Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1520 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:13 AM »
beerdo only recently resumed playing, actually.  It turns out that ZeniMax doesn't support very many payment methods for their Finnish subscribers.  Unnonirregardless, I probably won't be playing it for much longer myself.  I have one zone left of the Dominion to complete before I officially reach endgame territory, and I'm not feeling all that enthusiastic about the group PvE format of Craglorn.  I might resubscribe if and when they add new areas.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 28, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »
Let's get married, beerdo.  We'll get a ten percent bonus to our xp gains when we're both online!

No, wait, it looks like only the people who got the Imperial Edition are actually able to get married.  That sucks.
Also, that'd be gay. Can't have that, now can we?

beerdo only recently resumed playing, actually.  It turns out that ZeniMax doesn't support very many payment methods for their Finnish subscribers.  Unnonirregardless, I probably won't be playing it for much longer myself.  I have one zone left of the Dominion to complete before I officially reach endgame territory, and I'm not feeling all that enthusiastic about the group PvE format of Craglorn.  I might resubscribe if and when they add new areas.
I don't know if the problem is with my bank, or because I entered my street address with an "ä" instead of an "a" the first time I tried to subscribe, and I can't for whatever fucking reason correct it (Whenever I try to change it to an "a", it will still use "ä" after I apply the changes... Nicely coded subscription page, Zenimax.), but PayPal seems to work like a charm.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:50:58 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1522 on: November 28, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
Skyrim lets you gay marry. Why not TESO?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1523 on: November 28, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
Also, that'd be gay. Can't have that, now can we?

Of course we can.  The game is super-progressive about its portrayal of gay people and their relationships.  In the AMA with the writers, ZeniMax explained that they figured that people in Tamriel wouldn't really consider being gay a big deal or care about it much.  And now, because I'm contractually obligated to bring up wonky Kirkbridean writing every few posts in this thread, here's an interesting sidenote.  Someone replied to ZeniMax in the AMA and argued that the 36 Lessons of Vivec suggest that there are indeed restrictions on such relationships.  Unfortunately, he didn't go into any more detail, and the writers didn't respond, but presumably he was referring to this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_14

The holy one returned at last, Vehk, golden with wisdom. His head found its body had been tenderly used. He mentioned this to Molag Bal, who told him that he should thank the Barons of Move Like This, 'For I have yet to learn how to refine my rapture. My love is accidentally shaped like a spear.'

So Vivec, who had a grain of Ayem's mercy, set about to teach Molag Bal in the ways of belly-magic. They took their spears out and compared them. Vivec bit new words onto the King of Rape's so that it might give more than ruin to the uninitiated. This has since become a forbidden ritual, though people still practice it in secret.

Here is why: The Velothi and demons and monsters that were watching all took out their own spears. There was much biting and the earth became wet. And this was the last laugh of Molag Bal:

'Watch as the earth shall crack, heavy with so much power, that should have been forever unalike!'

Then that stretch of badlands that had been the site of the marriage fragmented and threw fire. And a race that is no more but that was terrible at the time to behold came forth. Born of the biters, that is all they did, and they ran amok across the lands of Veloth and even to the shores of Red Mountain.

But Vivec made of his spear a more terrible thing, from a secret he had bitten off from the King of Rape. And so he sent Molag Bal tumbling into the crack of the biters and swore forever that he would not deem the King beautiful ever again.

Vivec wept as he slew all those around him with his terrible new spear. He named it MUATRA, which is Milk Taker, and even the Chimeri mystics knew his fury. Anyone struck by Vivec at this time turned barren and withered into bone shapes. The path of bones became a sentence for the stars to read, and the heavens have never known children since. Vivec hunted down the biters one by one, and all their progeny, and he killed them all by means of the Nine Apertures, and the wise still hide theirs from Muatra.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

My rebuttal is as follows: lol@interpreting the lessons of Vivec literally.  That being said, I don't think that this was necessarily meant to mean consensual oral sex.  The presence of Daedra, as well as the use of the term "words," indicates that what was happening was more magical in nature.  We already know that Kirkbride is a big believer in the power of semen, after all.

Also, I saw another guy in r/teslore complain that the events of TESO could never happen because Molag Bal is, ahem, "Vivec's bitch," as shown by that passage.  To which I say, lol@interpreting the lessons of Vivec literally.  But even if we do, I don't think it shows Molag Bal would forever be unwilling or incapable of invading Nirn.  If anything, it gives him more motivation.  He's still salty about what happened between him and Vivec.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 28, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
What the hell is wrong with Kirkbride
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1525 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »
I am the Chosen One!  Specifically, the "Moon Hallowed," whose job is to guide the prospective new Mane in the process of becoming the Mane.  I think.  Anyway, this is actually the first time in the game that you're explicitly made a chosen one of any kind.  It's funny, because I remember in the advertising and promotion of this game, they kept talking about how in the main story, you were the "Soulless One," a hero predestined by some prophecy to defeat Molag Bal.  That all turned out to be crap.  Dumbledore gives a few generic "There's something special about you" comments at the start of the game, but there's no prophecy, no talk about fate or destiny, and the PC is referred to as "the Vestige" throughout, which is, needless to say, a far better name than the Soulless One.  It's like the dumb "derp transcription error" tweet I linked earlier - I think there was some real miscommunication between the developers and whoever was promoting the game.

