S. Brimacombe & A.B. Foster. And in a few instances I've seen: Authors: "J. S. Brimacombe, A. B. Foster, R. Hems, J. H. Westwood, and L. D. Hall"

Notice how an 'R' appears after 'Foster'. It's the 'R' from the author "R. Hems", not from Foster.

So I believe your J.S. Brimacombe/R. Foster connection is incorrect.

As for, "...and his name comes up frequently in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions." I can find no relevant references on this. Do you have any specifics?

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 07:06:07 AM »

That’s more info than we first had to go on, good digging, but you’ll need more to identify the video guy. How do you know his actual name? It’s not given in the video. What is the actual Professor Foster’s background? Was he Scottish or UK born? The video guy’s accent is continental, not British, and certainly not Dundonian. I’m not trying to ridicule you, just pointing out the identifying of the “professor” is far from complete yet.
Once again - you assume that the centre of the video is the centre of the camera's frame. We know that this isn't the case.

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:27 PM »

Are you sure about this reference: he is the only R. Foster from Mitchel and Longman 1983 directory "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" as the head of the Chemistry department at Dundee alongside Professor J. S Brimacombe."?

As the only references I find with a Foster and J. S Brimacombe is regarding authors listed as: John S. Brimacombe, Allan Mark Bloomfield Foster

Often referenced as J.S. Brimacombe & A.B. Foster. And in a few instances I've seen: Authors: "J. S. Brimacombe, A. B. Foster, R. Hems, J. H. Westwood, and L. D. Hall"

Notice how an 'R' appears after 'Foster'. It's the 'R' from the author "R. Hems", not from Foster.

As for, "...and his name comes up frequently in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions." I can find no relevant references on this. Do you have any specifics?

I would be happy to clarify, the books name is verbatim "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" authored by "Eric Mitchell, Elizabeth Lines
Longman, 1983" there are 654 pages, and you will find both Brimacombe and R. Foster on page 527 under heading Chemistry Department, in section 644. Just so we are on the same page here is the link to the book, you can use the Search bar to look for kew words inside the book: https://books.google.co.ke/books?id=y5JgAAAAMAAJ&dq=longman+"professor+r.+foster"+1983&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=longman+"professor+r.+foster"+1983

As for what I meant by his name coming up in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions, I meant that only one person with special interest in chemistry comes up in the references dating to that era of lunar exploration 1969-1972 (as im only getting references from one R. Foster from 1971-1972 whith an interest in Chemistry.
Columbo

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »

That’s more info than we first had to go on, good digging, but you’ll need more to identify the video guy. How do you know his actual name? It’s not given in the video. What is the actual Professor Foster’s background? Was he Scottish or UK born? The video guy’s accent is continental, not British, and certainly not Dundonian. I’m not trying to ridicule you, just pointing out the identifying of the “professor” is far from complete yet.

His name is given in the ABC reports description box underneath the Video. The reporter, he is described as R. Foster, and Professor. ABC was not able to identify him (did not bother) based on the vague note with his name and the press that interviewed him 'People- int', he is also described as being "Tasmanian", his accent may be a product of working abroad, I had a professor in University who was from New Zealand but his accent was really unusual unlike anything i heard before, probably because of living and working in the UK for a significant period of time.
Columbo

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
The video guy’s accent is continental, not British, and certainly not Dundonian.
His accent is the accent of every slightly richer English speaker of the 1960s. You'd rarely expect anything else.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:26:51 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »

I would be happy to clarify, the books name is verbatim "Materials Research Centres: A World Directory of Organizations and Programmes in Materials Science" authored by "Eric Mitchell, Elizabeth Lines
Longman, 1983" there are 654 pages, and you will find both Brimacombe and R. Foster on page 527 under heading Chemistry Department, in section 644. Just so we are on the same page here is the link to the book, you can use the Search bar to look for kew words inside the book: https://books.google.co.ke/books?id=y5JgAAAAMAAJ&dq=longman+"professor+r.+foster"+1983&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=longman+"professor+r.+foster"+1983

As for what I meant by his name coming up in the backdrop of the lunar expeditions, I meant that only one person with special interest in chemistry comes up in the references dating to that era of lunar exploration 1969-1972 (as im only getting references from one R. Foster from 1971-1972 whith an interest in Chemistry.

Awww, good, this is helpful. Yes, an R.Foster appears next to Brimacombe as Heads in the Chemistry Dept.

I'd be careful though with just the interest in chemistry. I just re-watched the full 9:30 minute version of the interview. He spends an equal amount of time on "Time reversal invariance" for instance, as he does on the gaseous plasma moon theory. Also he has some stuff in there about how periodically earth's axis completely tips over causing a biblical "Great Flood". And further goes on to say that in 50 years time this will happen again. And that mankind should put its scientific minds not into hydrogen bombs and such but into "floatability", I guess presuming we need to buoy against the flooding of the earth.

I guess I'm not as convinced as you that the video R Foster is the Chemistry Prof. in Scotland. But I'm willing to keep digging.

Offline Analyst_Thawra

• "Just one more thing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »

But I'm willing to keep digging.

Perfectly understandable, the RSE fellow Foster passed away in 2003/11/08. Turns out Brimacombe is still alive, im going to try and contact him see if he can verify if its him.
Columbo

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »

Perfectly understandable, the RSE fellow Foster passed away in 2003/11/08. Turns out Brimacombe is still alive, im going to try and contact him see if he can verify if its him.

Good luck with that. Let us know what you find out.

If you look at it from another perspective, from that of the claims he makes, they are basically bunk. I mean how would a plasma moon have craters? Just that claim alone would lead me to believe that it would be tough to become a fellow at a University if one's assertions without evidence were that easily debunked.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 06:58:32 AM »
If you look at it from another perspective, from that of the claims he makes, they are basically bunk. I mean how would a plasma moon have craters?

And furthermore, these craters and other surface features are unchanged from day to day, year to year and have been recorded in charts for decades as continuing features. A plasma moon would not preserve these features. Jupiter is reckoned to be a gas giant and its features visibly change daily in telescope films of its surface, but the moon only changes how much of its visible surface is lit by the sun in a predictable, repeatable cycle. Plasma, schmasma.

Offline jrm777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 12:41:20 AM »

I'm heartened to find this thread. I also found Prof. Foster's interview intriguing and I was compelled to look for additional information. That brought me here.... I'm now both curious and excited to see if your research has progressed since your last update?