Error Code Purple
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
Does anyone know how to fix error code purple?  The cpu's been bricked so long I can't remember if it's a windows 7 or a vista, but I'm sure it's one of the two. 
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Error Code Purple
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:45 AM »
Paint your screen orange.  That'll fix it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
I have no idea what you're talking about, but it appears that Google does.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:08:49 AM »
I tried googling it before but the links haven't been helpful so far.  I was hoping someone on this forum had some experience with it.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:25 AM »
What a non-serious color to give to a fatal computer error.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:12:03 AM »
You could give this a try: http://www.debian.org/CD/
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
Is it an HP?

If so, this might help.

Quote from: HP Support Forum
‎05-14-2012 09:37 PM

Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english.

***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS****
***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***

With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>".   It's all ready for you to start typing.)
Type the following line, just as you see it here...

notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

so it will look like this

C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

Press Enter.
You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor.
Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...

goto cleanup

So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...

goto cleanup

Save the file and exit notepad and restart your PC. You are good to go.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/Code-Purple-Error-Help/td-p/359373

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »
Wait, let me get this straight....

HP's version of windows has its own error codes?  What the fuck?  I knew they put on their own programs but I never thought they could alter windows error messages.

Ok so if the above doesn't help, tell us what happens if you try to boot into safe mode.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »

HP's version of windows has its own error codes?  What the fuck?  I knew they put on their own programs but I never thought they could alter windows error messages.

Ok so if the above doesn't help, tell us what happens if you try to boot into safe mode.

It's their own BIOS in the motherboard which throws the error, not Windows. All computer/hardware manufacturers shove their own flavor of BIOS onto the mobo. It's just an example of HP getting in the way of the user fixing their own problem.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »

It's their own BIOS in the motherboard which throws the error, not Windows. All computer/hardware manufacturers shove their own flavor of BIOS onto the mobo. It's just an example of HP getting in the way of the user fixing their own problem.
I see.

I read up on it a bit more. 
http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152

Apparently it's some god awful batch file that runs prior to windows loading.  So it doesn't look like it's encoded into the bios.  So the above post should work.