Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
In the other flat Earth society forum I did an experiment with another user to prove the shape of the Earth once and for all.  I am new to this forum but I have been on the other forum for a while and I just got an account here.  Anyway, here is the experiment:

Recently I organized an experiment to prove the shape of the Earth where Dephelis and I both took pictures of the Sun at the same time at two very distant locations.  Time zones were obviously taken into account.

My photo:

Dephelis's photo:

Astronomy telescopes have a tendency to flip their image as well as rotate it in weird ways and also it was sunrise for me and sunset for Dephelis so we are seeing the sun at different orientations.  Here is my image rotated 180 degrees to match Dephelis's image better:

Here I have identified the sunspots on the two images:

Both these images contain the same sunspots in the same places which means that when they were taken the same side of the Sun was facing the two telescopes, but these images were taken at the same time from different continents so the only explanation is that the Sun is really far away, and if the Sun is really far away then the only way that time zones and seasons can be explained is by saying that the Earth is round.  Any resident of Earth has experienced seasons, and time zones had to be taken into account when this experiment was being preformed so they are obviously real.

Conclusion: the Earth is round.
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

Ghost of V

Re: The results of my experiment to prove the shape of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »
Hello, Mike.

We came to the conclusion that your experiment needs to be re-performed on the other site, and my conclusion is no different here. The sunspots in your photos are interesting, but the first picture (yours) is inconclusive. You cannot see the sunspots that you claim are there. That's a problem for your experiment. Didn't you say you took your pictures with a camera phone through a telescope lens? If not, it sure looks like it because the quality is awful. These photos actually prove nothing, simply because the spots don't match up. I would recommend doing the experiment again, this time with better equipment. You might actually accomplish something a second time around.

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
Hello, Mike.

We came to the conclusion that your experiment needs to be re-performed on the other site, and my conclusion is no different here. The sunspots in your photos are interesting, but the first picture (yours) is inconclusive. You cannot see the sunspots that you claim are there. That's a problem for your experiment. Didn't you say you took your pictures with a camera phone through a telescope lens? If not, it sure looks like it because the quality is awful. These photos actually prove nothing, simply because the spots don't match up. I would recommend doing the experiment again, this time with better equipment. You might actually accomplish something a second time around.

I did in fact use my phone to take the picture, and although it's hard to make out the Sunspot on my image I later provided another one I took that showed the Sunspot more clearly.  I took 6-7 pictures of the Sun and I chose which one I would use before I saw Dephelis's image, but I still had the other images.  In that thread you insisted that I faked my images which is a classic flat earther move.  Even though that Sunspot was hard to see even the 2 larger ones are enough to prove that the Sun is really far away, and I couldn't have faked my images because I posted them before Dephelis posted his.  I still believe that this experiment is enough to convince any logical person that the Earth is round, the probelem is that flat earthers are not logical people.
If we are having a debate and you resort to using insults and ad hominem fallacies then I will consider that a win.  You have been warned.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
When all the sunspots are visible in both picture, then you have a successful experiment. Until then, you have nothing. Just like on the other site, simply because you make a thread titled "The results of my experiment to prove the shape of the Earth" and claim that it conclusively proves the shape of the Earth doesn't mean it actually does. It means you think it does, and you're biased (obviously) because your photos are obviously inconclusive.

On the other site, I originally stated that they were faked, but I quickly dropped that position in favor of the more logical one... which is: you don't know what you're doing. And that much is clear. You need a redo on this experiment and you know it, yet you won't admit it due to pride or whatever. I don't want to psychoanalyze too much, but it's clear that the two sets of pictures are not showing the same thing because sunspots are missing in your photo.

When your biggest point here is "the sunspots are the same!" and they're actually not.... that's a huge problem for your experiment. Why can't you admit that??

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Mikeman logic, I shopped cropped flipped and altered the images. Now they look similar, the earth is round.
God is real.

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »
Also note how Mikeman seemed to agree that his experiment was inconclusive and needed a redo back in January, but now is reposting his experiment as if it's conclusive evidence for a Round Earth...

Have you considered my offer for me to do the experiment again with you as the second participant?  I will even post my image before you do so you know that I didn't fabricate an image to match yours.  Viewing sunspots is easy and if you make your own solar viewer then it doesn't cost you anything and you know that the government didn't sabotage it or whatever.  What are you waiting for?  If I am wrong then this will prove it and really teach me a lesson.

Why did your experiment need a redo before but not now, Mikeman? And why haven't you attempted a redo of the experiment since last time we discussed this? You seemed eager at the time, but I guess you lost interest? Or maybe you realized that with me as a participant you'd be found out?

