Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
Distance to Sun
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Hallo,

I got a new question. What, in the believes of FET, is the distance between the surface of the earth and the sun (or the moon), just in the moment, as, say, the sun (or the moon) is directly overhead? A rough approximation would suffice...

Re: Distance to Sun
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:04:25 PM »
Hallo,

I got a new question. What, in the believes of FET, is the distance between the surface of the earth and the sun (or the moon), just in the moment, as, say, the sun (or the moon) is directly overhead? A rough approximation would suffice...

3,000 miles! And before you get cute and ask why we're not all baking to death at that solar distance, the FE sun is obviously not as hot as the RE sun. There's an answer for everything! Why does it look like it dips below the horizon at sunset? Light bends, duh. It's really just disappearing in the atmolayer, double duh.
Flatheads, Phillips heads—in the end, we're all tools.

Offline Binder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
How can one test your measurements Midatlantis?

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
So, if I create a baloon or something that rises, say, 100 miles, the sun's visible diameter would increase roughly by a factor of 3%? Do I get this right?

The put a GoPro in a baloon and send it up! Or are there strange atmospheric light-bending effects I have to take care of?

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
yes...the sun is 32 miles in diameter and is 3,000 miles overhead....the sun is similar to a light bulb.