Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #940 on: November 21, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
Don't listen to Ghost and watch Atlantis too. Even though you should have started already when SG1 Season 8 started.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:29:34 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 21, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Finished Stargate SG-1. And, damn, am I glad that's over. There are way too many things wrong with Season 10 to list them all.

One thing that bothered me specifically: The Asgard. They didn't get a proper send-off. "We're dying, here's our knowledge. I gotta go now." That was it. The Asgard are easily the coolest alien race in the Stargate series, and this was not the correct way to handle their entire race's extinction. Just stupid. The entire episode was just retarted. Everyone is stuck in a time dilation field, they all age about 60 years, and then at the very end of the episode they figure out how to make a reset button. And Vala and Daniel Jackson hook up (?!?!?!). Outrageous. I'm guessing they were expecting to make a Season 11 because this finale fucking sucked as a series ender.

I told you to stop watching them. I tried to save you. This is your own fault.

Ghost of V

« Reply #942 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
Don't listen to Ghost and watch Atlantis too. Even though you should have started already when SG1 Season 8 started.

Already started. So far it's much better than Season 9-10 of SG-1. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 24, 2014, 05:02:36 AM »
Just watched Interstellar. I share Snupes' sentiment almost exactly, so I won't repeat what she's already said. I did think it was funny that <spoilers> when Cooper and Murph are being questioned, and Cooper asks for assurance that he won't be killed... and one of the people at the table says something to the effect of "Haha, we're NASA!" as if that were supposed to be reassuring. I had to remind myself that the average globularist audience member wouldn't realize that there isn't a more sinister agency on the surface of this flat earth.</spoilers>

tl;dr cum awn TARS
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:13:33 AM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #944 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:40 PM »
I really like Stargate Atlantis so far. John Sheppard is a badass to the nth degree. Just finished the episode where he single-handedly thwarts the Genii's plan to take over Atlantis. Probably the best episode I've seen so far. Although, Rodney and Sheppard are the only interesting things about Atlantis right now. The secondary characters seem a bit weak and underdeveloped so far.

Oh, and Teyla seems like a female version of Teal'c. Pretty unoriginal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:41:58 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #945 on: November 24, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
I'm still watching Gotham.  I don't know why.  It's really not very good.  I guess I just feel obliged to because it's Batman.  Well, sort of Batman.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 25, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »
I really like Stargate Atlantis so far. John Sheppard is a badass to the nth degree. Just finished the episode where he single-handedly thwarts the Genii's plan to take over Atlantis. Probably the best episode I've seen so far. Although, Rodney and Sheppard are the only interesting things about Atlantis right now. The secondary characters seem a bit weak and underdeveloped so far.

Oh, and Teyla seems like a female version of Teal'c. Pretty unoriginal.
Yeah I don't like her either. Seems like she's there only for the "we need a strong female character or else it's sexist" factor.
The Mastery.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy)

It is a good

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 28, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Taxi Driver (Scorsese)

A great film documenting gradual and painful isolation, but I am not sure how I feel about the ending. Part of me feels like Travis liberated himself from his mania by liberating Iris from Matthew. The two characters seemed like parallels to me. Iris was trapped by her affection for Matthew, leading a lonely, hopeless life, and deep down feeling a need to escape. Travis' obsession and subsequent rejection with Betsy would lead to the same feelings. After Travis went apeshit and freed Iris, he seemed free from his obsession with Betsy. They were able to have an amiable conversation in the cab without Travis acting like a creep.

However, I can't help but think that the friendly Travis we see at the end is just a crazy killer who has let off some steam. After all, he did just try to assassinate a politician. It could only be a matter of time before tension builds within him again. But next time, he won't be seen as the hero.

It almost seems more appropriate for Travis to have died in the shootout.

Either way, it's an excellent film. Would recommend.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 28, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
Finally saw Interstellar.

I really enjoyed it. The story had me totally riveted up until the black hole. But even that wasn't cheesy enough for me to dislike it.
I don't agree with the theme of leaving the planet or have any fascination with space (I'm a historian after all), but it was still a great story and beautifully made.

Also, 10/10 would hit McConaughey

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 28, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Why don't you agree with leaving the planet
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 28, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
The atmosphere here is pretty good LOL XD
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #952 on: November 29, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
It's harder to leave than it is to stay.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 29, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
Well IF we cause the destruction of the planet then I think we should go down with it.

We're from Earth, why not die out with Earth? I also think humans are kinda terrible. I wouldn't wish us on any other planet.
I generally see humans as a really intelligent, terrible animal driven by instincts. I don't have very lofty ideals of evolution/adaptation.

Ghost of V

« Reply #954 on: November 29, 2014, 12:43:48 AM »
Well IF we cause the destruction of the planet then I think we should go down with it.

We're from Earth, why not die out with Earth? I also think humans are kinda terrible. I wouldn't wish us on any other planet.
I generally see humans as a really intelligent, terrible animal driven by instincts. I don't have very lofty ideals of evolution/adaptation.

Your opinion is wrong.

« Reply #955 on: November 29, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »
Did not expect that kind of edge from Rooster. Confirmed for a 15y/o high schooler attempting philosophy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #956 on: November 29, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »
Who's to say that Earth was even our original home planet?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 29, 2014, 02:10:20 AM »

We're from Earth, why not die out with Earth?

I don't really think those two things correlate at all
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #958 on: November 29, 2014, 04:09:35 AM »
I watched the first film of the Star Trek reboot, the one from 2009.  It wasn't awful, but I can't say it was very good either.  They did a few things well, I'll grant.  Spock was good, Bones was good, and I liked how they tied it into the previous continuity with Nimoy showing up.  But there was one enormous flaw that ruined the movie for me, and his name was James T. Kirk.  Kirk sucked.  He really, really sucked.  He was an annoying, unlikable, obnoxious, unpleasant asshole whose constant douchebaggery was inexplicably rewarded with promotion and unwarranted praise throughout the entire film.  The logic of this movie seems to be that hey, this is Kirk, instantly recognizable as the hero of the franchise, and therefore, he doesn't need to actually act like a hero to gain the audience's loyalty.  Or like a competent officer.  Or even like a decent human being.  Well, it doesn't work like that.

And before anyone starts with crap like "But Shatner's Kirk was the exact same," or "You can't just have a handsome nice guy running around being heroic," or "He is persistent and a heroic," don't.  Because no, he wasn't, yes, you can, and no, he isn't.  Shatner played Kirk as being supremely confident, yes.  But, and here's the key difference between them, his Kirk could walk the walk as well as talk the talk.  He wasn't always right, but he proved again and again that he was a brilliant tactician, a great leader, and a loyal friend.  He earned every ounce of smugness that he ever displayed.  Pine's Kirk did not.  He's a cocky little bastard right from the start of the movie, long before he ever did anything worthwhile, and even by the end of it, he still hadn't done much to be proud of.  If anyone was the real hero of this film, it was Spock.  Like I said, he was handled very well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:25:43 AM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #959 on: November 29, 2014, 04:26:14 AM »