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07:56 PM »
In that thread I later posted this photo where you can more easily see that third Sunspot:

This one hasn't been flipped upside down and cropped yet.

The main reason I agreed to do it again was because people doubt the validity of the results and if I include more people including flat earthers it would be harder to refute the results.  I am still up for a redo.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »
I thought we were all in agreement that looking at the sun from the Earth could not possibly tell you what the shape of the Earth is?  I thought we went over this over and over with you?  Are you posting here because everyone on the other site got tired of explaining to you that the Earth could be a cylinder or what ever, and you would still get the same results? 

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 04:03:06 AM »
I thought we were all in agreement that looking at the sun from the Earth could not possibly tell you what the shape of the Earth is?  I thought we went over this over and over with you?  Are you posting here because everyone on the other site got tired of explaining to you that the Earth could be a cylinder or what ever, and you would still get the same results?

You can't directly tell the shape of the Earth from observing the Sun, but if we see that the Sun looks the same from 2 places far away then you could deduce that the Sun is very far away and by extension that the Earth is round because that's the only way to explain time zones and sunsets.  How would you explain my results on a flat Earth?

Offline Binder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:25:32 PM »
Um, I think you can tell the shape of the Earth by observing the sun. Or, I should say, you can find the shape of the earth if you observe the light that strikes the Earth.

If a few of us got together and plotted the shadow from a 1 meter pole at the same times I bet we could deduce what shape the Earth is.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:41:08 PM »
I still believe that this experiment is enough to convince any logical person that the Earth is round, the probelem is that flat earthers are not logical people.

Assuming your data is correct, wouldn't a logical person conclude that the shape of the sun is spherical (or perhaps hemispherical), not the earth?  Or to put it another way, if I see a potato-shaped asteroid in the sky, could I conclude that the earth is potato-shaped?  If I saw a hot-air balloon in the sky, could I assume that the earth is hot-air balloon shaped?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
I believe that under the Electromagnetic Accelerator theory, in which light is universally bending upwards, the effect would have a side effect of the sun shining its same face over the entirety of the earth's surface. Extreme angles of the sun would be bent away from the observer and never seen.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:41:18 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
I still believe that this experiment is enough to convince any logical person that the Earth is round, the probelem is that flat earthers are not logical people.

Assuming your data is correct, wouldn't a logical person conclude that the shape of the sun is spherical (or perhaps hemispherical), not the earth?  Or to put it another way, if I see a potato-shaped asteroid in the sky, could I conclude that the earth is potato-shaped?  If I saw a hot-air balloon in the sky, could I assume that the earth is hot-air balloon shaped?

What I proved is that the Sun is very far away because there is no visable parallax despite those pictures being taken at the same time thousands of miles apart.  This means that the only way time zones can exist is if the Earth is round, and time zones clearly do exist because the Sun was just rising for me and about to set for Dephelis.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
What I proved is that the Sun is very far away because there is no visible parallax despite those pictures being taken at the same time thousands of miles apart.
Or that EAT holds, since it would produce the exact same effect.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
You will be stunned to learn that I also took a picture of the sun on that exact date.

Anyone can search for pictures of the sun on the internet.  ::)

I hate these troll threads. "I went in a rocket ship and took this photo blah blah". Photographic evidence is not admissible in the age of image searches and photoshop. Too easy to make false claims like yours.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:13:54 PM by Dr David Thork »

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
You will be stunned to learn that I also took a picture of the sun on that exact date.

Anyone can search for pictures of the sun on the internet.  ::)

I hate these troll threads. "I went in a rocket ship and took this photo blah blah". Photographic evidence is not admissible in the age of image searches and photoshop. Too easy to make false claims like yours.

The evidence is not the photos as much as it is the experiment.  I would be willing to redo this experiment with any and all willing flat earthers with the proper equipment.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
The evidence is not the photos as much as it is the experiment.  I would be willing to redo this experiment with any and all willing flat earthers with the proper equipment.
Okay, but given that the experiment is entirely non-conclusive, where is the evidence?

HHHzzz

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
I'm deleting my account, please delete my post
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:50:12 AM by HHHzzz »

Offline mikeman7918

• Round Earther
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:32 AM »
Given that flat earthers think that this experiment is inconclusive while at the same time they think that "the Earth looks flat" is conclusive should say a thing or two about them.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »
they think that "the Earth looks flat" is conclusive
No one thinks that. Your lack of integrity only says one thing about you.