Offline Bobby Shafto

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv72TaxoaafQr8WD
    • View Profile
    • Bobby Shafto YouTube Channel
Gambling on Sunset
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »
I recently discovered that UCSD has something called the High Performance Wireless Research & Education Network (HPWREN) that includes web cameras mounted on the masts around the local San Diego county high points. I started checking them regularly for visibility before decisions whether or not to go out for any observations. I didn't consider the resolution sufficient for what I've been trying to do in investigating flat vs. globe earth.

But I happened to catch the moon setting this morning on one of the camera feeds, which gave me the idea that maybe it might capture the sunset and let us gauge where the horizon is with respect to level. But rather than collect the imagery and try to assess it, I thought it might be my interesting to make some predictions beforehand and THEN see how it played out.

This is just a rough cut, but according to the HPWREN web site, and in looking at the views from other cameras, I deduce that the western facing camera is at an elevation of ~1600'. Mt Soledad in La Jolla is 822' at  distance of 66,222' away, and so that gives me an index line: 0.7° declined below level sight (we'll go with a flat earth measure; on a globe with std refraction, eye level would be 0.1° higher).

On a globe, instead of the horizon being at eye level, it should be declined 0.65° from that 1600' vantage point. In a bit of serendipity, Mt. Soledad summit seems to coincide with the globe "horizon," below the FE eye level "horizon".

How to gauge the angular dimension? That nearby water tank is 32' from ground to edge of the domed top. Working out the trig (I forget the distance off hand), it's about 0.5°. So that provides a pixel/degree ratio basis, and using that is how I can place the eye-level line above the Mt. Soledad summit line (and projected globe earth horizon line).

Does that follow? The sun is about 0.5° in angular diameter too, but I don't expect we'll see its actual size without a filter. The haze low on the western horizon may filter the sun enough to see it as an orb.

Looking at TimeandDate, the sun should set at 6:35PM on the 267° azimuth. It looks to me like the camera is oriented on 270°, and that seemed to be corroborated by the earlier moonset bearing. So I placed an arrow where I think the sun will set.

I'd like to refine these lines and measures using the larger resolution photo instead of this reduced image (reduced for the purpose of posting it inline and not wrecking the page). But I wanted to get this posted now, just in case I don't get back to it before sunset.

Anyone can check and see if the prediction was close. Will the sun appear to set below the eye level line? Will the time and bearing of TimeandDate.com match what I'm predicting?

Here's the direct link to the web cam. Under 3 hours to sunset.

Edit: I see the sun is already in view, and now see that the disc is being eclipsed. I don't know if that will remain in place all the way through to sunset.

And it's looking grim for my globe estimate. Sure looks like the horizon is appearing to be raised above the Soledad summit, just about the level I figured was FE eye level...though the image below is cropped from the original at double the resolution than my annotated one above. Nevertheless, my estimate of globe earth horizon is looking wrong. Depends on the haze.

Either my geometry/trig was way off or that sun eclipsing disk is well greater that 0.53°.

Update #2:
I don't. GoogleEarth depicts the globe horizon just barely cresting the summit of Mt Soledad when height is set at 1600' from the Black Mtn view point.

Update #3:
Still looking like horizon is around 0.5° above Mt. Soledad summit. (Large JPG file, annotated)

Update #4:
Raw image at sunset.  Will assess tomorrow, but anyone can do it.

Update #5:
Looking at this morning's camera feed and at last night's file capture of sunset, I find myself asking lots of questions. When I initiated this topic, I was nervous because my globe earth calculation of where the horizon should be compared with where it appeared to be was so different. But from lower elevations, I'm well-familiar with what the atmospheric haze and marine layer can do to make the actual horizon difficult to see. But seeing from the vantage point of 1600' I wasn't so sure. And as I watched the sun illuminate the ocean and appear to make the horizon distinguishable, I thought I was going to have to eat my hat and score one for flat earth. 

It shouldn't have been a surprise to me, but it was when I checked the archived picture after sunset -- I missed the actual event live -- and saw the sun setting below the apparent horizon. I still have to mark it up and measure, but just eyeballing it, it sure looks close to the prediction.

The azimuth was way off from predicted though, but that's just my error since I was guessing that the camera was pointed due west. I checked the bearing line with GoogleEarth and the sun DID set on a bearing of 267°. So now I know how the camera is oriented.

The time was off as well, by a couple of minutes. But I forgot that from a higher elevation the time, of course, will slew later. Local hot air balloons give their customers multiple sunset viewings by climbing through higher altitudes. I should have known the time of sunset would be later.

