Brits love three ways
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »
Weird title but I gotta get the people in here. Here's the article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31069173

It's important because of this:

Defective mitochondria are passed down only from the mother. They can lead to brain damage, muscle wasting, heart failure and blindness.

The technique uses a modified version of IVF to combine the DNA of the two parents with the healthy mitochondria of a donor woman.

The method, which was developed in Newcastle, should help women like Sharon Bernardi, from Sunderland, who lost all seven of her children to mitochondrial disease.

So, is it weird that this kind of legislature has passed through your government? The conservatives seem to be making a big deal of it.

Thork

Re: Brits love three ways
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:32 PM »
I don't like it. Its Frankenstein medicine. I think the government are opening themselves up to all kinds of legal problems from those children later down the line. I also don't see the point. Its worked well with two animals for millions of years. Why the rush to change it and why with humans? I think its another "Yes, we can do this, but should we?" and instead we've got "Yeah, science, it must be done because its technically possible". Science doesn't have any formulas for ethics, social implications and morality. Try it in china ... why mess with our gene pool?

Rama Set

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »
I don't like it. Its Frankenstein medicine. I think the government are opening themselves up to all kinds of legal problems from those children later down the line. I also don't see the point. Its worked well with two animals for millions of years. Why the rush to change it and why with humans? I think its another "Yes, we can do this, but should we?" and instead we've got "Yeah, science, it must be done because its technically possible". Science doesn't have any formulas for ethics, social implications and morality. Try it in china ... why mess with our gene pool?

Your gene pool was decimated through two world wars. It's waning anyway, so better UK than me.

Anyway, it sounds like there is a lot of rhetoric meant to enrage the neo-cons like Thork.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11383128/Dont-let-science-fall-victim-to-ignorance-on-DNA-transfer-IVF.html

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
I also don't see the point. Its worked well with two animals for millions of years. Why the rush to change it and why with humans? I think its another "Yes, we can do this, but should we?" and instead we've got "Yeah, science, it must be done because its technically possible".

I may regret replying to this, but no, they're not doing this for the hell for it.  They're doing it to help people with genetic problems have healthy children, as the article clearly explains.  Given how important procreation is to you, you ought to be all for this.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 12:53:06 AM »
I don't like it. Its Frankenstein medicine.

You would make a great Republican in America. Possibly have your own talk show.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:45:16 AM »
I don't like it.

I'd say I'm psychic but..

Its Frankenstein medicine. I think the government are opening themselves up to all kinds of legal problems from those children later down the line. I also don't see the point. Its worked well with two animals for millions of years. Why the rush to change it and why with humans? I think its another "Yes, we can do this, but should we?" and instead we've got "Yeah, science, it must be done because its technically possible". Science doesn't have any formulas for ethics, social implications and morality. Try it in china ... why mess with our gene pool?

C'mon Thork, I spent a whole 30 seconds paraphrasing the article in my OP. The least you could do is spend 5 seconds reading it.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »
You would make a great Republican in America. Possibly have your own talk show.
Ron Paul is my favourite politician in the world. If we were electing a world president, I'd vote for him.

C'mon Thork, I spent a whole 30 seconds paraphrasing the article in my OP. The least you could do is spend 5 seconds reading it.
I live in England. I was already fully aware this vote was going to take place weeks ago. I'd already read the article on the BBC about 10 hours before I read your post. I know the 'for arguments' but I don't agree with them. They are just excuses to push on.

I may regret replying to this, but no, they're not doing this for the hell for it.  They're doing it to help people with genetic problems have healthy children, as the article clearly explains.  Given how important procreation is to you, you ought to be all for this.
That's not how life works. Its a battle of the strong versus the weak. If you have genetic issues ... you're not a very well made animal. Yeah, harsh, but nature is. The suffering of a few saves the suffering of the many. You get a healthy species with a few not so healthy individuals who create genetically damaged children. Now we aren't supposed to rear those children to breed themselves. In any other period they would not survive. Its good we can give them a longer life and a better quality of that life, but its not supposed to be so they can have their own families and pass the same affliction on to more people.

