Offline Fouris

• View Profile
Lots of questions
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
Hi to all,

Firstly to introduce myself, my name is Anthony.  I am holding entirely responsible the whole flat earth movement for keeping me awake for a few nights. 
The reason is the amount of information I had to read and videos to watch in order to get my head around the possibility (apologies, but for me is still a possibility...I am still reading though...) that the earth as I know it, is a flat plain.
I admit, it is difficult to overcome in a heart beat a life's knowledge and “experiences” from the school age, uni and then the professional life.
The things is that the more I read and watch, the more questions I have. I am sure that the space to leave my comments on this forum is not enough to write exactly what I have in mind, but I just hope that maybe (just maybe) someone will give me something more solid info to hold on. 
I've got medical background and physics, chemistry, etc are subjects familiar to me, and yet whatever I've read or heard appears soooo distant.  I've watched more than 15 videos, from 6hrs to 3 minutes duration. I've read some documents related to flat earth and some of the comments on this forum. I have to say, I am not wiser...I dare to say, I am perplexed with the...complexity of things and the way that experts (whether you want the word -expert- in inverted commas, that's anyone's choice) trying to explain that the belief that the earth is a globe, is somehow non-sense. I haven't got a problem with that obviously, I am open minded. But in my opinion, some of those who put these videos together are either over jealous or they think they are addressing Nobel winners in physics and maths. A simple way is often the best way to go and to get the attention of the audience.   
The more important result of all the above, is the fact that now I have started asking questions.
For example: if we accept that there's a firmament, then how can we explain meteorites? I am not definitely an expert on the subject (nor I will ever claim), but some of you must remember a few years ago , the incident somewhere in Russia (if I remember correctly) where a quite big meteorite exploded over a town.  There are a few videos on a well known website on that.  So if there's a firmament, is it passable only towards one way? Only of course if the alleged meteorite was a real case, that is.
The above of course is one of the many questions I have. It may sound too simplistic or even stupid, but in my line of work, asking allegedly stupid questions make us find solutions.
Clearly there's a huge amount of debate going around and I would have loved to be part of it. Debate creates creative dialogue in my opinion, however the intentions have to be good, otherwise even if you have the best proof that the earth is flat, no one is going to accept it.
Finally to ask for a favor:
I am not too happy with what I've been watching on the well known website.
So if anyone has to suggest a book, or a proper documentary, or anything that could give me a proper start on the subject of flat earth, it will be eternally appreciated. Something on the line of : " Flat earth's guide - for dummies" style.
I don't have anything to hide, so I have allowed my email to be accessed directly.
I am looking forward to any reply. 

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
Re: Lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 03:47:44 AM »
Speaking only on the idea of a firmament.

Flat Earth Theory (FET) holds that FE is rushing headlong through space (though they deny the existence of space as it pertains to RET) and it is this constant forward motion which provides the sensation of gravity.

You mention meteorites.  Any number of people have witnessed at least one meteorite in their life and those meteorites are seen to be falling/flying across the sky at some angle other than 90 degrees.  They are never seen to be falling/flying perpendicular to their point of impact.

The reason I bring this up is that the headlong rush through space, at the speed which FET holds, prohibits any object from entering our atmosphere and streaking across the sky.  It may well enter from an oblique angle but the upward rush of FE would make that object impact Earth on a perpendicular trajectory, not obliquely as witnessed, measured and studied.  On Earth meteorites can and do enter our atmosphere and impact (or not) at any number of angles.

Of course FE proponents will probably argue that those meteorites are entering our atmosphere at a speed greater than that of FE's but I would like to see what speed they propose for the meteorites as well as the math they would use to allow for it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:15:35 AM by CableDawg »