But that horizon: even this morning, looking at the feed, I could swear the horizon is higher.

And looking at last night's shot, the sun is setting on a bearing line just about in line with the northern tip of San Clemente Island, but I can't detect any hint of the island in the image. MAYBE there's a tip of Mt Thirst poking up above the marine layer. Or, I might be just trying to see something that isn't there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:26:53 PM by Bobby Shafto »

Offline Humble B

• Full merrily the humble B doth sing
    • View Profile
Re: Gambling on Sunset
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »
Good experiment, but what I'm missing is photographical evidence of your prediction. So hard for us to see if the sun did really set near the location of the horizon you indicated in advance. Maybe, if you don't mind, you could post some more pictures of the event to get a clearer picture of it.
He who believes windmills are his enemies, will take the gentle turning of their blades an act of aggression, and mistake their soft murmur for angry ranting.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
Good experiment, but what I'm missing is photographical evidence of your prediction. So hard for us to see if the sun did really set near the location of the horizon you indicated in advance. Maybe, if you don't mind, you could post some more pictures of the event to get a clearer picture of it.
I linked to the unedited "raw" image captured at the time of sunset in Update #4 above.

I haven't done the pixel/angle measurements yet. I invite anyone to take a crack at it, but I'll do my rendition now and post it shortly.

Offline Bobby Shafto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
So here's what I found:

This is cropped and split/aligned to display on the page better, but resolution is unchanged from the annotated original, which I'll make available here.  And as I said, the original un-annotated image is here for anyone who wants to give it their own shot.

I used 3 different areas to establish a pixel/degree ratio:
1. The sun itself, which is known to be 0.53° in diameter. It gets vertically compressed by atmospheric refraction close to the horizon, but width is pretty constant. Without a filter, even through the surface/marine layer haze, the "bloom" from the brightness of the sun exaggerates its size a little, but at a measured 13px width in the raw image, that's  24.5 pixels/degree.

2. The 34' high water tank, 3405' feet away and 804' below the webcam by my math works out to be 0.5°, measured at 11 px. So that's 22 pixels/degree.

3. But I think the best gauge is the horizontal difference in bearing between sunset (267.0°) and the earlier moonset (284.6°), which measures 375 pixels over 17.6°, or 21.4 pixels/degree.

With that, the 6-pixel difference between the Mt Soledad summit and the observed horizon line works out to be 0.28°. My prediction had been that the horizon would coincide with the hill summit. So that was off.

The red line is the FE "eye level" of +0.7° previously calculated by the trigonometry of a flat earth presumption and the heights of the camera and Mt Soledad in the distance. 0.7° is 14 pixels based on the gauge, and that line is above where the actual horizon is revealed by the sunset. So the horizon is shown to not be at "eye level". It does coincide with what appeared to be a horizon, but which turned out to just be the top of the marine layer/haze.

The yellow line is where GE "eye level" is, based on where the horizon was revealed to be. According to a globe earth curve calculator, the refracted horizon "dip" is 0.65° at that viewing height, which is 13 pixels by the gauge.

The difference between GE and FE "eye level" lines is 5 pixels, or 0.2°. I had estimated a 0.1° difference originally.

I've been wanting to eventually hike up to the Black Mountain summit with my water level apparatus and take a sighting of the horizon, but not until a clear day. We're not there yet, seasonal climate-wise, but I admit it sure looked like the horizon was where the FE eye level line is prior to sunset.

Please double check my measurements and my math and see if you come up with something different. I'll probably keep tabs on this Webcam stream, watching to see if the results are consistent. When we finally do get a clear fall day with some cooler, less humid air (maybe after the expected rain this coming week), I hope to trek to the top and make the final observation of my horizon-level experiments. But in the meantime, I thought this might either support or debunk my previous conclusions. I honestly didn't know what the results would be when I posted. (Hence, the "gamble".) But since I'm a confident globe-ist, I felt sure the results would support the globe. I lost that confidence right after publishing the opening post and seeing the early images.

I think the end result though further confirms the horizon "dip" as predicted for a globe earth. I was just a bit off on exactly where the horizon would be, but 0.1° is pretty close if I do say so myself.

I was way off on the bearing, but I was just guessing where due west was.

I'm still a little uncertain why San Clemente Island isn't evidenced. Even with the marine layer clouding the horizon to around 2000', I'd think the sun would have backlit it in silhouette as it penetrated the haze. As the sun moves by minutes and degrees south over the next week or so, San Clemente should start revealing itself, especially if the haze diminishes.