So yes, they can now remove certain genes and replace them with someone else's. Where does that stop? Me and my wife both have brown eyes. Can we have a third person's DNA with blue eyes please? Just that bit, oh go on throw in some blond hair too".
This is right now about disease ... but dress it up however you want, it is eugenics by the back door. First serious disease, later mild conditions, later taller, thinner, better looking, smarter. I would extrapolate that companies will patent 3rd party DNA strings that can be artificially created in a lab and you'll be able to build a baby off the shelf by inserting these bits.

You won't have people ... you have 'property of Google' or whoever buys up all the shares.

This is a landmark decision because you can legally create a human being by artificially taking DNA you select out, and inserting your choice of DNA in. Why my stupid country had to be first to the front of the queue for this 'Frankenstein medicine' I don't know.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
I would pay top dollar sterling for a designer baby.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
So Thork is obviously against vaccination, disinfecting and vitamin c.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
Yes, yes and yes.

Vaccination in children can cause autism. Non-pregnant adults, fine. Diseases like measles were wiped out. The problem is open door immigration. People need health screening so they stop bringing these diseases in with them.

Disinfecting ... research shows you need germs to keep your immune system healthy. Kids brought up in very hygienic households are more susceptible to allergies and cold/flus etc.

vitamin C. You get enough from your food. Any more is excreted. Its a waste of time. Massive overloads are actually dangerous to your liver.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:42 PM »
Yes, yes and yes.

Vaccination in children can cause autism.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Non-pregnant adults, fine. Diseases like measles were wiped out.

Only if you keep up vaccination. Toronto just had a flare up as did Los Angeles.

The problem is open door immigration. People need health screening so they stop bringing these diseases in with them.

Hi Thork.

Disinfecting ... research shows you need germs to keep your immune system healthy. Kids brought up in very hygienic households are more susceptible to allergies and cold/flus etc.

But in acute situations it is necessary. Just another tool in the toolbox.

vitamin C. You get enough from your food. Any more is excreted. Its a waste of time. Massive overloads are actually dangerous to your liver.

Once Tom has completed his course of Vitamin C, he is going to fly to England, under his own power, and crush you like a cockroach.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »
>falling for it

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »
>falling for it

not knowing that thank is actually this dumb<
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
>falling for it

It's actually going just as I thought it would.

>falling for it

Dork is not thumb.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
>falling for it

Doesn't mean he isn't falling for it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »
That's not how life works. Its a battle of the strong versus the weak. If you have genetic issues ... you're not a very well made animal. Yeah, harsh, but nature is. The suffering of a few saves the suffering of the many. You get a healthy species with a few not so healthy individuals who create genetically damaged children. Now we aren't supposed to rear those children to breed themselves. In any other period they would not survive. Its good we can give them a longer life and a better quality of that life, but its not supposed to be so they can have their own families and pass the same affliction on to more people.

But they won't pass the same affliction on to more people.  How could they, when their genes are no longer faulty? ???  Also, the impact of natural selection on human populations has been greatly diminished ever since the advent of society, and becomes less and less relevant with every new innovation.  Forget about vaccines, disinfectant, and Vitamin C, we aren't "supposed to" have roads, hospitals, schools, or police either.  Taking this appeal to nature to its logical conclusion would have us all still living in the wild like animals.

>falling for it

It's actually going just as I thought it would.

While I don't necessarily believe that this discussion is a useless troll argument (as evidenced by my own replies to this thread), I feel the need to point out that this kind of reply is not a defense to the charge of being trolled.  Trolling does not stop being trolling just because you know what's going on.  If you are giving the troll what they want, then the troll is the one who wins, and you are the one who loses.  You aren't cleverly "counter-trolling" the troll or somehow outsmarting him by playing along.

Ghost of V

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »

How is he not dead yet?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 02:19:53 AM »
I would pay top dollar sterling for a designer baby.
Reported for pedophilia.
God is real.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
This is some high quality Thork here. We got science denial, we got ignorance, we got a general hate of change and progress. It's some good shit.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Thork

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »
This is some high quality Thork here. we got a general hate of change and progress. It's some good shit.
Meh, yeah, you pays your money you takes your choice.

We got science denial, we got ignorance,
No, I don't think you got either of those.