No, I will not shut up.  I'll keep talking about the main story, particularly because I want to correct an old post of mine here:

I'm a little confused about how the main story is going to work.  I had thought that the war was just a PvP thing that would always be going on throughout the course of the game, but now it's being tied into the story?  You have to win the war and become the emperor so that you can fight off Molag Bal for good?  But then what happens with the PvP area and the Dark Anchors - are they just not there anymore? ???

The Kotaku article in the post from Snupes that I was replying to doesn't seem to exist anymore, but I summarized what the author said about the story, and she was way off base.  You don't become the emperor or win the war.  You do mount an invasion of Coldharbour after you've completed your faction's storyline, but it's basically a coalition of people from the Fighters and Mages Guilds.  The three faction leaders outright refuse to participate, for fear that it'll weaken their own war efforts.  Anyway, the main story itself, with the Prophet and all, is more about trying to find a long-term, so to speak, solution to the chaos, by trying to find the Amulet of Kings.  But at the same time, Mannimarco is looking for the Amulet, because his plan is to use it to usurp Molag Bal and become a god himself.  Somehow.  He's not exactly clear on that front.

That aside, Mannimarco is pretty cool.  I honestly think that he was included as an apology for how badly Oblivion bungled him.  (I would seriously welcome a retcon of his death in a later TES game.  They could say that it was just some body double you killed while the real Mannimarco made his escape.  Given how easy he was to take down, who could argue with that?)  The only issue I have with his portrayal is the fact that, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, he seems to pretty unambiguously die.  Molag Bal drags his soul into Coldharbour for some torturing, too.  In a later quest, you meet him while he's being punished, have the option of freeing him (I have no idea why) and he says something about being neither alive nor dead.  Uh huh.  And bear in mind that this is the young Mannimarco, centuries before the Warp in the West may have given him any divine powers.  He wasn't even a lich at this point.  This is the biggest question mark I've encountered in terms of lore, but that's probably to the game's credit, all things considered.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:26:12 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 02, 2014, 01:39:56 AM »
Morrowang is currently discounted on Steam. I bought it. Now I will be able to properly inform all of you of why it sucks a lot after the download finishes.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1527 on: December 02, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »
Morrowang is currently discounted on Steam. I bought it. Now I will be able to properly inform all of you of why it sucks a lot after the download finishes.

Welcome to the gaming master race. Here's your complimentary e-peen.

*hands you Vivec's large e-peen*

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: December 02, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »

Well, I'm sure this will be stupid. Don't try to do anything active (fight, cast spells, pick locks, etc.) while maximally fatigued and you shouldn't have too terrible of a time.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1529 on: December 02, 2014, 02:36:26 AM »
Oblivion is also discounted, and I have bought it.  This will be my first time doing Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: December 02, 2014, 05:48:08 AM »
Oblivion is also discounted, and I have bought it.  This will be my first time doing Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine.
Hint: Put on the Gray Cowl while wearing the Relics of the Crusader.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
First problem, the game has no options for high resolutions. Apparently the developers had no foresight and thought that 1400x1050 was the pinnacle of human resolution technology. That or they assumed "no one in the distant future could possibly want to play this shitty game."

More to come.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: December 02, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
I fixed it moments after making that post, but thanks for the effort. Critiques so far:

The combat feels completely unsatisfying. When I am wielding an iron sword it sounds more like it is made of wood, always making a dull thudding noise when I hit a rat. Oh, also I lost a fight to a rat using a sword, my character must have some sort of severe muscle disorder.

The characters say things (voiced) that don't match their text speech. e.g. a friendly in text character that likes me and easily explains anything I want to ask about says out loud "get on with it" in a "hurry up" tone of voice, as if they've been in a hurry for the past fifteen minutes as they explained the entirety of Balmora's history to me.

Towns feel empty. Aside from a few characters, Balmora is a barren wasteland. I'll admit that might be intended, so I'll have to explore further to confirm whether that is intended or if the detail level of the game is just low.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: December 02, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
Is Morrowind, lore-wise, supposed to be really foggy?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 02, 2014, 08:49:06 PM »
Let's say yes.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1536 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »
Towns feel empty. Aside from a few characters, Balmora is a barren wasteland. I'll admit that might be intended, so I'll have to explore further to confirm whether that is intended or if the detail level of the game is just low.

Balmora is supposed to be a prosperous town, being the seat of House Hlaalu on Vvardenfell.

Is Morrowind, lore-wise, supposed to be really foggy?

No, it's basically just a cover for the poor draw distance.  I'm sure you can get rid of it with mods, though.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: December 02, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
You can. There's a reason everybody uses MGE.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 03, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »
Balmora is supposed to be a prosperous town, being the seat of House Hlaalu on Vvardenfell.

Oh, well that is just awful if that is how the game depicts a wealthy city. Maybe dunmer just don't believe in decorations.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 03, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
Well, yes, The Dunmer are very austere. Also, let's not forget that this game was released in 2002. If you want the game to look like it was released later than 2002, use mods.