Edges...
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Greetings

So, if Earth is indeed flat and it is a disc, how do the edges work? How is it possible to travel from certain points which would be near the edges in less time? For me and my bare eyes evidence (as you so much praise) this would indicate a spheric world instead of a flat one.

A precise map of your model would be appreciated to explain this.

Thanks
Earth is spheric, regardless of your opinion...

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Edges...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
How have you calculated that the time is less on a spherical world? 

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
I'm waiting on a map to be provided...

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
And I am waiting for you to tell us the calculations that you used to determine that the distances can only occur on a sphere. 

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »
You are the ones running this show, the ball is in your court. I have no interest in convincing you. I'm here respectfully to learn about your stand points. But it seems this is what everyone says, just a waste of time.

That is my emphirical appreciation. I hope someone else comes to clarify my queries.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
You are the ones running this show, the ball is in your court. I have no interest in convincing you. I'm here respectfully to learn about your stand points. But it seems this is what everyone says, just a waste of time.

That is my emphirical appreciation. I hope someone else comes to clarify my queries.

Hello Scorer, welcome to TFES.

In short, it depends on who you ask.  There are a few different flat earth maps on the wiki, but as with any map, none are exact, in part because we're not cartographers.   I don't think one needs to have scores of figures to prove a flat earth - simple observation does that.  Facts and figured can be flawed.  I do have some calculations I'm working on dealing with the way light works, but as far as geography (particularly in the southern hemidisc where distances are so hotly contested) I'm admittedly not an expert.  However, blindly using data based upon how far something *should* be on a spherical earth (like a recent discussion on air routes from Australia to the Falklands - a route which only exists in theory, as no planes actually fly it) is fallacy, and around here we tend to emphasize observational evidence over Google-powered research.

So, if Earth is indeed flat and it is a disc, how do the edges work? How is it possible to travel from certain points which would be near the edges in less time? For me and my bare eyes evidence (as you so much praise) this would indicate a spheric world instead of a flat one.
Thanks

As for edges, I strongly suspect that there are no edges at all and that the earth is an infinite plane that it loops back onto itself, but that's purely theoretical on my part.  This model, however, doesn't suffer from the same distance related problems that the monopolar disc does.  Even still, evidence that those distance problems even exist is highly debatable.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:50:55 PM by Tintagel »

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
Why not look at flight times in the southern hemisphere.  There are flights to the south pole that may interest some here.

Does anyone dispute the distances on a spherical earth that are used by everyone?  All the alignments for satellite tv are based on, and work with, a spherical earth.

Seems strange there is still no flat earth map after all the years of discussion.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »

As for edges, I strongly suspect that there are no edges at all and that the earth is an infinite plane that it loops back onto itself, but that's purely theoretical on my part.  This model, however, doesn't suffer from the same distance related problems that the monopolar disc does.  Even still, evidence that those distance problems even exist is highly debatable.

So, if this last is true, I shold be able to see the back of my neck with a good telescope by climbing an average mountain, right?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:04:49 AM »

So, if this last is true, I shold be able to see the back of my neck with a good telescope by climbing an average mountain, right?
That depends.  Do you have a telescope that can resolve a human neck through many thousands of miles of atmosphere?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »
How about something big? Like a Mountain, a specific mountain?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:56:30 AM »
How about something big? Like a Mountain, a specific mountain?
Given that on top of Mt Everest you can see about as far as 210 miles, you're unlikely to approach the 25,000-ish miles you'd need.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
Then, if the falt earth is wrapped infintely as stated before... Wouldn't we be able too see a lot of moons? It is th same, but as the world is endlessly wrapped, we should see the moon a lot of times, and the moon is big enough for it.

Unless of course you have also special rules for the moon I'm unaware of...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:05 AM »
Then, if the falt earth is wrapped infintely as stated before... Wouldn't we be able too see a lot of moons?
No, we shouldn't, because of the Pythagorean theorem. Any other instance of the moon would be much farther away, and thus also invisible.

Unless of course you have also special rules for the moon I'm unaware of...
You poor soul. Have you tried reading the Wiki?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:39 AM »
I find "you poor soul" as offensive, I have not been offensive. Thanks.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:40 AM »
I find "you poor soul" as offensive, I have not been offensive. Thanks.
And I find referring to us as "a waste of time" and asking about "special rules" to be offensive. As you can see, what people "find as offensive" means very little in the real world.

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 04:35:20 AM »
1) I did not accused you of waste of time, I was only saying what others say.

2) In that case, if you are so different and so sensible, don't go inviting people to join the forums, if everyone is going to bet bashed like this. I have been polite all the way and I do appreciate that Tintagel aswered me poiltely.

And not even with these attacks will I be unpolite.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 05:13:03 AM »
I have been polite all the way[...]

And not even with these attacks will I be unpolite.
No, I've just pointed out two ways in which you have been impolite. If you're allowed to randomly take offence to my wording of things, then so am I. Live up to your own standards.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:14:54 AM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »

Don't mind the others, some of us are jaded.  Visibility is limited by the vanishing point, plus it's generally believed that light travels in a curved path that causes the phenomena of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset.  I'm working with some other members on calculations to this effect at the moment and hope to have some math to verify this soon.  There is a thread here about the Electromagnetic Accelerator, which is the monopolar variant of the bending light hypothesis. 

And while I won't refer to you as a poor soul, I would recommend reading the wiki, which contains a lot of information, but bear in mind we're still very much in the process of reorganizing and updating it, so if you see contradictions or omissions (such as the closed-loop infinite plane which I don't believe is present) that's why.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:33:21 AM by Tintagel »

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
generally believed that light travels in a curved path that causes the phenomena of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset

By who?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 05:58:14 PM »
generally believed that light travels in a curved path that causes the phenomena of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset

By who?

*By whom.

By flat earth believers.